Shame on Orrin Hatch - The Patron Saint of Quack Medicine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
    Liability for infringement would go to the importer, not to the manufacturer.
    So you're saying that it's totally legal for some Chinese company to pull apart an iphone, see what makes it tick, start building their own and selling them - so long as they don't import them?

Back to the conversation at hand - I understand how free market works. And I understand that the drug companies need to make money on the stuff they've discovered that works in order to do research and development and keep making new stuff that works.

So how do we strike a balance between the drug companies keeping some income coming in from sales of their drugs overseas, with needing to charge enough to do R&D, with not JUST increasing costs in the US and doing all of your R&D on the backs of the American patient, with recognizing that you can't charge in other countries what you charge here because it would be cost prohibitive.

You can't just give the stuff away. But you can't let poor people die because they can't pay for it. Can you?

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
      So you're saying that it's totally legal for some Chinese company to pull apart an iphone, see what makes it tick, start building their own and selling them - so long as they don't import them?
      Yes, a patent only provides protection in the jurisdiction where it is granted. If there are no patents covering the invention in China, then it could be manufactured and sold there. A US patent is only enforceable in the US.
      "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
      "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
      This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
      "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
      "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post

Back to the conversation at hand - I understand how free market works. And I understand that the drug companies need to make money on the stuff they've discovered that works in order to do research and development and keep making new stuff that works.

So how do we strike a balance between the drug companies keeping some income coming in from sales of their drugs overseas, with needing to charge enough to do R&D, with not JUST increasing costs in the US and doing all of your R&D on the backs of the American patient, with recognizing that you can't charge in other countries what you charge here because it would be cost prohibitive.

You can't just give the stuff away. But you can't let poor people die because they can't pay for it. Can you?
        Don't forget all the US grant money they get to do research.
        "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• As I was making my way to the trailhead today, I overheard two ladies getting ready for a little hike. One said to the other, "I've got my lavender, in case of bee stings."

Comment

• Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
            As I was making my way to the trailhead today, I overheard two ladies getting ready for a little hike. One said to the other, "I've got my lavender, in case of bee stings."
            That's funny. We have a large patch of lavender in our front yard. When in bloom it is filled with bees. Haven't been stung yet but if happens I'll just roll around in the lavender.
            "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Anti-vaxxers fund large long-term study looking for a link between vaccine and autism. Study concludes there is no link.

http://www.newsweek.com/anti-vaxxers...9245?piano_t=1

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  Anti-vaxxers fund large long-term study looking for a link between vaccine and autism. Study concludes there is no link.

http://www.newsweek.com/anti-vaxxers...9245?piano_t=1

Is that article really a year old?
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                    Is that article really a year old?
                    I thought I'd already heard about that study, so it could be.

Edit: The paper that the article is based on is dated 10/6/2015, so probably.

http://www.pnas.org/content/112/40/12498.full.pdf
                    Last edited by Pelado; 10-12-2016, 05:19 PM.
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Fantastic Last Week Tonight on MLMs:

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Yep that John Oliver bit was great.

When your product sucks and is way too expensive then you sell false hope in addition to your product. Sad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                          Fantastic Last Week Tonight on MLMs:

Wrong thread.

Comment

• Good to see that in addition to being the Patron Saint of Quack Medicine that our wonderful senator has now voted in favor of ISPs tracking and selling customers browsing history.

We really need to give him another term. He really has our best interests in mind.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=43651289&nid=757
                            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                              Good to see that in addition to being the Patron Saint of Quack Medicine that our wonderful senator has now voted in favor of ISPs tracking and selling customers browsing history.

We really need to give him another term. He really has our best interests in mind.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=43651289&nid=757
                              Bastards!
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• I still have yet to hear any positives for why it is a good idea to pass this bill. What is the positive spin on this.

Comment

Working...
                                X