Shame on Orrin Hatch - The Patron Saint of Quack Medicine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
    I wonder if the fact that she would be higher up in the downline facilitated that answer in any way.
    I think the fact that she's leaving Do Terra tells us her relative position in the pyramid...

Originally posted by creekster View Post
    I prayed about oil once. My 1974 Fiat had a bad oil leak and, after parking it at a trail head for a week while we were backpacking, I prayed that there would be enough oil left in the block to allow us to get back home.
    Don't keep us in suspense!
    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

Comment

• I pray about oil on a daily basis....please stay above $90/barrel
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• I liked the Oilers when Giff Nielsen played, but I don't think I prayed for them. Not sure, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
          I didn't know Eck gave Boyd the nickname. Interesting.
          That's what I remember, it could have came from Eck himself while he was on air. But after looking into it a bit more, Eck probably popularized the "Oil Can" nickname more than giving it to him. Here's an interesting link that I came across that contains an interview with Oil Can. Nothing about the O's though:
          http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...t-his-nickname
          “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
          "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post

Don't keep us in suspense!
            The Rest Of The Story really belongs in a thread about prayers for gasoline. Upon returning to the mentioned and beloved Fiat I discovered that while the oil level was fine the Fiat had, at some point, developed a fuel leak. (Fiat's of the era were always fun that way. Almost every week it offered up some new mechanical challenge. I have posted about this car before; it's the one that went through so many clutch cables that I learned how to shift from first gear to third gear without using a clutch at all.) We were in the Uintah's and had so little fuel that we turned the engine off on every stretch of road that was even slightly down hill. But we made it to a gas station and, after locating all the coins we could find under the seats and in our pockets, bought enough gas to get back to SLC.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
              The Rest Of The Story really belongs in a thread about prayers for gasoline. Upon returning to the mentioned and beloved Fiat I discovered that while the oil level was fine the Fiat had, at some point, developed a fuel leak. (Fiat's of the era were always fun that way. Almost every week it offered up some new mechanical challenge. I have posted about this car before; it's the one that went through so many clutch cables that I learned how to shift from first gear to third gear without using a clutch at all.) We were in the Uintah's and had so little fuel that we turned the engine off on every stretch of road that was even slightly down hill. But we made it to a gas station and, after locating all the coins we could find under the seats and in our pockets, bought enough gas to get back to SLC.
              I may be repeating myself here, but there is just something about clutch cables and small cars that make for a bad combination. I owned my 1995 Suzuki Swift (Jellybean) for 9 years and replaced four clutch cables during that time period. The short distance between the clutch and the pedal, combined with a poorly-designed firewall, caused the cable to drag across the hole in the firewall and rub until severance. After it happened a second time, I learned to keep an extra clutch cable on hand just in case it happened at a critical point. And it did. And, like a good boyscout, I was effing ready both times.
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• My '82 Chevette had a related problem. The clutch cable was fine, actually too fine. For whatever reason, it look a lot of muscle to push the clutch in. So much that it broke the little plastic guide that housed the cable going through the firewall.

After this happened a couple of times, I went to the parts store and bought about 5. I think they were a couple bucks a piece. I became a master at replacing those.
                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

Comment

• America's favorite quack gets trolled on social media. Funny stuff.

http://news.doximity.com/entries/154...ser_id=5634913
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Super awesome supplements! http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...-fake-herbals/

Comment

• I thought this was interesting. From the Ensign, 1985:

Immunizations—a Reminder

Immunizations—a Reminder

Not too long ago small children were the victims of childhood diseases, the very names of which struck fear into the hearts of parents. Polio, whooping cough, diphtheria, and others maimed or killed thousands of children.

Today, with the use of immunizations, these diseases are becoming more and more uncommon. In fact, they are so uncommon that many parents have become lax about immunizing their children. Some feel that there is no need; others fear adverse side effects. But parents have an obligation to protect their families through immunization.

In 1978 the First Presidency issued a statement in support of immunization programs and urged parents to participate. The statement read in part: “Immunization is such a simple, yet vital, matter and such a small price to pay for protection against … destroying diseases.

“Failure to act could subject untold thousands to preventable lifelong physical or mental impairment, including paralysis, blindness, deafness, heart damage, and mental retardation.

“We urge members of the Church … to protect their own children through immunization. Then they may wish to join other public-spirited citizens in efforts to eradicate ignorance and apathy that have caused the disturbingly low levels of childhood immunization.” (Reported in Ensign, July 1978, p. 79.)

The accompanying immunization schedule can help you ensure that your child is adequately immunized. In following this schedule, it is important that you keep a record of the type of immunization, the date given, and the doctor or clinic that gave the immunization.

Age, Type of Immunization

2 months

First DTP—diptheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough) First polio

4 months

Second DTP Second polio

6 months

Third DTP

15 months

MMR—measles, mumps, rubella

18 months and older

Fourth DTP Third polio

4 to 6 years

Fifth DTP Fourth polio

TP booster—tetanus, diphtheria. Thereafter every ten years, or following a dirty wound if a booster has not been given in the preceding five years.

(Information taken from “Your New Baby” (PXRS0329), a pamphlet published by the Relief Society. The pamphlet can be ordered for 10¢ from Church distribution centers.)
                      “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                      ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                      -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                      --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Orrin and his quack medicine made the Ny Times! I hate how Salt Lake gets lumped into the Utah County crazy.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/02/06..._r=0&referrer=
                        I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                          Orrin and his quack medicine made the Ny Times! I hate how Salt Lake gets lumped into the Utah County crazy.

This is a great read:

http://www.collegiumaesculapium.org/...usceptible.pdf
                          We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                            Orrin and his quack medicine made the Ny Times! I hate how Salt Lake gets lumped into the Utah County crazy.

Ugh... I can't imagine how Orrin Hatch sleeps at night.

To understand how we got here, you have to go back to 1994, when Senator Orrin G. Hatch of Utah midwifed through Congress a new industry protected from all but minimal regulation. It is also an industry that would make many of his closest associates and family members rich. In turn, they’ve rewarded him with sizable campaign contributions.

Even though serious illnesses, and some deaths are on the rise from misuse of these supplements, Hatch is determined to keep regulators at bay. “I am committed to protect this industry and the integrity of its products,” he told a gathering of potency pill-pushers and the like in Utah last fall.

In the past, Hatch has been remarkably blunt about helping his family and friends in the fake drug trade. “I do whatever they ask me to do many times because they’ve never asked me to do anything that is improper,” Hatch said in 2011. He was referring to the firm of his son, Scott Hatch, a longtime lobbyist for the supplement industry.
                            Everyone wants to live longer, to be happier, to have better sex. And, if you think you can do it without exercise, or eating enough vegetables, or getting regular sleep, there are a thousand pills for you, sold not far from the candy counter. It’s all based on the honor system. If you trust them, go buy some possibly Ginkgo biloba-free Ginkgo biloba, and thank Orrin Hatch for the unfettered right to be a sucker.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                              Wow. Interesting history.
                              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                                Wow. Interesting history.
                                I thought so too. This seems to be an area in which the institutional unwillingness to say former leaders were "wrong" about this or that is damaging. Maybe I'll say more about this in the foyer.
                                We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

Working...
                                X