Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Shame on Orrin Hatch - The Patron Saint of Quack Medicine

Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    You don't after hearing her testing of talking to others during this investigation they might have additional questions for her?
    Probably nothing they couldn't do through her attorneys.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    I don't think so. Maybe after talking to others. But if those other interviews come up dry (and there's evidence that they will), what else is there to ask?
    There's evidence that there has been a lot of people who are trying to through to the FBI and getting the run around. Already deciding they won't have any questions seems premature.

I'm annoyed at whoever posted that tweet in here (NWC?). Now we have all this confirmation discussion in the wrong thread!
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    I'm annoyed at whoever posted that tweet in here (NWC?). Now we have all this confirmation discussion in the wrong thread!
    It was me. Sorry

I have been critical for Hatch as a bumbling old fool, reminiscent of Grandpa Simpson, but he hit it on the head this week when he was getting yelled at by protesters, and he said that we would be willing to talk to them when they "grow up". I am so tired of this uncivil behavior. I can understand how bad this will look to many, him telling sexual assault victims to "grow up", but the key here is that he did say he would be willing to talk, but a heated exchange in a hallway or elevator while on the way to another appointment is not the best forum for real discussion. Though I don't think the protesters do want real discussion, they just want their 15 sec soundbyte.

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

A fitting epitaph for this thread:

Orrin Hatch looking to build a big monument in his honor at the U. Trying to get $2M of taxpayer money to help fund it.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...medium=twitter
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Orrin Hatch looking to build a big monument in his honor at the U. Trying to get $2M of taxpayer money to help fund it.

Pitched by the former leader of the Utah democratic party.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Does Hatch think being the "Designated Survivor" means that he should get a Presidential Library like if he had been president?

When Weber St decided to create the Walker Institute, named after Olene Walker when she left office, they told her part of the deal was fundraising to build the thing. I like Hatch well enough - but I'd prefer if he wants to have this place as a memorial to himself, that he find somewhere to fundraise outside of the state coffers.

a day late/a dollar short Sullyute's Avatar

Hard pass. Why doesnít he use some of his war chest that was paid for by selling his soul to the pharmaceutical industry? Hatch, be gone!
    "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

People can hate on Hatch all they want, but his position in the senate has made Utah. HAFB would likely be BRACíd, yet itís the statesí largest single sight employer. Utah has a robust aerospace industry due to Hatchís work supporting Hill and NASA. Hate the MLM supplement industry, yet it provides thousands of white collar and manufacturing jobs in the state. Those jobs all provide a taxpayer base that separates us from Wyoming. Two million in state money is a pittance compared to what heís brought in through earmarks, directed funding and legislation over the years. Oh sure itís nice to play the populist, but all Utahans have significantly benefited from his time in the senate whether you like it or not.

UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar

Utahans?

No true Utahn would spell it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    Hate the MLM supplement industry, yet it provides thousands of white collar and manufacturing jobs in the state.
    Also, think of all the lawyers that NuSkin, Noni, Neways, Young Living, Nature's Sunshine, Xango has hired or has contracted! U-T-A-H! U-T-A-H! U-T-A-H!
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

You furnish the pictures, and Iíll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

People can hate on Hatch all they want, but his position in the senate has made Utah. HAFB would likely be BRAC’d, yet it’s the states’ largest single sight employer. Utah has a robust aerospace industry due to Hatch’s work supporting Hill and NASA. Hate the MLM supplement industry, yet it provides thousands of white collar and manufacturing jobs in the state. Those jobs all provide a taxpayer base that separates us from Wyoming. Two million in state money is a pittance compared to what he’s brought in through earmarks, directed funding and legislation over the years. Oh sure it’s nice to play the populist, but all Utahans have significantly benefited from his time in the senate whether you like it or not.
    I hate what the MLM companies/producys do to people, jobs or not. Let's get a Bennett statue first.

People can hate on Hatch all they want, but his position in the senate has made Utah. HAFB would likely be BRAC’d, yet it’s the states’ largest single sight employer. Utah has a robust aerospace industry due to Hatch’s work supporting Hill and NASA. Hate the MLM supplement industry, yet it provides thousands of white collar and manufacturing jobs in the state. Those jobs all provide a taxpayer base that separates us from Wyoming. Two million in state money is a pittance compared to what he’s brought in through earmarks, directed funding and legislation over the years. Oh sure it’s nice to play the populist, but all Utahans have significantly benefited from his time in the senate whether you like it or not.
    Good points. Yes, he did bring some pork to Utah and enabled an unethical industry to generate some jobs in Utah. Way to go, Orrin. I can't imagine another senator surpassing that over a period of 42 years in office.
    Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 02-15-2019 at 08:22 AM.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Hopefully the statue will be of him licking Trump's ass like he did for the last two years in office.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    Hopefully the statue will be of him licking Trump's ass like he did for the last two years in office.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Good points. Yes, he did bring some pork to Utah and enabled an unethical industry to generate some jobs in Utah. Way to go, Orrin. I can't imagine another senator surpassing that over a period of 42 years in office.
    That is an uncharitable representation of the position I put forward!

Agree. Senator Hatch's VORP has got to be abysmal, like Olowokandi bad.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Agree. Senator Hatch's VORP has got to be abysmal, like Olowokandi bad.
    You're incorrect.

To follow on my point to Walter, OGH is one of the most accomplished Senator's in the history of the institution using any relevant metric; committee assignments, tenure, chairmanship, legislation passed, etc. He can do the research if he wants to prove he's not wrong.

“We’re going to keep fighting, and we’re going to make this the greatest presidency that we’ve seen, not only in generations, but maybe ever.” - Orrin Hatch on President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    “We’re going to keep fighting, and we’re going to make this the greatest presidency that we’ve seen, not only in generations, but maybe ever.” - Orrin Hatch on President Donald Trump
    So what you're saying is now that Hatch is out of the picture Trump's butt has more room for your nose.

No matter how effective Hatch was as a senator (and I don't see anyone denying that he was), the request for taxpayer money to memorialize him is just unseemly. I know it's nothing new in politics, but surely there are some rich MLM folks who could pony up that extra cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    No matter how effective Hatch was as a senator (and I don't see anyone denying that he was), the request for taxpayer money to memorialize him is just unseemly. I know it's nothing new in politics, but surely there are some rich MLM folks who could pony up that extra cash.
    Walter did.

Walter did.
    I'm talking effective as in 'bringing home a lot of federal money'. Walter acknowledged that.

Let's also ignore all the financial devastation that the unethical industry also caused for probably more people than the jobs it created. Great job Orrin, great job. Will Orrin let some of the riff raff that is bankrupt/homeless because of MLM's pan handle outside his monument to his wonderfulness?
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    Let's also ignore all the financial devastation that the unethical industry also caused for probably more people than the jobs it created. Great job Orrin, great job. Will Orrin let some of the riff raff that is bankrupt/homeless because of MLM's pan handle outside his monument to his wonderfulness?
    Since it will be at the UU, panhandling decisions would likely be monitored campus police.

One would think all that unethical Utah-based companies would jump at the opportunity to donate toward a monument for their savior. And the U seems like the perfect place for it as well.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!