Black Mirror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Mirror

Has anyone else watched this series yet? I just finished last night. It's an anthology series from the UK, with two seasons so far and three episodes per season. It aired in the UK a couple years, and was just aired on a channel in the US this year so it had a lot of people buzzing in year-end lists and what not. From an Andy Greenwald article:

Through a Glass Darkly
    Beg. Borrow. Steal. It doesn't matter what you do, but find a way to watch Black Mirror.
    I’m not going to say much in detail about any of the six episodes. I don’t want you to be spoiled; what I want is for you to pay attention.1 Just know that every hour of Black Mirror asks rough, unsympathetic questions about the world we’ve made and the one we’re in the process of making and then, before you can even reach for an answer, it makes you complicit: After all, you’re the one sitting there, fumbling with your phone and watching. You may not like what you see, but neither are you turning it off. With the second episode, “Fifteen Million Merits,” about reality shows and mini-Miis and the ugly sting of media hypocrisy, it even implicates itself.
    http://grantland.com/features/the-re...-black-mirror/

Sepinwall was also pretty into it:

This British anthology series, which came to DirecTV late in the year, is a riveting "Twlight Zone" for the Internet age, presenting fiendishly clever stories about the many ways the series of tubes has stripped away basic pieces of our humanity without us even noticing. The series' creator Charlie Brooker wrote or co-wrote five of the six episodes, and he has a real skill for marrying grand satirical statements with small-scale human drama, like in the series' best installment, "Be Right Back," which demonstrates how much (or how little) of ourselves we put into what we do and say in social media, but tells it through a moving character story featuring a terrific performance by Hayley Atwell. Single-episode anthologies have gone out of fashion on American TV — the new vogue is season-long anthologies like "American Horror Story" or HBO's upcoming "True Detective" — but again and again, Brooker and company demonstrate the power of a perfectly-crafted short story.
    Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/galleries/top-...oi1P9bLrkFq.99

Given the anthology set up the results are pretty inconsistent. The episodes An Entire History of You and Be Right Back are the clear standouts, and then you have something like 15 Credits which I thought was actually kind of terrible. At any rate, pretty bizarre show that asks a lot of questions about technology and where we're headed it. The storylines are often exaggerated to make their point, and it can be a bit heavy-handed in its approach, but it asks some pretty thought-provoking questions, I think. Worth a watch if you have the time and are looking for something. An Entire History of You has been purchased by Robert Downey Jr.'s production company to be adapted into a feature film.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Watched those last year. they were awesome.

I also recommend Utopia. Very cool show.

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I don't understand. Is this a scripted show? Documentary? Do the episodes have any common story link or thread, or is just random stories on unconnected topics?
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
        I don't understand. Is this a scripted show? Documentary? Do the episodes have any common story link or thread, or is just random stories on unconnected topics?
        Kind of a better version of the Twilight Zone. The episodes aren't connected at all. I've only watched the first episode which was actually quite disturbing and in some ways implausible. I don't want to give too much away, but I find it hard to believe that an entire country would be so interested in watching something so grotesque.
        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
          Kind of a better version of the Twilight Zone. The episodes aren't connected at all. I've only watched the first episode which was actually quite disturbing and in some ways implausible. I don't want to give too much away, but I find it hard to believe that an entire country would be so interested in watching something so grotesque.
          Most of the episodes are implausible and go to my "exaggerated to make their point." They're also all quite disturbing.

Comment

is it on netflix? how are people watching it?
            also, what is it rated?
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
              Most of the episodes are implausible and go to my "exaggerated to make their point." They're also all quite disturbing.
              I just re-read my last post. I'm not saying the show itself grotesque -- I'm just talking about a plot point of the first episode that involved the whole country watching someone do something.

The episode I watched was quite good and I can see why Greenwald and Sepinwall like it.
              Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                is it on netflix? how are people watching it?
                also, what is it rated?
                The episode I watched was either R or a very strong PG-13. I can't remember how many times they dropped the f bomb, but probably enough to make it an R.

You can watch it either on DirecTV or downloading that browser extension that would allow you to watch it on Channel 4. Channel 4 isn't the Utah ABC affiliate, it's a British TV network and it has an online player for its shows like the BBC and ABC. I think it's kind of funny that they couldn't come up with a different name than Channel 4.

Comment

I just re-read my last post. I'm not saying the show itself grotesque -- I'm just talking about a plot point of the first episode that involved the whole country watching someone do something.

The episode I watched was quite good and I can see why Greenwald and Sepinwall like it.
                  Of course it wouldn't happen. The show is about "what ifs" that convey something about the pitfalls of the way we live. Everything that happens in pretty much all the episodes would never actually happen.

Comment

If you are watching on Channel 4. Phone Shop is hilarious.

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

The episode I watched was either R or a very strong PG-13. I can't remember how many times they dropped the f bomb, but probably enough to make it an R.

You can watch it either on DirecTV or downloading that browser extension that would allow you to watch it on Channel 4. Channel 4 isn't the Utah ABC affiliate, it's a British TV network and it has an online player for its shows like the BBC and ABC. I think it's kind of funny that they couldn't come up with a different name than Channel 4.
                      maybe I misunderstood. from gracies post I got the sense that you can watch the entire season somewhere. What channel on DirecTV?
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                        maybe I misunderstood. from gracies post I got the sense that you can watch the entire season somewhere. What channel on DirecTV?
                        Audience Network.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I watched these over the past week on Netflix. I agree with MG that the best ones were History and BRB. Good series.

Comment

I watched the first episode and was completely revolted. I had to watch the pivotal moments through my fingers- it was so utterly cringeworthy. It made me physically sick to my stomach. I can't wait to watch the rest of the episodes.

To answer some of the questions above, it doesn't show anything in terms of sex and violence, but Ep 1 says the F word about 5 times. But I would definitely caution against teens watching it due to the disturbing content. But then again, I would think that today's kids would be much more accepting of the disturbing content than adults.

Every episode is independent, just like The Twilight Zone series. There's probably 3 episodes per season, and Netflix has 2 seasons online.

Comment

Other than the first episode, which isn't really consistent with the theme of the others and is probably the weakest effort of the 7, the common thread seems to be to think of some technology that might become reality in the not-too-distant future, and then dramatize how it might go wrong. It's pretty cool stuff for the most part. Robert Downey Jr optioned one of the episodes a while back.

Comment

Working...
                              X