X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
    Spokane
    spokane is a good candidate for worst city in the country
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

I spent close to a month in Philly cumulatively for work. I don't get the hate for the city. I stayed at a Marriott by the airport. Maybe it wasn't so bad because I could drive home for the weekend and brought my wife and youngest daughter at the time for a week to hang out with me. The historic downtown area is great as is University City area. South Street at night is fun. Plus there are plenty of decent eats. Granted there are plenty of ghetto ass places too, but I never had to visit any of those. I was at UPenn and next to Children's Hospital the entire time.
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

I woke up this morning in Laughlin, NV. I should have included a picture of my sad looking breakfast. I was a solid representation of how I feel about this place.

Working for a pseudo government agency, I don't travel nearly as much as I did when I was in consulting but it also means that I have to undergo several training courses a year. That training has taken me to such glamorous places such as:

Yuma, Arizona
        San Luis Rio Colorado, Mexico
        Ridgecrest, CA
        Lake Isabella, CA
        The Border Inn outside Baker, NV (probably the worst of all)

Consulting work took me to gems like Roswell, NM (I'll second Vic Vega on this one, but the museum makes it all worth it!)
        Farmington, NM
        Spend WAY too much time in Mesquite, NV

Do tents count? I've had to camp in some real stinker spots for work before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
          I spent close to a month in Philly cumulatively for work. I don't get the hate for the city. I stayed at a Marriott by the airport. Maybe it wasn't so bad because I could drive home for the weekend and brought my wife and youngest daughter at the time for a week to hang out with me. The historic downtown area is great as is University City area. South Street at night is fun. Plus there are plenty of decent eats. Granted there are plenty of ghetto ass places too, but I never had to visit any of those. I was at UPenn and next to Children's Hospital the entire time.
          Terrible airport though. Weather makes accessing Philly a nightmare.

The city is a decent city most of the time, unless you have to do construction business there. Then the unions suck.
          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Quartzsite, AZ, nothing but wrinkles and dogs in strollers/baby packs as far as the eye can see.
            Get confident, stupid
            -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
              I woke up this morning in Laughlin, NV. I should have included a picture of my sad looking breakfast. I was a solid representation of how I feel about this place.

Working for a pseudo government agency, I don't travel nearly as much as I did when I was in consulting but it also means that I have to undergo several training courses a year. That training has taken me to such glamorous places such as:

Yuma, Arizona
              San Luis Rio Colorado, Mexico
              Ridgecrest, CA
              Lake Isabella, CA
              The Border Inn outside Baker, NV (probably the worst of all)

Consulting work took me to gems like Roswell, NM (I'll second Vic Vega on this one, but the museum makes it all worth it!)
              Farmington, NM
              Spend WAY too much time in Mesquite, NV

Do tents count? I've had to camp in some real stinker spots for work before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Roswell kicks ass. You just have to get to know it for a minute.

Comment

Originally posted by Vic Vega

Haha. The museum and gift shops are why I remember that trip. I got in 20 min before the museum closed. The UFO center was remarkable for how bad it was. So bad, it could not have been better. The people watching was AMAZING. I spent time in the oil fields for my first and last time, so it actually was an interesting trip. 95% of the time it's hotels office buildings and airports, so I should not complain about Roswell.
                They are finally upgrading the museum for the first time since the early 90's. Hopefully it will no longer resemble a highly informative 6th grade research project. My office was right behind the parking lot of the museum for four years and the tourists come rain or shine 364 days a year. More than 300 k every year, which makes it a joke that they had not done anything to make it a decent experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
                  Terrible airport though. Weather makes accessing Philly a nightmare.

The city is a decent city most of the time, unless you have to do construction business there. Then the unions suck.
                  I had very little resistance from the unions there. The only ones who caused any stink were some sheetmetal workers who supposed that the work our carpenters and iron workers were doing was work that belonged to them. A discussion with their steward cleared things up. Much easier than NYC. I was surprised by how many of the union guys travel from Philly to NYC for work. Most of them were happy to be working close to home.
                  "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
                    They are finally upgrading the museum for the first time since the early 90's. Hopefully it will no longer resemble a highly informative 6th grade research project. My office was right behind the parking lot of the museum for four years and the tourists come rain or shine 364 days a year. More than 300 k every year, which makes it a joke that they had not done anything to make it a decent experience.
                    There is a lot of money pouring in there. It looked like most, if not the rest, of my fellow museum patrons were full on tourists who were there for the museum. I hope they don't improve the place too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Vic Vega
                      I get really sick of the disrupted life. I don't even like eating out any more, so there isn't much I look forward to with business travel anymore.
                      Worst locations:
                      Roswell NM
                      Some little town outside of Toronto for a boring week
                      Boston without a GPS
                      I passionately hate traveling for business anymore. I traveled fairly often early in my career and never really enjoyed it, but I'm at a point where I hate it and have essentially stopped traveling for business at all. I hate staying in hotels alone, I don't like flying (the airports or the sky time) and like you I got tired of eating out constantly.

These days, I try to stay within Utah's borders, I drive everywhere I go and don't stay overnight in hotels if I can avoid it at all.
                      Last edited by smokymountainrain; 01-09-2014, 09:00 AM.
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

Comment

You sound like EPU.

I love traveling, but I can limit my trips to cool places, which is a nice perk.

I have enjoyed my business trips to Philly and I highly doubt that anyone here can make a better steak than some of the steak places there. Surprised to see so much hate for the City of Brotherly Love.
                        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                          Mesquite, NV.
                          Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                          Been to both of these doing gaming regulation work. Sucked.
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Riverton, WY. Spent a week and a half there collecting groundwater samples at old gas station locations. Gross.

Comment

For the record, Omaha does have great places to eat.

I spent nearly two years commuting to Denver. That sucked, but the city itself didn't (apart from the aggressive panhandlers and the potheads camping out on storefronts at night).

I used to do inspections/survey in some remote areas. But the worst city was probably Beaumont, TX. Flew into Houston in the middle of the summer and proceeded to drive east and it got continuously hotter, dirtier, and uglier the farther east I went.

Comment

Some weird places that I've done audits:

- Delta, UT (ate snow crab at a restaurant)
                                - somewhere near Price, UT (spent time in a coal mine that collapsed a couple years later)
                                - Billings, MT (fabulous sandwich shop downtown)
                                - West Palm Beach, FL (the hood, not the beach)
                                - Shreveport, LA

Lately my travel is limited to Singapore and London (both at least once a year), which is actually kind of cool.
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X