Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Resolutions

Quote Originally Posted by thesaint258 View Post
    I want (need) to learn Cantonese.
    Awesome goal!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Not make any resolutions.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Suck less than I did last year.
    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Suomalainen New Mexican Disaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Not make any resolutions.
    Oh brother.

Eat more bacon.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Trump-hating snowflake Jeff Lebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
    Oh brother.
    Hey, did I criticize your resolutions?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Eat more bacon.
    Hey, this is one I might be able to get behind.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Eat more bacon.
    I hereby give up my other resolution and adopt this one.
    Not that, sickos.

1. To run a half marathon.
    2. To lose fifty pounds in the process of training for and running said half marathon.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Tank View Post
    1. Lose 50 lbs
    2. Break 80
    3. Grow business by 100%
    4. Go back to school
    5. Build something
    6. Be more involved.
    Knocked that 2013 resolution out of the park!
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Knocked that 2013 resolution out of the park!
    True, but it happened in 2014...so not sure it counts.
    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    2. To lose fifty forty pounds in the process of training for and running said half marathon.
    ditto.
    I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

2. To lose 25 fifty pounds in the process of training for and running said half marathon.
    Ditto.

2. To lose fifty pounds in the process of training for and running said half marathon.
    Ditto.

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

I have spent a lot of time thinking about what I would like to accomplish in 2014, some of mine feel somewhat pedestrian compared to others in this thread. I do hope that people will bump this thread and update the progress on the goals.

Run over 800 miles
    Shoot 4 rounds below 88
    Finish a triathlon
    Finish a half marathon
    Weigh in at <230 on December 19, 2014
    Read 15 books
    Keep my garage clean and organized
    Not swear in front of my kids

At the risk of sounding like a churchy kinda guy, I really enjoyed Uchtdorf's article in the January Ensign about setting goals. Especially this thought

Quote Originally Posted by Ucht
    Another thing we need to remember when it comes to setting goals is this: We almost certainly will fail—at least in the short term. But rather than be discouraged, we can be empowered because this understanding removes the pressure of being perfect right now. It acknowledges from the beginning that at one time or another, we may fall short. Knowing this up front takes away much of the surprise and discouragement of failure.

When we approach our goals this way, failure doesn’t have to limit us. Remember, even if we fail to reach our ultimate, desired destination right away, we will have made progress along the road that will lead to it.

And that matters—it means a lot.

Even though we might fall short of our finish line, just continuing the journey will make us greater than we were before.

An old proverb says, “The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second-best time is now.”

There is something wonderful and hopeful about the word now. There is something empowering about the fact that if we choose to decide now, we can move forward at this very moment.

Now is the best time to start becoming the person we eventually want to be—not only 20 years from now but also for all eternity.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Pre-Historic Man

Donuthole has the best resolution of all, next to the Dude's.

I now prefer turkey bacon to pork bacon, but any bacon is better than no bacon.

Whereas it is in the best interests of Topper, it is hereby resolved that

Topper shall spend more time on exotic beaches,
    shall eat more turkey bacon,
    shall find exercise as pleasant and pleasurable as it once was before,

and furthermore shall take pleasure and delight in all things restful and energetic, and even enjoy a BYU game for once.

It is so resolved.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

I don't intend to report monthly, but given an opportunity for a self-aggrandizing post while encouraging others to stick with their resolutions, I'll take it. I'm on pace--ahead, actually--to reach Bar Harbor, Maine before the end of the year. I rode and ran more this past month than any January in my life (thanks in part to the devastating drought--why not take advantage?), despite having my busiest month professionally in 3+ years. I've ridden 370 miles and run 70 miles, and slept last night in Battle Mountain, NV. I'll be in Salt Lake City for Valentines Day. CJF, I hope you can see my diminishing backside.

Wow, that is fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm your huckleberry.

I did a spin class with my wife this morning. My ass is already sore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I don't intend to report monthly, but given an opportunity for a self-aggrandizing post while encouraging others to stick with their resolutions, I'll take it. I'm on pace--ahead, actually--to reach Bar Harbor, Maine before the end of the year. I rode and ran more this past month than any January in my life (thanks in part to the devastating drought--why not take advantage?), despite having my busiest month professionally in 3+ years. I've ridden 370 miles and run 70 miles, and slept last night in Battle Mountain, NV. I'll be in Salt Lake City for Valentines Day. CJF, I hope you can see my diminishing backside.
    You don't have to ask me twice. Nice work.

I was going to post in this thread on the 1st also. I'm on my way. I signed up for a 10k in May. I start training tomorrow. I'm excited to cross this off the list.

Nice work PAC! It's fun to see your workouts on Strava. Keep it up!
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

I've officially lost 40 pounds. When asked, I've been telling people I've lost 40 pounds, even though it was really 37 or 38, but its official now. I'm 2/3 of the way to my goal of 60. I hope the change in body shape doesn't mess up my golf swing. Which is another thing. I did this with out golfing and walking the course. I can't wait to see my new endurance on the back nine.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Quote Originally Posted by clackamascoug View Post
    I've officially lost 40 pounds. When asked, I've been telling people I've lost 40 pounds, even though it was really 37 or 38, but its official now. I'm 2/3 of the way to my goal of 60. I hope the change in body shape doesn't mess up my golf swing. Which is another thing. I did this with out golfing and walking the course. I can't wait to see my new endurance on the back nine.
    Nice work, clack.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

That's awesome. I predict that your change in body shape will benefit your golfing more than Taysom Hill's extra muscles harm his ability to throw a football.

Nice going Clack. I don't see how losing the weight could do anything but help your golf game.

Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    Nice going Clack. I don't see how losing the weight could do anything but help your golf game.
    fwiw... I've now lost 54 pounds, and am only 6 pounds away from my 60 pound goal. Unlike Indy there's no stress involved, and my eating choices and proportions are well under control. I feel like a new person.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

fwiw... I've now lost 54 pounds, and am only 6 pounds away from my 60 pound goal. Unlike Indy there's no stress involved, and my eating choices and proportions are well under control. I feel like a new person.
    Very impressive. How has this affected your golf game, other than attracting the attentions of the snack cart girl?

I'll still working my way across the country, having cyber-rolled into North Platte, NE, with this morning's ride. I should reach Chicago around the end of June.

I did play with Husky on a rainy April day, and the front was atrocious as I hooked everything, but on the back I figured it out and hit it straighter. It wasn't my home course and it was colder and wet, so my yardage wasn't summertime true, but I have to think I've lost some yardage. Age, and all factor in too.
    Last edited by clackamascoug; 04-21-2014 at 11:46 AM.

Good work and hats off to you, Clack. That takes commitment and consistency.
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I had a goal to run 1000 miles this year. Hit that this morning. Uped the goal to 1200 for the year.