2014 Resolutions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Resolutions

The current Holiday Challenge, like its predecessors, has been very motivating for me. I'm in the middle of the pack (nothing close to the herculean efforts of CJF, OB, Happyone and JIC), but I've definitely gotten out more, and run a little farther, than I would have without it. I envision some of you standing outside my house bugging me to get off my butt and move (get off my lawn, btw).

I've been thinking about what could sustain me through a year's worth of effort and, in the hope that public humiliation will motivate me, I'm posting here that in 2014 I'm going to self-propel the distance equivalent from the Golden Gate Bridge to Bar Harbor, Maine (3,260 miles). I'll include my cycling (looking to complete my first double metric century and CS ride, of course) and running miles (another half, perhaps), but not routine walking.

I start New Year's morning and hope to see the Atlantic Ocean before Christmas, but it'll take a year free of serious illness or injury to do it. My other resolution is to touch my toes, a goal that has eluded me in years past but which I shall achieve in 2014 or I'll go under hostile's knife to sever those stubborn tendons.

Here's last year's resolution thread. It looks like many or most hit their goals, or at least came close.

Add our own goals for the year and let the power of peer pressure work for you.

Great idea. I have thought a lot about my fitness goals for next year. I want to put in a minimum of 65 miles a week in 2014. That would be 3,380 miles. I'll find another 120 miles somewhere along the way for a total of 3,500 miles. I want to run both a 5k and a 10k in 2014. Those goals would have seemed unfathomable just 18 months ago. Now I think I'll be very disappointed if all aren't met.

I will race you to Bar Harbor.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

i vow to start attending yoga regularly

Comment

I'd like to stop being so lazy. I have been coasting since I did the Death Ride a few years ago. I would like to race two 1/2 marathons this year, and run a 5k under 20 minutes again. May even get back into the world of triathlons and do an olympic distance.

Comment

I want swim 50 miles next year.
          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
            I want swim 50 miles next year.
            Finally going to make that trip to Cuba?

Comment

Folsom lake international triathlon. May 10th. Just over 4 months to get ready. Plenty of time. See you there!!!

Comment

Athletic:

- 2 Ironmans
                - 3 Marathons
                - Drop under 170 (FINALLY!!!!!!!!!)
                - 1500 running
                - 2500 cycling
                - 100 swimming

Other:

- Learn how to play guitar
                - Create a rough draft of my book
                Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                  Folsom lake international triathlon. May 10th. Just over 4 months to get ready. Plenty of time. See you there!!!
                  Folsom Lake, home of Mormon Island! It is a must for the triathletes on this board.

http://www.kcra.com/news/dry-spell-r...z/-/index.html
                  *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                    That's what I'm talking about. We need a CUF tri in 2014. There are at least six here who should be in, and that doesn't even count PAC.
                    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                      That's what I'm talking about. We need a CUF tri in 2014. There are at least six here who should be in, and that doesn't even count PAC.
                      I love the idea, but that's a bad date for me. I am doing a sprint tri the weekend before, and an Ironman the weekend after.
                      Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
                        I love the idea, but that's a bad date for me. I am doing a sprint tri the weekend before, and an Ironman the weekend after.
                        Maybe something in the fall, so ER has some time to recover.
                        "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                          Maybe something in the fall, so ER has some time to recover.
                          Fall is better for me. I can't swim till the park pool opens up for the summer.

Comment

Health Goals -

1. Drop 25 lbs. I started 2013 weighing 384 lbs. I am ending 2013 weighing 359. I am not setting any records, but that is sustainable weight loss that should be able to be maintained fairly easy.
                            2. Meet my fitbit goal 80% of the year. It is set for 10,000 steps, which is 5 miles. If I do that, that will give me 1,460 miles walked for the year.
                            3. Eat better. Sometimes I feel like I am a garbage disposal.

Athletics -

1. Break 80.
                            2. Ride in a half century. I am actually going to get a Specialized Hybrid bike to make cycling a tad easier. I want to get below 350# before I spend the money on the bike though.

Life -

1. Read 12 books this year. Fiction and Non-Fiction combined.
                            2. Read the scriptures on average of 5 days a week.
                            3. Be a kick ass grandpa.

I may add more, or edit this list as I go.

Comment

To me, riding a bike more than a few miles is a lot. I'm not a bike rider. But my uncle and cousin are. They have ridden across the country several times in a single trip. East to west and north to south. I think my cousin rode the Tour de France ahead of the actual race. So is a goal to ride the equivalent in a single year much of an accomplishment? It would be for me. Is it for an experienced rider? Maybe I should just have even more respect for my uncle than I already do.

Comment

Working...
                              X