Church begins inoculation efforts on historical issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Saw this quote this morning in a FB discussion about the gospel topics essays on LDS.org. This dude was arguing from an ultra-orthodox angle. I was laughing about this all day:
    I'm trying to decide if I prefer to be an Anti-Mormon Gadfly or a Swarming Gnat. I'm declining to adopt Intellectual Poseur, because I don't pretend to be an intellectual. I think I like Anti-Mormon Gadfly the most.
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
      Top shelf? You're still talking about Mos here. Well all the way, like Shasta or Great Value soda at a Primary activity.
      It could be worse, it could be Great Value soda or Shasta mixed with Popov Vodka at an ex-Mo activity.
      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
        It could be worse, it could be Great Value soda or Shasta mixed with Popov Vodka at an ex-Mo activity.
        go with swarm.

funk will swarm
        on any mutha***ker in a church uniform
        just cause he's from the SLC
        Punk GAs are afraid of he
        an old exmo on a warpath
        and when he finished
        its gonna be a blood path
        of mo's dying (spiritually) in in the latter day
        yo Dehlin he got somthin' to say
        Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• The most aggressive, hateful ex-mo I know posted the same talk about coffee the same day that Funk did. Not surprised they are hanging out on the same forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
            I'm trying to decide if I prefer to be an Anti-Mormon Gadfly or a Swarming Gnat. I'm declining to adopt Intellectual Poseur, because I don't pretend to be an intellectual. I think I like Anti-Mormon Gadfly the most.
            Just be funked out.
            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
              go with swarm.

funk will swarm
              on any mutha***ker in a church uniform
              just cause he's from the SLC
              Punk GAs are afraid of he
              an old exmo on a warpath
              and when he finished
              its gonna be a blood path
              of mo's dying (spiritually) in in the latter day
              yo Dehlin he got somthin' to say
              Not bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                The most aggressive, hateful ex-mo I know posted the same talk about coffee the same day that Funk did. Not surprised they are hanging out on the same forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                You read the craft beer thread! I'm honored.
                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Not sure how new this is, but Dehlin referenced a church essay about the angel Moroni. The interesting part is that it addresses the confusion between him and Nephi in early church documents:

https://www.lds.org/languages/eng/co...s/angel-moroni

tl;dr: Despite JS being an editor of more than one official church document that stated it was Nephi, rather than Moroni, who first appeared to him, it's a scribe's fault for the controversy.

I know most hardened ex-mos and progmos know about the controversy, but I haven't seen it endorsed in anything more official than Fairmormon until now. Why now? Has it become a big enough controversy to warrant a response?
                  "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                  "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                  - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                    Not sure how new this is, but Dehlin referenced a church essay about the angel Moroni. The interesting part is that it addresses the confusion between him and Nephi in early church documents:

https://www.lds.org/languages/eng/co...s/angel-moroni

tl;dr: Despite JS being an editor of more than one official church document that stated it was Nephi, rather than Moroni, who first appeared to him, it's a scribe's fault for the controversy.

I know most hardened ex-mos and progmos know about the controversy, but I haven't seen it endorsed in anything more official than Fairmormon until now. Why now? Has it become a big enough controversy to warrant a response?
                    The church has been developing this new book series called Saints that will go in depth into church history and tell it like a dramatized narrative. In conjunction with that, they are developing lots of new mini essays like that one on Angel Moroni that will be used as cross reference material. Steve Harper, a BYU professor that I would call more of a straight shooter type than an Apologist type, is leading this I think, or at least he's very heavily involved. He said they are almost going out of their way to address every controversial church history topic in the book and with the cross reference material. That Angel Moroni essay is one of about 20 that covers just the very first portion of the book.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                      The church has been developing this new book series called Saints that will go in depth into church history and tell it like a dramatized narrative. In conjunction with that, they are developing lots of new mini essays like that one on Angel Moroni that will be used as cross reference material. Steve Harper, a BYU professor that I would call more of a straight shooter type than an Apologist type, is leading this I think, or at least he's very heavily involved. He said they are almost going out of their way to address every controversial church history topic in the book and with the cross reference material. That Angel Moroni essay is one of about 20 that covers just the very first portion of the book.
                      Thanks, I hadn’t heard that. Another essay on the site is on divining rods and D&C 8(?). Again, another reference to something I wouldn’t expect to see outside of the exmo crowd.
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

Thanks, I hadn’t heard that. Another essay on the site is on divining rods and D&C 8(?). Again, another reference to something I wouldn’t expect to see outside of the exmo crowd.
                        On the divining rod, this has been up a long time. It's dated 2012. Not sure if it's been up that long, but I know it's not new.

https://history.lds.org/article/doct...wdery?lang=eng

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                          On the divining rod, this has been up a long time. It's dated 2012. Not sure if it's been up that long, but I know it's not new.

https://history.lds.org/article/doct...wdery?lang=eng
                          That's a different article that doesn't explicitly reference the editorial change from 'rod of nature' to 'gift of Aaron', though it does include the original verbage. But the article 'Divining Rods' on the same page has this very subtle inclusion:

Early versions of the revelation in Doctrine and Covenants 8 state that Oliver Cowdery had “the gift of working with the sprout” or the “rod of nature,” indicating that he used a divining rod at some point. The Lord acknowledged Cowdery’s gift, declaring that “there is no other power save God that can cause this thing of Nature to work in your hands.” When Church leaders prepared this revelation for inclusion in the Doctrine and Covenants in 1835, they called Cowdery’s gift “the gift of Aaron,” reflecting its similarity to Aaron’s rod.
                          https://www.lds.org/languages/eng/co.../divining-rods
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

That's a different article that doesn't explicitly reference the editorial change from 'rod of nature' to 'gift of Aaron', though it does include the original verbage. But the article 'Divining Rods' on the same page has this very subtle inclusion:

https://www.lds.org/languages/eng/co.../divining-rods
                            I dont know when or why the sentence you highlighted was added, but I am pretty sure it was there when I was GD instructor in the last cycle through the D&C. I know I discussed it.
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                              I dont know when or why the sentence you highlighted was added, but I am pretty sure it was there when I was GD instructor in the last cycle through the D&C. I know I discussed it.
                              Interesting. I had never heard it in church before.
                              - SeattleUte

Comment

• GD is my favorite abbreviation in the church, I think.

Comment

Working...
                                X