Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We've got another holiday to worry about. It seems Thanksgiving Day is upon us.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've done as big as an 18ish lb bird before. It worked fine.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
      Put a tarp or garbage bag directly on top of the fryer to protect it from the rain.
      Be careful, DDD. This is a trap. I am not sure what you did, but YO wants you to die in a turkey and grease inferno.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        What sort of injection? Im making a garlic-based rub but need some ideas for injection.

Im setting up the fryer on the far side of my driveway, so plenty of space between the hot pot and the house. Im actually more concerned about weather. What do you do if it is snowing or raining? Seems like that could make things very difficult.
        I've never had it snow or rain. I suspect snow isn't a big deal but may make it harder to heat the oil in cold temps. Rain in Utah is also probably not that bad but a torrential storm like you could get elsewhere would suck.

I use a cajun butter injection - one point bottle per bird. Comes with a nifty syringe and needle too. Everybody loves it, and I inject just prior to frying. I bet some of the pit Masters here have some good ideas.
        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
          I've never had it snow or rain. I suspect snow isn't a big deal but may make it harder to heat the oil in cold temps. Rain in Utah is also probably not that bad but a torrential storm like you could get elsewhere would suck.

I use a cajun butter injection - one point bottle per bird. Comes with a nifty syringe and needle too. Everybody loves it, and I inject just prior to frying. I bet some of the pit Masters here have some good ideas.
          please send me a link to a brand you recommend. Cajun butter injection with a garlic rub sounds pretty tasty to me.

Next up, where do local yokels buy fresh turkeys? I dont want to worry about thawing a frozen bird.
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

please send me a link to a brand you recommend. Cajun butter injection with a garlic rub sounds pretty tasty to me.

Next up, where do local yokels buy fresh turkeys? I dont want to worry about thawing a frozen bird.
            Understandable, as thawing is a lot of hard work.
            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
              Especially since you have to touch it and all.
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I dont mind the work, I just dont want to be worried!

sigpic

Comment

Moroni Utah is the turkey capital of the country. Or so a weird sister missionary from Moroni told me.

Go to cajuninjector.com. I use their creole butter. I did not like their creole garlic though.
                  Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

I won a $100 Cabella's gift card at dinner I did not attend, with a raffel tick I did not buy myself. So I went and got a turkey fryer. I'll be frying for the first time this year. I suspect if it starts raining I'll just set up a canopy. I've never brined or injected a bird, so I'll have to do some reading about it.

My brother cooked a bird once upside down, to keep the juices in the breast. At some point, he cooked a pecan stuffing, and cut open the bottom of the bird, and layed it out on top of the stuffing. This was all carefully synchronized so that the turkey and stuffing finished at the same time.

Comment

For those smoking a turkey or roasting for that matter, put a bag or bags of ice on top of the turkey breast for an hour before you cook the bird. This will cool the breast while the legs and thighs start coming up in temp. This will help the light and dark meat reach the desired doneness closer to the same time.
                      "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                        For those smoking a turkey or roasting for that matter, put a bag or bags of ice on top of the turkey breast for an hour before you cook the bird. This will cool the breast while the legs and thighs start coming up in temp. This will help the light and dark meat reach the desired doneness closer to the same time.
                        Alton. Brown. Foil. Triangle.

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

I don't know. I share the bed with a bird I've been trying to thaw out for years.

And for the record Creekster, touching doesn't help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                            I don't know. I share the bed with a bird I've been trying to thaw out for years.
                            It sounds like we agree. It also sounds like you may have reason to place some late-night calls to Jake from State Farm.

Comment

It sounds like we agree. It also sounds like you may have reason to place some late-night calls to Jake from State Farm.
                              this is one of my favorite commercials in who knows how long. I still laugh when I see it and it has inspired my latest catch phrase designed to annoy MMM: "she sounds hideous!" I will say it whenever and it rarely makes sense in the context in which it is used. All the more reason it makes me laugh.

sigpic

Comment

This year we are with my in-laws in Vegas. Which I don't mind because my BIL loves to cook and takes it upon himself to prepare and cook 80% of the meal. We are responsible for the pies this year. I have a pumpkin pie recipe I like a lot. I'll do two pumpkin but I have to figure out a couple more. Probably just easier to stop by Marie Callender's

Comment

Working...
                                X