Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We've got another holiday to worry about. It seems Thanksgiving Day is upon us.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
    Cook it to the right temperature. Outside of that, turkey's turkey.
    Spoken like a true epicure.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

You turkey haters, gtfo this thread.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        I agree with the Dude. Turkey is awesome and I will not except any other opinions, man.

I'm at the parents this year and I'll be making the apple/green chile pie and a bourbon pumpkin cheesecake. Sadly, my parents don't brine the turkey. I may go over the night before and brine the damn thing to improve it. Still it is turkey and awesome.
        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Couldn't agree more. Turkey is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
            Wherever you getting your fresh whole turkey breasts?
            Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
              Cook it to the right temperature. Outside of that, turkey's turkey.
              There's the rub. If you cook it to the right temperature for the breast, the dark meat is undercooked. If you cook it to the right temperature for the dark meat, the breast is too dry. The bigger the turkey, the more pronounced the problem. Days gone by, you'd even have to worry about the temperature of the stuffing as well. It's the hellish triumverate of turkey temperature variability.

Thankfully, saner heads prevail in the 20 to the 13, and nobody cooks the stuffing in the turkey anymore.

Of course, this whole pickle goes away if you just deep fry the turkey. But someone'll burn for it.

Comment

I got some turkey at at Rudy's the other day- it was straight succulent. I don't know how they made it, though.
                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                  I think after it is decapitated and cooked it is unlikely the turkey can taste at all, let alone well.
                  Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                  God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                  Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                    Thankfully, saner heads prevail in the 20 to the 13, and nobody cooks the stuffing in the turkey anymore.
                    Well, my wife still likes to cook the stuffing in the turkey. We actually make some both ways, some cooked with the bird and some separate. And I love turkey, but I'm probably also a heretic to you guys because I cook it until every piece of meat is thoroughly cooked.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                      There's the rub. If you cook it to the right temperature for the breast, the dark meat is undercooked. If you cook it to the right temperature for the dark meat, the breast is too dry. The bigger the turkey, the more pronounced the problem. Days gone by, you'd even have to worry about the temperature of the stuffing as well. It's the hellish triumverate of turkey temperature variability.

Of course, this whole pickle goes away if you just deep fry the turkey. But someone'll burn for it.
                      You need to learn Alton Brown's tinfoil trick (I think of it as a turkey bra) to cook to the right temp for the dark meat while not drying out the breast.

Comment

I've only smoked turkey breast, and it was easy and delicious (mesquite smoked). I don't think I'd bother to mess with a whole bird. My mom is roasting the traditional bird for Thanksgiving dinner, but we'll have 35+ people at their house for dinner so I've been asked to supplement the meat with some smoked turkey. My plan is to buy two turkey breasts and smoke them.

I'm really big on gravy for Thanksgiving dinner so I think I may actually buy a sacrificial bird and cook that just for the drippings and gravy.
                        "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                          I agree with the Dude. Turkey is awesome and I will not except any other opinions, man.
                          I don't think that's right.
                          Get confident, stupid
                          -landpoke

Comment

Back to DDD's real question, frying is the best, but you have to take precautions. Alton Brown has a great good eats episode on the technique and safety. I'm not as nuts as he is when it comes to that kind of thing but you do need to take precautions. Fry outdoors only, away from flammable surfaces. Cook small birds - 13 lbs or less. Cook two birds if you need more meat - you can use the same oil. Ensure you've measured out the right amount of oil before heating by putting the bird in the fryer, full with water just to cover, and then pull the bird out to see how much water is there. Use that amount of oil or a bit less - oil expands.

MAKE DAMM SURE YOUR BIRD IS 100 PERCENT THAWED BEFORE IT IS IN THE SAME ZIP CODE AS THE HOT OIL. THIS TAKES AT LEAST 24 HOURS.

Cook for three mins a pound. I inject with a commercial product but this year we may make something.
                            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
                              Back to DDD's real question, frying is the best, but you have to take precautions. Alton Brown has a great good eats episode on the technique and safety. I'm not as nuts as he is when it comes to that kind of thing but you do need to take precautions. Fry outdoors only, away from flammable surfaces. Cook small birds - 13 lbs or less. Cook two birds if you need more meat - you can use the same oil. Ensure you've measured out the right amount of oil before heating by putting the bird in the fryer, full with water just to cover, and then pull the bird out to see how much water is there. Use that amount of oil or a bit less - oil expands.

MAKE DAMM SURE YOUR BIRD IS 100 PERCENT THAWED BEFORE IT IS IN THE SAME ZIP CODE AS THE HOT OIL. THIS TAKES AT LEAST 24 HOURS.

Cook for three mins a pound. I inject with a commercial product but this year we may make something.
                              What sort of injection? Im making a garlic-based rub but need some ideas for injection.

Im setting up the fryer on the far side of my driveway, so plenty of space between the hot pot and the house. Im actually more concerned about weather. What do you do if it is snowing or raining? Seems like that could make things very difficult.
                              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                                What sort of injection? Im making a garlic-based rub but need some ideas for injection.

Im setting up the fryer on the far side of my driveway, so plenty of space between the hot pot and the house. Im actually more concerned about weather. What do you do if it is snowing or raining? Seems like that could make things very difficult.
                                Put a tarp or garbage bag directly on top of the fryer to protect it from the rain.

Comment

Working...
                                X