Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We've got another holiday to worry about. It seems Thanksgiving Day is upon us.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should have foiled sooner so the skin is blackened in a few spots. This bird is so massive (21 lbs) that it barely fit in the Traeger.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

• I pulled at 160. It was very juicy.

I'm going to be honest, I'm not very happy. I got a bunch of compliments, but I didn't like the butter flavor, and it was probably too moist. I will just brine and rub next time, no injection of that death butter concoction.

Oh well, people seemed to enjoy themselves.
      "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
        I pulled at 160. It was very juicy.

I'm going to be honest, I'm not very happy. I got a bunch of compliments, but I didn't like the butter flavor, and it was probably too moist. I will just brine and rub next time, no injection of that death butter concoction.

Oh well, people seemed to enjoy themselves.
        Too moist? Really?
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Too moist? Really?
          I know, I now. But trust me, too moist, soaked in butter and Cajun spices that really clashed with turkey gravy.
          "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• BTW, a bunch of really nice looking birds.

On another note, The Diner is the most underrated forum on CS.

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• My best turkey yet. CJF FTW!

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Deep fry

deep fry.jpg

Fry

fried turkey.jpg

Roasted with the turkey triangle

turkey triangle.jpg

A few notes:
                1. All the hullabaloo about dangerous turkey frying is for morons, apparently. Zero issues with the turkey fry. All of those youtube videos are scaring people away from cooking something that is delish and really easy. As long as you remember a few key rules, you are absolutely fine.
                2. Turkey triangle for a roasted turkey is ab-fab. Alton knows his stuff. I pulled my roaster at 161 breast and the dark meat was just slightly above 180. It was perfect. I actually let it sit for about an hour (not by choice....everyone else was still scrambling to finish their dishes, a huge pet peeve of mine when people arent ready at the appointed meal time) but that sucker was oozing juice and flava. On the roaster, I rubbed under the skin but didnt inject. no need to, imo. I agree with what said earlier...cajun spices are good with cajun dishes. We rarely cook cajun thanksgivings so I dont want a cajun bird.
                3. Fried turkey is really delish. Peanut oil, rub under skin, butter injection. Very moist. Not as moist as turkey triangle, however. The flavor is really unique for a turkey. I will definitely do one again, although I may go smoked next time to give that a shot.

We are barely getting to dessert now. My wife is thinking about hitting Black Friday with her mom and sisters, leaving me to watch TV and relax all evening.
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Nobody gave you a heads up to protect your concrete with plywood? I hope you don't mind stains

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

• Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                    Nobody gave you a heads up to protect your concrete with plywood? I hope you don't mind stains

my BIL was supposed to bring a new large metal oil pan from his work..he is a machanic. Unfortunately, he showed up about an hour and a half late and I had to get started. no biggie. Power wash with hot water, oil and grease is gone. In the future, I will likely purchase my own metal pan. Plywood is gauche!
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• I did the Turkey Triangle as well. Delish!

Comment

• Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                        Nobody gave you a heads up to protect your concrete with plywood? I hope you don't mind stains

He may want a broom, too.

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• Roomba. Brooms are so gauche.

I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

• Going on the cooker:

Finished:

Some cuts plated:

"What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Turkey triangle here as well. Turned out great!
                              I'm like LeBron James.
                              -mpfunk

Comment

• i don't know how it tasted, but JP wins the beauty contest, hands down.
                                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Working...
                                X