Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
    This must be the way it's done already. The lien is what gives the government the right to arrest the cattle. They will then auction them in a sherriff's sale to satisfy the lien to the extent funds are availalbe. The Bundys will get what's left over if anything.

cowboy, you may be able to pick up some of Bundy's livestock at distressed prices.
    So might you, ax splitter!
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      This is true. I have relatives that have said (and sometimes still say) some really dumb and offensive things. But most of it comes from culture and ignorance and they are good people.

That being said, Bundy's comments about picking cotton and blacks maybe being better off under slavery are among the most vile and offensive things one could say. That takes the concept of a brain fart/stupid comment to a whole new level.
      It seems from listening to more of context of Bundy's "sermon" that the NY Times took some of the quotes out of context and didn't quote everything actually... It seems that Bundy is trying to say the government has made their condition worse by claiming the government has taken away their freedom somehow. Of course, he doesn't state his case very well (and it is no wonder he lost his case in federal court trying to represent himself). What is interesting is some of the things he says about the hispanics (e.g. "don't tell me they don't work hard", "don't tell me they don't pay taxes", "they have better family structures than most white peoples", etc.). Those comments don't seem to be that of a racist. So the question is why didn't the NYT include Bundy's comments about the "spanish people". It seems yet another case of the NYT creating the news rather than reporting the news.

Here is more of the context than what the NYT gives:

It seems that Cliven Bundy is more of a dumbass red neck than a racist.
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
        Yep, or at best a very uneducated, inarticulate guy. Still an embarrassment to Mormons in any case.
        “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
        ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
        -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
        --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Apparently some Mormons have a hard time recognizing racism.
          That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

Comment

• Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
            Apparently some Mormons have a hard time recognizing racism.
            The very best thing anyone can say about his statements are that they are stupid and racist, no matter the context. I don't know the man so I can't say more about him as an individual. I also haven't followed the story (I'm not a big Tea Party fan). I just cringe when people like him get a huge news media platform and reflect poorly on Mormonism.
            “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
            ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
            -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
            --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
              Apparently some Mormons have a hard time recognizing racism.
              It has become a semantic argument. Most people now, including you, apparently, believe that anyone who makes an offensive statement is automatically a racist. Others disagree, and hold to the more narrow definition of a racist being one who believes their skin color/race makes them superior to those of different skin colors/races. Bundy is certainly a racist by the first definition, but he may not be by the second definition. Unfortunately, I believe there are plenty of progressives who are not racists by the first definition but definitely are by the second.
              sigpic
              "Outlined against a blue, gray
              October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
              Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                It seems from listening to more of context of Bundy's "sermon" that the NY Times took some of the quotes out of context and didn't quote everything actually... It seems that Bundy is trying to say the government has made their condition worse by claiming the government has taken away their freedom somehow. Of course, he doesn't state his case very well (and it is no wonder he lost his case in federal court trying to represent himself). What is interesting is some of the things he says about the hispanics (e.g. "don't tell me they don't work hard", "don't tell me they don't pay taxes", "they have better family structures than most white peoples", etc.). Those comments don't seem to be that of a racist. So the question is why didn't the NYT include Bundy's comments about the "spanish people". It seems yet another case of the NYT creating the news rather than reporting the news.

Here is more of the context than what the NYT gives:

I watched the longer version and it doesn't make me think he is less racist. What he said was disgusting and racist. He is a John Birch type of racist. I agree though, that the guy is a dipshit.

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                Yep, or at best a very uneducated, inarticulate guy. Still an embarrassment to Mormons in any case.
                He is an absolute embarrassment to Mormons. I don't get why some people feel like they have to defend or explain away his words. He thinks black people had better opportunities when they were enslaved and subservient to white people. That is both ignorant and racist. It is silly to try to pin this on the NY Times.

Comment

• This guy isn't worth all this attention. I'm sorry he's highlighted the mindset of many especially rural Mormons particularly of his generation. But he's an artifact. No more significant than that.

But I'm sure Uncle Ted wasn't being apologitic or minimizing to the exent there was racism. I haven't bothered to watch the video and I'm not going to. I imagine he said something like the welfare state is as bad as slavery for what it has done to blacks. That statement is offensive for a lot of reasons, but it could be construed as not a racist comment. I think it was racist. One problem is that some people just can't get over habitually regarding people in terms of their race whatever they're talking about. There's something wrong with that.

This yahoo had his fifteen minutes of fame and now it's time to let him quickly sink into oblivion.
                  When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Is he Mormon?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/27/sp...g.html?hp&_r=0
                    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

I listened to the comments, he seems like a guy scared that Magic and othe black guys are banging his woman and very upset of her flaunting making him a cuckold. He used the term minority uncomfortably many times, but she was trying hard to get him to say something awful about each group and he kept saying that he didn't want her flaunting it in public.

If he's racist, he's savvy enough to not say really vile things. I don't think he's Mormon.
                      Get confident, stupid
                      -landpoke

Comment

• I mentioned on FB that Cliven is just a product of living an insulated lifestyle, in an insulated place, with a paradigm that was helped formed by an insulated religion. I don't fault him for the terms he uses. Clearly he hasn't closely interacted with many black people in his life. But ignoring the antiquated vocabulary does not excuse the idea that any current condition amongst inner city African Americans is at all comparable to slavery. Whether out of ignorance or idiocy, the rhetoric is a giant finger to just how deplorable and inhumane the conditions slavery were forced to endure. Or, in many cases, not endure. So as clumsily as the supposition may have been verbalized, the very thought process is almost comical. History doesn't need Cliven to convince us that slavery wasn't so bad.

Having said all of that, I like to think that although we're all probably a little more racist than we care to admit, few of us are really as racist as we sound.
                        I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                          I mentioned on FB that Cliven is just a product of living an insulated lifestyle, in an insulated place, with a paradigm that was helped formed by an insulated religion.
                          No way! You really mentioned that on Facebook? Wow.

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                            No way! You really mentioned that on Facebook? Wow.
                            I wouldn't lie to you. Not about Facebook.

On a separate note, the Nevada state Senator quoted in this KSL article is a member of my stake presidency. It's almost enough to make me regret missing the adult session of stake conference that starts in 10 minutes. Almost.

http://m.ksl.com/index/story/sid/29633832
                            I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                              It has become a semantic argument. Most people now, including you, apparently, believe that anyone who makes an offensive statement is automatically a racist. Others disagree, and hold to the more narrow definition of a racist being one who believes their skin color/race makes them superior to those of different skin colors/races. Bundy is certainly a racist by the first definition, but he may not be by the second definition. Unfortunately, I believe there are plenty of progressives who are not racists by the first definition but definitely are by the second.
                              I wonder which kind of racist Harry Reid falls under...

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...=1#post1091672
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Is he from Nevada?
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X