Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
    Did I hear right. Is this thing all about saving some Turtle? How noble we are. Cultures and societies have become and are becoming far more about us and nature all living in perfect harmony.

I wouldn't doubt when we eventually prove ourselves, nature will decide to make hurricanes, tornadoes less destructive. We can coincide with nature if only we will listen to people like Al Gore.
    Wasn't it in Vegas Al went like a turtle and stuck his head out?
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
      Wasn't it in Vegas Al went like a turtle and stuck his head out?
      LOL Apparently someone told Tipper.

Comment

Did I hear right. Is this thing all about saving some Turtle? How noble we are. Cultures and societies have become and are becoming far more about us and nature all living in perfect harmony.

I wouldn't doubt when we eventually prove ourselves, nature will decide to make hurricanes, tornadoes less destructive. We can coincide with nature if only we will listen to people like Al Gore.
        The guy hasn't paid his grazing fees in over 20 years, but that's ok, because he's a goddamn American.
        "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

Are there any circumstances under which we should make an effort to save a species from extinction?
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Are there any circumstances under which we should make an effort to save a species from extinction?
            That reminds me of my friend the sage grouse that seems to live everywhere if you believe the BLM and Forest Service.

Comment

Yes. When it doesn't physically or financially inconvenience us.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                That reminds me of my friend the sage grouse that seems to live everywhere if you believe the BLM and Forest Service.
                The sage grouse is a perfect example of everything that is wrong with the ESA. Listing a species as threatened requires no scientific evidence, just enough signatures on a petition. anyone who thinks the sage grouse is threatened is smoking crack. Still, now that it's listed, oil, gas, grazing, and mining activities are vastly more expensive, if possible at all, because of the red tape introduced by the grouse listing. This doesn't have anything to do with protecting species and everything to do with radicals using the ESA to control land that is often held privately.
                sigpic
                "Outlined against a blue, gray
                October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Certainly I would. I would listen to the arguments from either side. I would then make my decisiion based on things I could quantify. For example if it could be proven that having the Turtle go extinct would ruin the habitat and make create the makings of a situation like happened in Oklahoma in I think the 30's, I would say let's save them.

Because they are here on the earth and have lived for hundreds of thousands of years, that as the reason wouldn't cut anything with me. They have no feelings. They aren't going to be pissed they are going extinct. They don't have relatives who will wreak revenge on us eventually.

So bottom line if you can't justify their existence for the future benefit of man, then yea I don't worry about them.

Right now we are the top of the food chain. I especially don't understand those who don't believe in God,not understanding the food chain concept.

Comment

Certainly I would. I would listen to the arguments from either side. I would then make my decisiion based on things I could quantify. For example if it could be proven that having the Turtle go extinct would ruin the habitat and make create the makings of a situation like happened in Oklahoma in I think the 30's, I would say let's save them.

Because they are here on the earth and have lived for hundreds of thousands of years, that as the reason wouldn't cut anything with me. They have no feelings. They aren't going to be pissed they are going extinct. They don't have relatives who will wreak revenge on us eventually.

So bottom line if you can't justify their existence for the future benefit of man, then yea I don't worry about them.

Right now we are the top of the food chain. I especially don't understand those who don't believe in God,not understanding the food chain concept.
                    So if it can be proven that losing a species would cause a disaster similar to what wheat farming did to the Great Plains (the greatest environmental disaster in US history), then you would support it? Otherwise, screw the animals?

I guess I am not surprised.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                      The sage grouse is a perfect example of everything that is wrong with the ESA. Listing a species as threatened requires no scientific evidence, just enough signatures on a petition. anyone who thinks the sage grouse is threatened is smoking crack. Still, now that it's listed, oil, gas, grazing, and mining activities are vastly more expensive, if possible at all, because of the red tape introduced by the grouse listing. This doesn't have anything to do with protecting species and everything to do with radicals using the ESA to control land that is often held privately.

Here are the official rules:

https://www.fws.gov/endangered/esa-l...df/listing.pdf

Although we may initiate listing proposals, we also may start the listing process with a petition from any member of the public. However, petitions need the support of biological data.
                      Within one year of receipt of the petition, we must make a finding whether the listing is warranted.

Comment

So if it can be proven that losing a species would cause a disaster similar to what wheat farming did to the Great Plains (the greatest environmental disaster in US history), then you would support it? Otherwise, screw the animals?

I guess I am not surprised.
                        I am not into screwing animals. Perhaps that is something those who love animals above all else find satisfying, but I find it repulsive.

I also am not surprised at the take you have on it.

Comment

I am not into screwing animals. Perhaps that is something those who love animals above all else find that satisfying.

I also am not surprised at the take you have on it.
                          What is my take?

Comment

Dang, I would have liked to read it, but it doesn't pass our companies security web site test.

Comment

What is my take?
                              LOL, you know may take and shouldn't be surprised. However, I don't know your take?

I wish you really knew as much as you think you know. We could make a fortune if you would allow yourself to be materialistic for just a little while.

Anyway, if you didn't mean the "I shouldn't be surprised" and the "screw the animals" as negative reflections on my opinions, I apologize. MY comment on your "knowing" becomes very inappropriate.
                              Last edited by byu71; 04-14-2014, 11:19 AM.

Comment

LOL, you know may take and shouldn't be surprised. However, I don't know your take?
                                I specifically asked you and you responded. I was just curious how you knew my take when I don't recall posting it.

I wish you really knew as much as you think you know.
                                Says the guy who thinks he can read my mind. Ha.

Comment

Working...
                                X