Page 105 of 115 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,150 of 3426

Thread: Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the News

Do they still give out cuffies?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    The only time I was ever asked that question was when I was a priest and was asked to baptize a kid in my hood that was joining the church. Thankfully he didn't ask if I ever felt his daughter's boobs.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Do they still give out cuffies?
    If they did, I expect HB would beat out most of the competition, but Surfah would remain abreast of him as the final votes were tallied.

"Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    If they did, I expect HB would beat out most of the competition, but Surfah would remain abreast of him as the final votes were tallied.
    I’d probably get the shaft
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I’d probably get the shaft

Moliere showing some rare self-awareness here.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Lots of drama in LDS churches lately.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46370403&nid=148

A Layton man accused of punching a teenage boy in the face during church has been charged with felony child abuse.

Pio Pauulu, 40, was charged Thursday in 2nd District Court with child abuse, a third-degree felony, and child abuse, a class A misdemeanor.

On May 6, police say a 15-year-old boy was attending church at an LDS meetinghouse, 1625 S. 1125 West, when Pauulu called him over to where he was sitting.

He told the boy, "'Don't do that to my daughter again.' The boy told the defendant that he did not know what the defendant was talking about. The boy said the man then punched him in the jaw," according to charging documents.

The teen left the chapel and walked outside the church. Pauulu followed him "and grabbed him by the neck, strangling him," the charges state.

One witness told police that Pauulu was "holding the boy by the neck. He stated that he heard the defendant threaten to kill the boy," according to the charges.

Pauulu claimed he saw the boy make a sexual gesture toward his daughter.

"He said that he followed the boy out of the chapel, grabbed him by his tie and told the boy not to do that to his daughters. The defendant denied hitting the boy in the chapel or strangling him," the charges say.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

I know there's probably no place in civil society for this, but if the boy did do something wildly inappropriate, I'd probably be okay with dropping the charges.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

a day late/a dollar short Sullyute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    I know there's probably no place in civil society for this, but if the boy did do something wildly inappropriate, I'd probably be okay with dropping the charges.
    Even if he did, punching and chocking the kid seems a bit of an over reaction.
    "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Even if he did, punching and chocking the kid seems a bit of an over reaction.
    what kind of liberal sissy bullshit is this
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

What the father did was culturally appropriate. May not be my way (gun shot from a grassy knoll) but it got the job done.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

a day late/a dollar short Sullyute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    what kind of liberal sissy bullshit is this
    You are right, the kid should be grateful he didn’t get the Emmet Till treatment. #MAGA.
    "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Invisible Swordsman DrumNFeather's Avatar

"and grabbed him by the neck, strangling him,"
    I'm gonna say this would not qualify as ministering on the quarterly report.
    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

On my mission, we had a Hawaiian elder who was a body builder. A priest in our ward was struggling, so his mom dropped him off at our apartment on P-day so we could be a good influence. About five minutes in, he called his mom on his Nokia (I was openly judging his parents for giving their son a cell phone) and demanded that she come pick him up. During the call, he said, "Why are you such a bitch?" The good Hawaiian elder calmly stood up, walked toward the boy, and broke the kid's jaw. Parents didn't press charged, but threatened to. Elder got a stern talking to, and his stake president was called. His stake president happened to be this elder's father, and after chewing out the elder on speaker, asked to speak to the elder privately, at which point he said, "Sometimes you have to teach those white boys respect."
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    You are right, the kid should be grateful he didn’t get the Emmet Till treatment. #MAGA.
    way too far
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Lots of drama in LDS churches lately.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46370403&nid=148

Well boys, it looks like it’s time for a title change.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints issues new name guidelines, dropping term Mormon in most uses

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/....html?user=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 08-16-2018 at 02:33 PM.
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints issues new name guidelines, dropping term Mormon in most useshttps://www.deseretnews.com/article/900028401/the-church-of-jesus-christ-of-latter-day-saints-issues-new-name-guidelines-dropping-term-mormon-in-most-uses.html?user=app

Which version of the name change directive are we on? 3? Haven't they tried this before? The term 'Mormon' will never go away.

I can only guess how a convo between a Mormon (oops!) and a neighbor will go:

"I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints".

"Which church is that?"

"The Church of Jesus Christ".

"Oh you go to the Church of Christ down the road?"

"No, the restored Church of Jesus Christ".

"Hmm. I haven't seen that one in town. Is it new?"

"No...
    The Mormon church, alright? I'm a Mormon, I mean, a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints".

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints issues new name guidelines, dropping term Mormon in most useshttps://www.deseretnews.com/article/900028401/the-church-of-jesus-christ-of-latter-day-saints-issues-new-name-guidelines-dropping-term-mormon-in-most-uses.html?user=app

I will follow the style guide when they listen to LGBTQ people and stop using terms like same sex attraction.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

Nice. Time to update my fb profile pic:

Not Mormon.jpg
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

I've already started. I tell people I'm in the choir. When they ask which one, I say the one downtown. Never have to say M*****.
    “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Copelius View Post
    I've already started. I tell people I'm in the choir. When they ask which one, I say the one downtown. Never have to say M*****.
    i mean, the church of jesus christ of latter day saints tabernacle choir has a certain ring to it.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    I will follow the style guide when they listen to LGBTQ people and stop using terms like same sex attraction.
    No you won't.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints issues new name guidelines, dropping term Mormon in most uses

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/....html?user=app

This one made me laugh:

· The term "Mormonism" is inaccurate and should not be used. When describing the combination of doctrine, culture and lifestyle unique to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the term "the restored gospel of Jesus Christ" is accurate and preferred.
    Yes, please do our missionary work for us!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Mormon.org, facebook and youtube channels
    Mormon Channel
    @mormonorg

Gonna be a lot of rebranding going on.

somebody hurry and snag the domain latterdaysaintsandgays.org
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Mormon Channel
    @mormonorg

thechurchofjesuschristoflatter-daysaints.org

That's a mouthful.

Also owned by someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Mormon Channel
    @mormonorg

Not to mention the Internet channel that they make such announcements from.

I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Not to mention the Internet channel that they make such announcements from.

LOL.

We haven't even skimmed the surface yet. What about mormonscholarstestify? And the whole ex-Mormon internet crowd? Did President Nelson consider them before making this announcement?

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Women Stand
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.