Page 91 of 99 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,730 of 2941

Thread: Mormons in the News

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Seriously? I have come across more than a few of those types over the years and I would be shocked if they couldn't all describe a motion in limine.
    If you're going to be shocked you should use this emoji:

Seriously? I have come across more than a few of those types over the years and I would be shocked if they couldn't all describe a motion in limine.
    it might depend on flavor of non litigator but i suspect it’s true of your average biglaw m&a duder
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

I think that is incredibly true about the abstention stuff. The motion in limine is harder to explain, but again, there is no reason for non-litigators to know what it is. Now, they probably encountered it somewhere along the lines (like law school) but there is no reason for them to have remembered it for their careers.

There has been a second mistrial in the Bundy case. This time the mistrial was granted due to prosecutorial misconduct. The prosecutors withheld evidence favorable to the Bundys until after trial began. The court could decide to make this mistrial with prejudice, meaning the Bundys would get off without punishment (other than the 2 years they have been sitting in jail waiting for trial).

A judge declared a mistrial Wednesday morning in the Bunkerville standoff case involving rancher Cliven Bundy and other defendants, finding that the federal government improperly withheld evidence.

“A mistrial in this case is the most suitable and only remedy available,” U.S. District Judge Gloria Navarro said.

Bundy, his sons Ammon and Ryan, and co-defendant Ryan Payne, will face a new trial early next year on charges arising from the 2014 standoff with federal agents.

Navarro said video surveillance, maps and FBI interview information were willfully withheld by the prosecution in violation of due process required by the Constitution.

Considered collectively, she said, the evidence that was withheld was favorable to the defendants, and its untimely disclosure was prejudicial in that it “undermined the confidence of the outcome of the trial.”
    She said the government also failed to disclose an FBI threat assessment from 2012 that discussed the nonviolent nature of Cliven Bundy, which could have been used to undermine government claims that the Bundys posed a threat during the standoff and to bolster the defendants’ claims that the government acted unreasonably.

Since the start of trial in late October, the defense has received 3,300 pages of discovery that was produced past deadline.
    https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/b...held-evidence/
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    There has been a second mistrial in the Bundy case. This time the mistrial was granted due to prosecutorial misconduct. The prosecutors withheld evidence favorable to the Bundys until after trial began. The court could decide to make this mistrial with prejudice, meaning the Bundys would get off without punishment (other than the 2 years they have been sitting in jail waiting for trial).

Amazing how badly the government has botched these cases.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

is marcus mumford repping bundy on this? he’s an asshole but it seems like he’s done a great job on these.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    is marcus mumford repping bundy on this? he’s an asshole but it seems like he’s done a great job on these.
    Last I recall, he was prevented from pro hac'ing into this case. I remember it being a big deal, but I don't remember how it ended up. I think Ammon Bundy ended up going pro se, which further underscores the USAO's ineptitude here.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46222189&ni...-church-policy

They also were performed on Humphrey Bogart and Marilyn Monroe; the mother of Queen Elizabeth II; and grandparents of Kim Kardashian and Carrie Fisher, and U.S. politicians Joe Biden, John McCain and Mike Pence.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

How were baptisms for the dead performed on living people? I.e., Biden, McCain, Pence.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

How were baptisms for the dead performed on living people? I.e., Biden, McCain, Pence.
    Politically dead.
    I intend to live forever.
    So far, so good.
    --Steven Wright

Helen Radkey you are weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    Helen Radkey you are weird.
    No kidding. I found this in an old trib article:

She traveled to Rome several times to "warn" Vatican officials of the growing warmth between Utah's Mormon and Catholic leaders, reporting proxy baptisms of dead Catholics, including martyrs and saints.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

It cost half a million dollars to remove Holocaust names from the church’s database???

Pretty cool gesture by former Ute Sealver Siliga.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...applebee-tampa

Count me among those not surprised that a Ute is eating at Applebees, and in the bar area no less.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post

Count me among those not surprised that a Ute is eating at Applebees, and in the bar area no less.
    The bar area is probably the only place with any redeemable qualities there. I bet they have at least one drinkable beer.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post

I love hearing about things like this.
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

I bet that Helen Radkey chick is looking for ways to prove it wasn't really that good of tip.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I bet that Helen Radkey chick is looking for ways to prove it wasn't really that good of tip.
    I'm convinced she tries to get people to submit names that shouldn't be on temple work list, so she can play gotcha.

It escapes me why anyone outside of the LDS religion cares what names are used. They’re dead and they think we’re wrong. Who cares?
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

It escapes me why anyone outside of the LDS religion cares what names are used. They’re dead and they think we’re wrong. Who cares?
    Exactly. And to dedicate your life to keeping tabs on the names that are submitted?

I actually understand in the case of Jews. Jewish communities exist today because their ancestors fought against assimilation and forced conversion.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Exactly. And to dedicate your life to keeping tabs on the names that are submitted?
    I like this quote from Gandhi's grandson when he learned his grandfather had temple rites performed:

"My grandfather always believed in respecting all the religions," Gandhi said. "When anyone asked him in his lifetime which religion he believed in, he said, 'I'm a Hindu, I'm a Christian, I'm a Muslim, I'm a Buddhist, I'm everything, So in that spirit, I think he'd now say he's a Mormon, too."

http://fox13now.com/2012/02/29/gandh...by-lds-church/

Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

I had this conversation with a friend of mine who didn't like that. The offensive misconception is that we count them as Mormons once the work is done- I see how other religious sects might take exception to that. I explained that 1. Since we believe everybody must have these ordinances to be saved 2. Everybody must at least have a chance to accept them or not and 3. We don't believe these people are sleeping, but are awake and able to say yes or no to the teachings and ordinances- we aren't forcefully dunking them but rather presenting them the option. That explanation seemed to calm him down if not confuse him.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Purposeful just got suspended from Twitter. How very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    Purposeful just got suspended from Twitter. How very sad.
    The persecution of that poor lady...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    The persecution of that poor lady...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    No kidding. Twitter proved her white persecution complex was right all along.

PLesa excuse the tpyos.

For those of us who practice law but who could not survive a federal judiciary confirmation hearing, isn't this grounds for the prosecutors to be disbarred?
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Unreal. I don't disagree with the judge's decision, I just can't believe this got flubbed so ridiculously by the US Attorney's Office.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock