No announcement yet.

Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My son plans to have his debt paid off in 4-5 years. I am a little skeptical but impressed that they are going to try.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      My son plans to have his debt paid off in 4-5 years. I am a little skeptical but impressed that they are going to try.
      Ah, I remember those halcyon days, when my entire debt was going to be gone in 5 years. We were going to continue living frugally and putting off the luxury rewards until we were free of debt...

17 years after med school graduation, 2 kids later, deferring/forbearing student loans through residency/fellowship, look at me now. Still paying the minimum payment each month, and will be doing so for another 9 years!

If your son manages to do that, it will be a great achievement and he will deserve accolades. But if a wife defers employment and kids start entering the picture, you have to live. For us, it meant coming to the realization that an enjoyable family life was worth more than the accrued interest we have to pay.
      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
      - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
        Ah, I remember those halcyon days, when my entire debt was going to be gone in 5 years. We were going to continue living frugally and putting off the luxury rewards until we were free of debt...

17 years after med school graduation, 2 kids later, deferring/forbearing student loans through residency/fellowship, look at me now. Still paying the minimum payment each month, and will be doing so for another 9 years!

If your son manages to do that, it will be a great achievement and he will deserve accolades. But if a wife defers employment and kids start entering the picture, you have to live. For us, it meant coming to the realization that an enjoyable family life was worth more than the accrued interest we have to pay.
        Their debt isn’t too bad (god bless Texas) and IHC is going to pay off a good chunk of it as part of his employment package. It is doable.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Their debt isn’t too bad (god bless Texas) and IHC is going to pay off a good chunk of it as part of his employment package. It is doable.
          IHC as in intermountain health care? Or government Indian health? Either way, good for him.

I should say, it is doable for many people. It just becomes difficult for a family to keep deferring a better lifestyle after 10ish years.
          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

Comment

Good for him. We were lucky to have minimal debt after grad school. After residency and with deferment the principal had increased by 30%. We had bought a house at the beginning of residency and when we finished it was 2003, as real estate prices were climbing. When we sold our home and moved we were able to pay off all the debt before starting fellowship.
            "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
              Good for him. We were lucky to have minimal debt after grad school. After residency and with deferment the principal had increased by 30%. We had bought a house at the beginning of residency and when we finished it was 2003, as real estate prices were climbing. When we sold our home and moved we were able to pay off all the debt before starting fellowship.
              Well now you and JL's son are making me feel lame
              - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
                Wow. Nicely done.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                  I know UNLV has many dental students who go on to orthodontics, either at UNLV or elsewhere. But from what i've heard, it is fairly competitive; you can't just graduate and then enroll in a orthodontics program. Only the top portion of the class has a shot at that. I wonder if going to a more prestigious dental school allows you to graduate low in the class and still have graduate options.

Either way, it doesn't mean this guy shouldn't sleep in the bed he made. He didn't want the risk of having to do well at a cheaper school, so he chose to pay more money for more security. Then he compounded the problem (literally) when he chose to continue into an expensive graduate program.
                  If one is going to be that much in debt, I think you should risk going to the less expensive school even if it means you can't go to orthodontist school/residency and end up "merely" being dentist. My sister's husband finished dental school with some debt, not a ton, and he's been doing a ton of dental implants and it seems to me that he's doing better than the average orthodontist.
                  Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                    This is the biggest question I have as well. That seems ridiculously low for that kind of debt. I figured these guys were making 350-500k to be willing to take on that kind of debt.
                    One of my favorite stories of orthodontia was sitting in the waiting room while HFN Jr was getting something done. The ortho came out to talk to one of the other parents in the waiting room, she asked about his recent trip to Greece. His reply was “it was great, but if you are going to Greece you really need to spend more than three weeks, but with us being gone all next month for the safari we could justify being gone longer”. I was sitting there thinking who tf does this guy think he is a welder?
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                      One of my favorite stories of orthodontia was sitting in the waiting room while HFN Jr was getting something done. The ortho came out to talk to one of the other parents in the waiting room, she asked about his recent trip to Greece. His reply was “it was great, but if you are going to Greece you really need to spend more than three weeks, but with us being gone all next month for the safari we could justify being gone longer”. I was sitting there thinking who tf does this guy think he is a welder?
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

• This kid’s Venezuelan prison honeymoon has finally come to an end.

https://www.apnews.com/5a41a04511664d9689813f2450fa3b46

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                          This kid’s Venezuelan prison honeymoon has finally come to an end.

https://www.apnews.com/5a41a04511664d9689813f2450fa3b46

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Was he an agent? Lot's if LDS agents with second languages. Why the White House invite if he wasn't?

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                          -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                            Was he an agent? Lot's if LDS agents with second languages. Why the White House invite if he wasn't?
                            :crazy:

Comment

• Thanks Obama!

What the hell, Drumpf? Let the boy go home first!

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                              Yeah, must be an agent.
                              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

My son plans to have his debt paid off in 4-5 years. I am a little skeptical but impressed that they are going to try.
                                It’s doable. No reason to hang onto that student debt because the interest doesn’t help you with taxes the way mortgage interest helps. I paid off all my debt in about 3 years — obviously med school and cost of living overall was much cheaper then.

Comment

Working...
                                X