Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
    Not all boobs signal my sexual receptor. I have evolved to ignore certain sexual signals. I'm sure I could present some evidence here that would prove this true for any caveman.
    Individual response isn't really the issue. You can't just argue that men must turn off their sexual receptors which have been selected for over millennia. That does not mean individuals cannot learn to control their response, but the initial receptor and thoughts won't be eliminated (and probably shouldn't be). And you have to train ever single one to do just that (which is done through social norms and other methods). Arguing that a naked breast should not elicit a sexual response is over-simplifying to the point of being useless. A nursing mother is in fact a marker for future reproductive fitness. Luckily were not lions.

Comment

• Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
      Actually, I would argue that the conversation has to start with why folks in the US have such hang-ups on breastfeeding, when it doesn't even register with folks from other countries. Why do we fear that men and young men will be reduced to slavering, drooling, mindless piles of lust at the sight of a nursing mother? Because that's not a normal response.
      That's the same conversation. It just requires to think about it from an evolutionary perspective and terms. Watch the video. There is individual variation because the receptors strength exists over a distribution. Men and women have co-evolved together. The male/female mode of reproduction is nearly universal, even in plants. Human females developed enlarged non-lactating breasts for a reason. Nature selected them. The obviously over-stated male response for rhetoric purposes above allows the conclusion which follows. Of course it isn't the normal response, because that could only possibly happen on one small tail of the male response distribution. The normal response is sexual curiosity. So how do you counter the normal response if it is undesirable? Social norms is one way, cultures have adopted various culture norms to adapt. Covering up is one, repeated exposure is another. Then we discuss the advantages and disadvantages of the various methods. But pretending the response itself is wrong and must be eliminated is pointless.

Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
      It's just a friggin' breast. Maybe the solution is to encourage coverless feeding in churches so that it becomes background noise and change the focus from "keep your thought pure at all times or sing a hymn" to "You will have impure thoughts. You will see sexual things. Acknowledge it, and then move on."
      Exactly, except, "It's just a friggin' breast". which isn't a good place to start, you can't turn off evolved characteristics and is harmful to try and do so. It turns people towards depression when they can't overcome natural instincts.

Comment

Actually, I would argue that the conversation has to start with why folks in the US have such hang-ups on breastfeeding, when it doesn't even register with folks from other countries. Why do we fear that men and young men will be reduced to slavering, drooling, mindless piles of lust at the sight of a nursing mother? Because that's not a normal response.

I am reminded of the parable of the two monks who were walking and encountered an attractive young woman by the side of a river. She asked them to carry her across. Since they were forbidden to touch females, one monk declined. The other picked her up, carried her across, and put her down. The monks continued walking. After several miles, the monk who declined turned to his brother and said, "You know we are not permitted to touch women, yet you carried that woman. How could you do that?" The reply: "I set her down by the riverbank. Why are you still carrying her?"

It's just a friggin' breast. Maybe the solution is to encourage coverless feeding in churches so that it becomes background noise and change the focus from "keep your thought pure at all times or sing a hymn" to "You will have impure thoughts. You will see sexual things. Acknowledge it, and then move on."
        Are you also be in favor of permitting women to be topless at will in any location, nursing or not?
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
          Are you also be in favor of permitting women to be topless at will in any location, nursing or not?
          The attractive ones, sure.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
            A conversation cannot start with "just a breast", or "just boobs", etc. As pointed out in the video previously linked, of the 4000+ mammals on the planet, humans are the only one where breasts stay enlarged when not lactating. The evolutionary reason for that appears to be because they are naturally a physiological unconscious sexual signal of reproductive health. Which developed for a reason. Evolution doesn't care about manners, etiquette, morality, etc. Only what works to preserve the species. So if breasts are a sexual signal, they must be signalling a receptor in the male counterpart--that is also unconscious. The conversation has to start here. Men and women sexually signal one another all of the time, sometimes consciously, sometimes not. It's not productive to ignore that breasts are evolutionary selected sexual signals. The ramifications of this are discussed in detail in the previous videos linked.
            Pshaw... You and your facts and logic.
            Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 07-27-2018, 03:11 PM.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
              The attractive ones, sure.
              The attractive boobs?
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

That's not what most people mean by breastfeeding with a cover. They mean they put a blanket, or a shawl, or an apron-like item that literally covers both the baby and the breast. And some babies will absolutely refuse to feed if they are covered like that.

An example:

[ATTACH]8949[/ATTACH]
                  That can work as well.

Originally posted by LVAllen View Post

I am reminded of the parable of the two monks who were walking and encountered an attractive young woman by the side of a river. She asked them to carry her across. Since they were forbidden to touch females, one monk declined. The other picked her up, carried her across, and put her down. The monks continued walking. After several miles, the monk who declined turned to his brother and said, "You know we are not permitted to touch women, yet you carried that woman. How could you do that?" The reply: "I set her down by the riverbank. Why are you still carrying her?"

Yes, of course, the only reason one might be opposed to full frontal nudity breastfeeding is because of some puriant interest. And of course, because people in other countries do something that their culture allows we need to adopt that practice. This is seemless logic.

I stated my preference, with which I suspect most people agree. Why are you still carrying her?

And no one should ever say, "It's just a friggin' breast." Good hell.
                  Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Menstruation is also a sign of fertility, yet I dont know of anyone who finds a prurient interest in such matters. Many religions and cultures put the woman away in shame, and she has to purify herself before she can come back into general society. Why would thousands of years of breasts-as-fertility symbol be a thing but not thousands of years of menstruation-as-fertility symbol be not a thing

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                      Menstruation is also a sign of fertility, yet I dont know of anyone who finds a prurient interest in such matters. Many religions and cultures put the woman away in shame, and she has to purify herself before she can come back into general society. Why would thousands of years of breasts-as-fertility symbol be a thing but not thousands of years of menstruation-as-fertility symbol be not a thing
                      That’s funny. More seamless logic!
                      Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 07-28-2018, 03:57 PM.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                        It would die down. There would be some displays but then women would go to what is comfortable.
                        "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Boom. The authoritative word on exposed breasts in church.

From a bishop, no less!
                          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                            Boom. The authoritative word on exposed breasts in church.

From a bishop, no less!
                            Even more seamless logic!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              That’s funny. More seamless logic!
                              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              Even more seamless logic!
                              I guess that means I can stop waiting for Napper to say something about busting at the seams.

Comment

• Let me get this straight. Do some of the posters on this fine website believe it’s any man’s right or job to tell any woman to cover up while breastfeeding?

Just a simple yes or no will do. Just trying to understand WTF the dude and others are arguing for.

Comment

Working...
                                X