X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good grief that is horrific.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
      It doesn't give a time frame but I wonder how he ends up with 5 or 6 year old girls alone and so many times he lost track?
      I doubt he lost track. Seems more like he's dissembling.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Excuse me if this has already been posted and I missed it--I really didn't know where to post this exactly, but she is Mormon, and it is in the news. http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendl...=socialnetwork

Given that it was a private post and she didn't discuss these matters with students, I think it was wrong for her to be fired. I get that it is within their rights, but unless I'm missing something, it seems harsh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Soccermom View Post
          Excuse me if this has already been posted and I missed it--I really didn't know where to post this exactly, but she is Mormon, and it is in the news. http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendl...=socialnetwork

Given that it was a private post and she didn't discuss these matters with students, I think it was wrong for her to be fired. I get that it is within their rights, but unless I'm missing something, it seems harsh.
          So this was her official private announcement:

“This is my official announcement and declaration that I believe heterosexuality and homosexuality are both natural and neither is sinful. I will never support the phrase ‘love the sinner, hate the sin’ because that “sin” is part of who that person is,” she wrote.
          I dunno, I think she either knew or should have known this would be a problem for her boss. Consider:

I will always and forever stand up for the equality of the LGBT community. Sexuality and gender are not binary, they are on a spectrum and that’s how we were made. Stand up for humanity, love people because of who they are… not despite who they are.
          Is this a private stand for equality?

*Obligatory predictable joke about future podcasting*

Comment

• Originally posted by Soccermom View Post
            Excuse me if this has already been posted and I missed it--I really didn't know where to post this exactly, but she is Mormon, and it is in the news. http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendl...=socialnetwork

I saw that earlier today and my first impression was that BYU Idaho had done something dumb, but then I read the post that she made. You can't call out the church so directly and so aggressively like that and expect to remain employed at BYU anywhere. Furthermore she is not regular faculty but an adjunct prof., i.e., an instructor on a temporary contract. Those folks are given a very short leash.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Not that this completely relevant, but why is BYU-I hiring folks with Bachelors degrees as adjunct professors?
              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                Not that this completely relevant, but why is BYU-I hiring folks with Bachelors degrees as adjunct professors?
                Because they are **adjunct** professors. Like I said, these are not regular faculty. These are just temp hires to fill holes in the teaching schedule. Similar to paying a graduate student to teach a class one semester.

One of the problems with modern academia is an ever-increasing reliance on adjunct faculty. When a tenured faculty retires, they will sometime not hire a replacement but shuffle the teaching assignments and hire an adjunct or two to fill a gap. The retired person was probably making $100-200K plus benefits but the adjuncts are paid peanuts ($1500-2500 per course is not uncommon) and they are part-time so you don't have to pay benefits. Then they take the cost savings and hire more admins.

BYU has largely ignored this trend and they rely very little on adjunct faculty, thereby resulting in a much better undergraduate experience for the students.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• I understand the difference. I just assume that even adjunct professors at a 4-year university be held to higher standards. Community colleges in TX usually require a masters, even for adjunct.
                  Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

I understand the difference. I just assume that even adjunct professors at a 4-year university be held to higher standards. Community colleges in TX usually require a masters, even for adjunct.
                    Yeah, even our local public school (i.e., elementary, middle, and high school) requires teachers with masters degrees... Of course, we are talking about BYU-I here.
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I understand the difference. I just assume that even adjunct professors at a 4-year university be held to higher standards. Community colleges in TX usually require a masters, even for adjunct.
                      Depends how desperate they are. If you only have BS/BA degree holders to choose from, that is what you get.

Comment

• When I was thinking about her status as adjunct, I was wondering if this is her sole source of employment, or is it just a part-time gig?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          I saw that earlier today and my first impression was that BYU Idaho had done something dumb, but then I read the post that she made. You can't call out the church so directly and so aggressively like that and expect to remain employed at BYU anywhere. Furthermore she is not regular faculty but an adjunct prof., i.e., an instructor on a temporary contract. Those folks are given a very short leash.
                          When she announced she was going on Dehlin's podcast today she lost most of her credibility.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                            When she announced she was going on Dehlin's podcast today she lost most of her credibility.
                            Haha. There you go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                              When I was thinking about her status as adjunct, I was wondering if this is her sole source of employment, or is it just a part-time gig?
                              pretty tough to live on $300/semester
                              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Gee, I wonder if this was planned.
                                Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Working...
                                X