Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
    Seriously? I have come across more than a few of those types over the years and I would be shocked if they couldn't all describe a motion in limine.
    If you're going to be shocked you should use this emoji:

Comment

Seriously? I have come across more than a few of those types over the years and I would be shocked if they couldn't all describe a motion in limine.
      it might depend on flavor of non litigator but i suspect it’s true of your average biglaw m&a duder
      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

I think that is incredibly true about the abstention stuff. The motion in limine is harder to explain, but again, there is no reason for non-litigators to know what it is. Now, they probably encountered it somewhere along the lines (like law school) but there is no reason for them to have remembered it for their careers.

Comment

• There has been a second mistrial in the Bundy case. This time the mistrial was granted due to prosecutorial misconduct. The prosecutors withheld evidence favorable to the Bundys until after trial began. The court could decide to make this mistrial with prejudice, meaning the Bundys would get off without punishment (other than the 2 years they have been sitting in jail waiting for trial).

A judge declared a mistrial Wednesday morning in the Bunkerville standoff case involving rancher Cliven Bundy and other defendants, finding that the federal government improperly withheld evidence.

“A mistrial in this case is the most suitable and only remedy available,” U.S. District Judge Gloria Navarro said.

Bundy, his sons Ammon and Ryan, and co-defendant Ryan Payne, will face a new trial early next year on charges arising from the 2014 standoff with federal agents.

Navarro said video surveillance, maps and FBI interview information were willfully withheld by the prosecution in violation of due process required by the Constitution.

Considered collectively, she said, the evidence that was withheld was favorable to the defendants, and its untimely disclosure was prejudicial in that it “undermined the confidence of the outcome of the trial.”
          She said the government also failed to disclose an FBI threat assessment from 2012 that discussed the nonviolent nature of Cliven Bundy, which could have been used to undermine government claims that the Bundys posed a threat during the standoff and to bolster the defendants’ claims that the government acted unreasonably.

Since the start of trial in late October, the defense has received 3,300 pages of discovery that was produced past deadline.
          https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/b...held-evidence/
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
            There has been a second mistrial in the Bundy case. This time the mistrial was granted due to prosecutorial misconduct. The prosecutors withheld evidence favorable to the Bundys until after trial began. The court could decide to make this mistrial with prejudice, meaning the Bundys would get off without punishment (other than the 2 years they have been sitting in jail waiting for trial).

Amazing how badly the government has botched these cases.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

There has been a second mistrial in the Bundy case. This time the mistrial was granted due to prosecutorial misconduct. The prosecutors withheld evidence favorable to the Bundys until after trial began. The court could decide to make this mistrial with prejudice, meaning the Bundys would get off without punishment (other than the 2 years they have been sitting in jail waiting for trial).

is marcus mumford repping bundy on this? he’s an asshole but it seems like he’s done a great job on these.
              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                is marcus mumford repping bundy on this? he’s an asshole but it seems like he’s done a great job on these.
                Last I recall, he was prevented from pro hac'ing into this case. I remember it being a big deal, but I don't remember how it ended up. I think Ammon Bundy ended up going pro se, which further underscores the USAO's ineptitude here.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46222189&ni...-church-policy

They also were performed on Humphrey Bogart and Marilyn Monroe; the mother of Queen Elizabeth II; and grandparents of Kim Kardashian and Carrie Fisher, and U.S. politicians Joe Biden, John McCain and Mike Pence.
                  As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                  --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• How were baptisms for the dead performed on living people? I.e., Biden, McCain, Pence.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

How were baptisms for the dead performed on living people? I.e., Biden, McCain, Pence.
                      Politically dead.
                      I intend to live forever.
                      So far, so good.
                      --Steven Wright

Comment

• Helen Radkey you are weird.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                          Helen Radkey you are weird.
                          No kidding. I found this in an old trib article:

She traveled to Rome several times to "warn" Vatican officials of the growing warmth between Utah's Mormon and Catholic leaders, reporting proxy baptisms of dead Catholics, including martyrs and saints.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• It cost half a million dollars to remove Holocaust names from the church’s database???
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Pretty cool gesture by former Ute Sealver Siliga.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...applebee-tampa

Count me among those not surprised that a Ute is eating at Applebees, and in the bar area no less.
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                                Pretty cool gesture by former Ute Sealver Siliga.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...applebee-tampa

Count me among those not surprised that a Ute is eating at Applebees, and in the bar area no less.
                                The bar area is probably the only place with any redeemable qualities there. I bet they have at least one drinkable beer.
                                As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Working...
                                X