Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
    Sounds like the reviewer has a bone to pick with the church...but I can't say I don't agree with the review for the most part. Most people know mormons are good people and do good works. They don't need a movie to tell them that.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by imanihonjin View Post
      DDD could still go to the Legacy theater and see the 3 movies they show there.
      Does the Larry Miller theaters show R rated movies? I thought they didn't, but maybe it's only R rated movies with gay characters that they don't screen.
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Sucks that the church is raising money for the Red Cross with the proceeds from this. We should avoid this movie at all costs and be as critical as possible of the movie at every turn.
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          Sounds like the reviewer has a bone to pick with the church...but I can't say I don't agree with the review for the most part. Most people know mormons are good people and do good works. They don't need a movie to tell them that.
          Considering it came from an alternative paper, I think it was quite tame. This feature-film business just doesn't pass the smell test to me. I can't decide if my reservations stem from the fact that it looks too desparate or if I'm concerned that the content will be so sanitized that it will border on being dishonest. That said, I'll probably see it, if for no other reason than to come to CS and increase JL's double-down count.
          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
            Considering it came from an alternative paper, I think it was quite tame. This feature-film business just doesn't pass the smell test to me. I can't decide if my reservations stem from the fact that it looks too desparate or if I'm concerned that the content will be so sanitized that it will border on being dishonest. That said, I'll probably see it, if for no other reason than to come to CS and increase JL's double-down count.
            What is the double-down count in reference too?

Comment

• Originally posted by imanihonjin View Post
              What is the double-down count in reference too?
              I'm apparently a serial "double-downer," which means I make proposition A, which is rebutted by proposition B. At that point, my psychotic need to be correct kicks in, and in spite of the thorough and complete nature of proposition B, I stick to my guns and have the audacity to further discuss the matter in an online discussion forum. My latest double-down caused the Dude to start a ticker everytime I bring up that issue. It currently stands at 35, but I hope to be at triple digits by year end. #fingerscrossed

Comment

I'm apparently a serial "double-downer," which means I make proposition A, which is rebutted by proposition B. At that point, my psychotic need to be correct kicks in, and in spite of the thorough and complete nature of proposition B, I stick to my guns and have the audacity to further discuss the matter in an online discussion forum. My latest double-down caused the Dude to start a ticker everytime I bring up that issue. It currently stands at 35, but I hope to be at triple digits by year end. #fingerscrossed
                39.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]4956[/ATTACH]
                  I would like to audio record myself eating that heart-attack on a plate and re-listen OFTEN!!!

Comment

• My biggest issue with this movie is that I hate the two-faced nature of these things. Mormons are great people and do amazing things, but I hate seeing flicks like this that tout working moms and then I go to church on Sunday and the very things that are touted in the film are condemned by church leaders. The film isn't genuine and everyone knows it, which is why I really don't want to see it.

I had a theory that the I Am a Mormon campaign was more targeted toward church members than non members, but I'm thinking that isn't the case anymore and that church leadership really can be oblivious to the two faced nature of this stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                      Sucks that the church is raising money for the Red Cross with the net proceeds from this. We should avoid this movie at all costs and be as critical as possible of the movie at every turn.
                      FIFY.

The church needs members to fill up the theaters to recover the production costs first.
                      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                        My biggest issue with this movie is that I hate the two-faced nature of these things. Mormons are great people and do amazing things, but I hate seeing flicks like this that tout working moms and then I go to church on Sunday and the very things that are touted in the film are condemned by church leaders. The film isn't genuine and everyone knows it, which is why I really don't want to see it.

I had a theory that the I Am a Mormon campaign was more targeted toward church members than non members, but I'm thinking that isn't the case anymore and that church leadership really can be oblivious to the two faced nature of this stuff.
                        one more example of certain CSers attending a very different kind of mormon church than I attend each Sunday. I imagine if I attended your ward I might be just as jaded as you are. Sorry your ward sucks.
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

Comment

I would like to audio record myself eating that heart-attack on a plate and re-listen OFTEN!!!
                          That is a great example of double-downing with a double down.
                          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                            FIFY.

The church needs members to fill up the theaters to recover the production costs first.
                            fair enough, but the point stands.
                            I'm like LeBron James.
                            -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                              one more example of certain CSers attending a very different kind of mormon church than I attend each Sunday. I imagine if I attended your ward I might be just as jaded as you are. Sorry your ward sucks.
                              I blame his ward's leadership.

Comment

• The progmo crowd should have organized a campaign to bypass the movie and donate to the Red Cross directly.
                                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                                - SeattleUte

Comment

Working...
                                X