Page 116 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118 LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,480 of 3527

Thread: Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the News

  1. #3451
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    21,302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    I hadn't really given much thought to all the post-death financial details, but I was hoping Brad had a fat life insurance policy in place. If his dad is going to have to go back to work to support the family, that's probably not the case. Here's a little piece KSL did on Brad this past weekend:

    https://ksltv.com/407886/brad-staple...AhC4a1JjEM-KHQ
    I’m surprised how few middle class people have solid life insurance policies. I don’t really worry about dying, but I do worry about leaving my wife without an income. MJ would be worth quite a bit if I died today, but don’t tell her that.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  2. #3452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    I hadn't really given much thought to all the post-death financial details, but I was hoping Brad had a fat life insurance policy in place. If his dad is going to have to go back to work to support the family, that's probably not the case. Here's a little piece KSL did on Brad this past weekend:

    https://ksltv.com/407886/brad-staple...AhC4a1JjEM-KHQ
    oh my. really sounds like he was salt of the earth.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  3. #3453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I’m surprised how few middle class people have solid life insurance policies. I don’t really worry about dying, but I do worry about leaving my wife without an income. MJ would be worth quite a bit if I died today, but don’t tell her that.
    i don't generally talk about life insurance during sex, so you're golden.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  4. #3454
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    10,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    i don't generally talk about life insurance during sex, so you're golden.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  5. #3455
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    29,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    i don't generally talk about life insurance during sex, so you're golden.
    And I just watch from the corner, so no issues from me.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  6. #3456
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    15,658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    i don't generally talk about life insurance during sex, so you're golden.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  7. #3457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I’m surprised how few middle class people have solid life insurance policies. I don’t really worry about dying, but I do worry about leaving my wife without an income. MJ would be worth quite a bit if I died today, but don’t tell her that.
    If I tell her that, what are the chances that your reach your untimely demise?
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  8. #3458
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    21,302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    i don't generally talk about life insurance during sex, so you're golden.
    Tbh, you aren’t her type. She doesn’t go for severely overweight people.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  9. #3459
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    29,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Tbh, you aren’t her type. She doesn’t go for severely overweight people.
    Molieddie taking the gloves off.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  10. #3460
    a day late/a dollar short Sullyute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,929

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Tbh, you aren’t her type. She doesn’t go for severely overweight people.
    The season of CUF members eating their own has started early this year.
    "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

  11. #3461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    i don't generally talk about life insurance during sex, so you're golden.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Tbh, you aren’t her type. She doesn’t go for severely overweight people.
    to all parties
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  12. #3462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Tbh, you aren’t her type. She doesn’t go for severely overweight people.
    Okay, so I've never been known to turn down a double cheeseburger. But still, that was below the belt.

    at least i think it was- can't exactly see my belt under there.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  13. #3463
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    15,658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    Okay, so I've never been known to turn down a double cheeseburger. But still, that was below the belt.

    at least i think it was- can't exactly see my belt under there.

    I really thought you were going to go for the TKO with that setup. Good for you for showing restraint!
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  14. #3464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    to all parties
    Agree. Funny stuff, fellas.

  15. #3465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    I hadn't really given much thought to all the post-death financial details, but I was hoping Brad had a fat life insurance policy in place. If his dad is going to have to go back to work to support the family, that's probably not the case. Here's a little piece KSL did on Brad this past weekend:

    https://ksltv.com/407886/brad-staple...AhC4a1JjEM-KHQ
    Based on his obit:

    Brad and Jana moved back to St. George in the end of 2004 and he joined his dad as a pharmacist at the then Bateman Pharmacy. A few months later, the pharmacy was renamed to Stapley Pharmacy. By 2014, Brad and Evan had expanded their family of pharmacies by adding Stapley Pharmacy at Dino Crossing and the additional C3 closed door pharmacy. In June of 2015, Brad and Jana purchased the business from his mother and father, Evan and Faith Stapley, where he has since served as Pharmacist, CEO and President. He had a vision to draw people in with his personal care and genuine concern for the patients and customers who would patron the stores. By the end of 2015, he expanded one more additional location in the Carter’s Market Enterprise, Utah.
    Seems his dad might be going back to work as he is the only person who can keep the business afloat for now. Being that he is a pharmacist. I assume with them owning 4 pharmacies, they are doing alright financially.
    *Banned*

  16. #3466

    Default

    Bump. This Mo in the news for all the wrong reasons. Sadly, KSL buries the lead a bit by leaving out the fact that the guy was an LDS bishop (!) at the time he was arrested.

    https://www.ksl.com/article/46495111...titution-sting

    The other news channels don't miss their chance to pounce, however:

    https://kutv.com/news/local/man-arre...-as-lds-bishop

    I want to believe that the church just couldn't have known this guy should not be a priesthood key holder, as is the case many times when church leaders go rogue. But I think you can make a pretty good argument that wasn't the case here:
    2News learned that back in 2012, Moss was asked to resign from the St. George City Police Department. He was in the position of lieutenant with supervisory power over various units, including members of the gang and vice squads. He had been employed with the department for 15 years prior to allegations that he had engaged in consensual relationships with at least one or two women, at least one of whom was his subordinate. The disciplinary action in asking him to resign was based on the fact that he was on duty or had an active duty component when engaging in those relationships.
    I'm a proponent of a 1-strike-and-you're-out-of-all-future-church-leadership-callings policy. Perhaps that exists and I'm just not aware of it. So for now, I"ll go ahead and assume that he was somehow able to keep the gory details from his SGPD departure under wraps. That said, as someone who grew up there and knows just how small a town St. George is, I find it difficult to believe that his church leaders didn't find out about that stuff back then.
    Last edited by Donuthole; 02-21-2019 at 10:31 AM.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  17. #3467
    Huge Member BigPiney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    5,779

    Default

    That is a crazy case. I can't imagine being in that ward. Going to be a fun sunday this week.

    I am guessing that nobody knew about the St George stuff, even his family. Hard to believe his wife would not know, but it could happen. Unfortunately no way the church to know unless he brought it up.

  18. #3468
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    48,630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Bump. This Mo in the news for all the wrong reasons. Sadly, KSL buries the lead a bit by leaving out the fact that the guy was an LDS bishop (!) at the time he was arrested.

    https://www.ksl.com/article/46495111...titution-sting

    The other news channels don't miss their chance to pounce, however:

    https://kutv.com/news/local/man-arre...-as-lds-bishop

    I want to believe that the church just couldn't have known this guy should not be a priesthood key holder, as is the case many times when church leaders go rogue. But I think you can make a pretty good argument that wasn't the case here:


    I'm a proponent of a 1-strike-and-you're-out-of-all-future-church-leadership-callings policy. Perhaps that exists and I'm just not aware of it. So for now, I"ll go ahead and assume that he was somehow able to keep the gory details from his SGPD departure under wraps. That said, as someone who grew up there and knows just how small a town St. George is, I find it difficult to believe that his church leaders didn't find out about that stuff back then.
    Such a crazy story. Yeah, there is no way they knew about the St. George stuff. What an awful human being.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  19. #3469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Such a crazy story. Yeah, there is no way they knew about the St. George stuff. What an awful human being.
    Why do you say there is no way they knew about the St. George stuff? I'm not saying they knew, but they could have known and still called him. Did we learn nothing from the Joseph Bishop thing?

    Whether or not they knew, this is why the policies with the church didn't change enough with regard to worthiness interviews with children. You can never really know what type of past people are hiding.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  20. #3470
    Known Heterosexual RC Vikings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rexburg, Idaho
    Posts
    8,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Such a crazy story. Yeah, there is no way they knew about the St. George stuff. What an awful human being.
    Not only that but it looks like he is currently unemployed and has bounced around jobs quite a bit since St George, not typical for most bishops. This guy must have been really good at hiding stuff.

  21. #3471
    Senior Member originalsocal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Fullerton, CA
    Posts
    866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    Why do you say there is no way they knew about the St. George stuff? I'm not saying they knew, but they could have known and still called him. Did we learn nothing from the Joseph Bishop thing?

    Whether or not they knew, this is why the policies with the church didn't change enough with regard to worthiness interviews with children. You can never really know what type of past people are hiding.
    Marty -- we get it! You hate the Church. But I'm having a hard time following this logic. You're not saying that the Church knew, but they still called him. And then that you never really know people's past, and that we should have learned from Joseph Bishop? Joseph Bishop is a guy who used his authority to abuse women. This other guy is compartmentalizing his religion from his seedy underbelly. Are those the same? Are you saying that he used his Bishop powers to take advantage of prostitutes? And what in the name of Sam Hill does this have to do with Church policy on worthiness interviews with children? What exactly is the lesson? Don't have a Pimp-Bishop interview children, even though you don't know he's a pimp when you called him, and also Joseph Bishop. Oh! And church policy about interviewing children for worthiness created a situation in which a Bishop would become a pimp.


  22. #3472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Bump. This Mo in the news for all the wrong reasons. Sadly, KSL buries the lead a bit by leaving out the fact that the guy was an LDS bishop (!) at the time he was arrested.

    https://www.ksl.com/article/46495111...titution-sting

    The other news channels don't miss their chance to pounce, however:

    https://kutv.com/news/local/man-arre...-as-lds-bishop

    I want to believe that the church just couldn't have known this guy should not be a priesthood key holder, as is the case many times when church leaders go rogue. But I think you can make a pretty good argument that wasn't the case here:


    I'm a proponent of a 1-strike-and-you're-out-of-all-future-church-leadership-callings policy. Perhaps that exists and I'm just not aware of it. So for now, I"ll go ahead and assume that he was somehow able to keep the gory details from his SGPD departure under wraps. That said, as someone who grew up there and knows just how small a town St. George is, I find it difficult to believe that his church leaders didn't find out about that stuff back then.
    "Moss then stated he was looking for girls to let him be their manager. He stated he has done this sort of thing in the past and he has a system that is 'cutting edge' and avoids people getting caught," according to the report
    Guess his cutting edge system didn't including asking the women if they were undercover cops (b/c legally they'd have to answer truthfully).
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

  23. #3473
    lollygagger hostile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    5,564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Student View Post
    Guess his cutting edge system didn't including asking the women if they were undercover cops (b/c legally they'd have to answer truthfully).
    You would think a former cop would know that
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

    "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

  24. #3474

    Default

    Cosmo takes the mask off, and comes out of the closet:

    https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-lgbt-gay.html

    Kudos to Des News for giving his this forum. The comments are interesting. At least one former Cosmo mascot replied, who is also gay. But of course, there's also a sprinkling of pretty ignorant comments.

  25. #3475
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    48,630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Cosmo takes the mask off, and comes out of the closet:

    https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-lgbt-gay.html

    Kudos to Des News for giving his this forum. The comments are interesting. At least one former Cosmo mascot replied, who is also gay. But of course, there's also a sprinkling of pretty ignorant comments.
    Ute fans have been telling us for ages that Cosmo is gay. I guess they were right.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  26. #3476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Ute fans have been telling us for ages that Cosmo is gay. I guess they were right.
    1. great at dancing
    2. all the Cougarettes are totally comfortable around him

    Pretty obvious.

  27. #3477

    Default

    BYU police department decertified.

    https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...decertify-byu/
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  28. #3478

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    I thought it was a letter of intent to decertify.

  29. #3479

    Default

    I will always cheer for BYU athletics, but I absolutely despise the university.
    "In heaven, all the interesting people are missing." - Friedrich Nietzsche

  30. #3480

    Default

    I've always thought it was weird a private entity could have its own police force.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •