Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
    Yep. I haven't watched any of the news channels outside of election night in over a decade. Fox News ruined them all.

I miss the CNN of the eighties and early nineties.
    I'll occasionally watch a segment on YouTube from MSNBC or CNN. I'm surprised at how biased they seem to be now. I agree more with their bias than that of Fox News, but I would rather find an unbiased news source.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
      I'll occasionally watch a segment on YouTube from MSNBC or CNN. I'm surprised at how biased they seem to be now. I agree more with their bias than that of Fox News, but I would rather find an unbiased news source.
      Yes.
      We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
        Yep. I haven't watched any of the news channels outside of election night is over a decade. Fox News ruined them all.

I miss the CNN of the eighties and early nineties.
        I think NPR does a good job. They aren’t perfect but they are serious

I prefer the term fairness and transparency to bias. Our news has always had bias of some kind of another.
        Fox News has been more unfair and murky than most. You have several of their hosts in close contact with Trump to the point where they influence policy and they are not the ones to disclose it. Hannity was one of Michael Cohen’s clients.

The origins of Fox News are very interesting. Roger Ailes was a Nixon operative during Watergate. He saw the need to counter the mainstream media with GOP propaganda. That drove him to push for Fox News’ model.

CNN still does some good hard news. They have great international bureaus. It’s our desire for infotainment that is also part of the problem. Fox News drew the best ratings and the other networks eventually started moving to follow suit. Neither are as bad, but MSNBC’s identity is solely that of s liberal counterpart to Fox.

Some good reporting actually happens at Fox but it is such a tiny slot in the day. Shep Smith and Chris Wallace are quality journalists.

Comment

• The Wall Street Journal is my primary news source.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
            The Wall Street Journal is my primary news source.
            Mine is cougarstadium.com

Comment

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post

I'll stop thread-jacking after this but WSJ journal does excellent work. Conservative editorial stance with fair and thorough reporting. I wish I didn't have to subscribe for full access.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                  Mine is cougarstadium.com
                  Uncle Ted is an excellent news source. Always sharing articles and information.

Comment

• Originally posted by Soccermom View Post
                    Uncle Ted is an excellent news source. Always sharing articles and information.
                    +1

And bonus, he usually captures what's going on in a few words and a picture.

Comment

I agree. BBC is also a go to, along with Reuters, AP, NPR and some foreign language outlets (yes I know BBC is foreign as is Reuters).
                      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                        I'll stop thread-jacking after this but WSJ journal does excellent work. Conservative editorial stance with fair and thorough reporting. I wish I didn't have to subscribe for full access.
                        That reminds me, where has old gregg been?
                        "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• On Aug. 13th, Steven Murdock, 55, a leader at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Salt Lake City, Utah, was visiting Tennessee with his wife, when the couple stopped at the Opry Mills Mall in Nashville. While his wife shopped, Murdock stationed himself at the dressing room, presenting himself as an employee.

According to Fox 17, Murdock guided shopper Alondra Alcala into a changing room, then, while she removed her top, he positioned his iPhone camera over the stall door. “I thought it was a joke,” Alcala told Fox 17. “I thought it was a prank, I thought somebody was just messing with me."
                          Realizing she was on film, “I freaked out, I froze,” Alcala said, adding that she switched rooms, only to find the same man inside. “Unfortunately, I felt disgusted with myself. I felt like what did I do wrong, what if I wouldn’t have done this, or wouldn’t have worn this,” Alcala told Fox 17. “I did feel violated, I felt gross, why is this happening to me?”

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/church-leader-fired-for-secretly-photographing-woman-inside-hm-dressing-room-202624903.html
                          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• That deserves a full WTF.
                            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                              That deserves a full WTF.
                              Seriously. Especially with the wife begging the girl not to call the cops. I know my wife wouldn’t go to bat for me in a situation like that. And I’m very okay with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• I hope The Church cracks down on the reporter for using Mormon in that first line.
                                Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Working...
                                X