Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
    Great article about one of the track team members coming out: https://www.outsports.com/2019/6/11/...-bi-coming-out

Her team and coaches responded perfectly.
    Great article indeed. The response of her coaches and teammates were perfect. The description of the environment at BYU being toxic for someone like her is also very true and demonstrates how BYU is a discriminatory institution.
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
      Great article indeed. The response of her coaches and teammates were perfect. The description of the environment at BYU being toxic for someone like her is also very true and demonstrates how BYU is a discriminatory institution.
      Yeah they really need to change that weird homophobic language about not expressing affection etc.

I still don’t understand why the church broadly and BYU specifically can’t just keep it simple and say “No extramarital sex.”

That allows for equal/fair treatment of everybody and is where things are definitely headed within 10 years in the Church.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
        Yeah they really need to change that weird homophobic language about not expressing affection etc.

I still don’t understand why the church broadly and BYU specifically can’t just keep it simple and say “No extramarital sex.”

That allows for equal/fair treatment of everybody and is where things are definitely headed within 10 years in the Church.
        I don't see it heading that way in 10 years. Unless there is major political for a change to happen, it will not happen. I think even if there was a credible threat to the tax exempt status of the church, they can absorb that financial hit and then spin it as it just another example of the downfall of society because the gays can marry. The only way it changes is if the LDS church loses substantial membership numbers because of discrimination against LGBTQ people.
        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

I don't see it heading that way in 10 years. Unless there is major political for a change to happen, it will not happen. I think even if there was a credible threat to the tax exempt status of the church, they can absorb that financial hit and then spin it as it just another example of the downfall of society because the gays can marry. The only way it changes is if the LDS church loses substantial membership numbers because of discrimination against LGBTQ people.
          It will be fascinating to watch for sure. The current position of "it's ok you're gay (just don't act so gay!)" is nothing more than a band aid. Anecdotally, the Church is losing the hearts and minds of its youth as it pertains to attitudes toward homosexuality. My kids are all in to the extent they can be (their mother takes them to church weekly, they participate in all of the Church's youth programs and advancements) and yet they disagree with prevailing attitudes about homosexuality. I know they can't be alone in that space considering how much safer it is to "come out" today compared to when I was in high school. Then again, perhaps my kids are simply one foot out the door toward apostacy like their old man?

I'd say 10 years is likely too soon, but something will need to change in order to prevent the substantial membership loss you cite. It will need to be subtle enough to also not offend the hardliner CB types whose testimonies would be shaken by perceived acceptance of homosexuality as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by HBCoug View Post
            It will be fascinating to watch for sure. The current position of "it's ok you're gay (just don't act so gay!)" is nothing more than a band aid. Anecdotally, the Church is losing the hearts and minds of its youth as it pertains to attitudes toward homosexuality. My kids are all in to the extent they can be (their mother takes them to church weekly, they participate in all of the Church's youth programs and advancements) and yet they disagree with prevailing attitudes about homosexuality. I know they can't be alone in that space considering how much safer it is to "come out" today compared to when I was in high school. Then again, perhaps my kids are simply one foot out the door toward apostacy like their old man?

I'd say 10 years is likely too soon, but something will need to change in order to prevent the substantial membership loss you cite. It will need to be subtle enough to also not offend the hardliner CB types whose testimonies would be shaken by perceived acceptance of homosexuality as well.
            Yep the current policy is definitely a transition “bandaid” on the road to full acceptance of gays.

My teenage daughter posts stuff like “Not letting gay people get married. Why was that ever a thing?” to her hundreds of teenage LDS followers and practically every person agrees with her. It’s only middle-aged and older people who remain homophobic.

Doesn’t the temple just talk about being “legally and lawfully” married? No idea why that can’t be the standard. Opposition to that standard can only be based on abstract theological concerns.

Comment

Things have moved pretty quickly in the church and society in general in the last 10 years.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                Things have moved pretty quickly in the church and society in general in the last 10 years.
                Society has progressed a lot in the past 10 years. The LDS church hasn't progressed pretty quickly. The progress with the LDS church has been extremely slow.
                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Society has progressed a lot in the past 10 years. The LDS church hasn't progressed pretty quickly. The progress with the LDS church has been extremely slow.
                  Not compared to the church's normal rate of change.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                    Yep the current policy is definitely a transition “bandaid” on the road to full acceptance of gays.

My teenage daughter posts stuff like “Not letting gay people get married. Why was that ever a thing?” to her hundreds of teenage LDS followers and practically every person agrees with her. It’s only middle-aged and older people who remain homophobic.

Doesn’t the temple just talk about being “legally and lawfully” married? No idea why that can’t be the standard. Opposition to that standard can only be based on abstract theological concerns.
                    The temple ceremony changes included a change to that language to make sure it is clear that God is not cool with the gays being married. It now is legally and lawfully married in the Lord's eyes, or something similar to that effect. The LDS church has made sure to state in no uncertain terms that they continue to oppose gay marriage.
                    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

For the church to change its stance in 10 years, there will have to be an upcoming president who would petition God and receive a revelation telling him that he's OK with gay marriage now.

Next president is Oaks. Ballard and Eyring are in the mix. Bednar looks like he is somewhere along 5th in line? Some of the more ostensibly progressive apostles are downstream.

Change is inevitable. At some point in time the LDS church will change its doctrine. But 10 years? Who's going to be the one who is open enough to get that ball rolling? I'm highly skeptical it happens in the next 20ish years.
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post

Next president is ....
                        But the leader is alway Jesus so you can save the dumbass predictions for Moliere's podcast.

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                          But the leader is alway Jesus so you can save the dumbass predictions for Moliere's podcast.
                          This is why you're a mod. You get everybody back in their lanes.

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                            Damn. Was my rehearsal that obvious?
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Funny to see how issues like these generally expose the differences between the two main types of apostates. There are the ho-hum apostates like HB (and flystripper, even though he hasn't chimed in on this today) who are actually hoping to see progress as soon as possible. Then there are the real anti, bitter apostates like mpfunk and nwc, who are secretly hoping the church doesn't ever come around on the issue. They don't say that openly, because they know it would be super gauche, but they know deep down it's true.
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Not compared to the church's normal rate of change.
                                This.

I agree with Falafel.

Even if you give the Church a failing grade for its substantive policies toward LGBTQ, you can still give the church an A+ for its institutional progress in the last decade.
                                Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Working...
                                X