Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
    Funny to see how issues like these generally expose the differences between the two main types of apostates. There are the ho-hum apostates like HB (and flystripper, even though he hasn't chimed in on this today) who are actually hoping to see progress as soon as possible. Then there are the real anti, bitter apostates like mpfunk and nwc, who are secretly hoping the church doesn't ever come around on the issue. They don't say that openly, because they know it would be super gauche, but they know deep down it's true.
    Oh, I want the church to change and hoping for it as soon as possible, it just recognize the reality of the situation that it will not be happening anytime soon.
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
      Oh, I want the church to change and hoping for it as soon as possible, it just recognize the reality of the situation that it will not be happening anytime soon.
      Yes, as I made clear, that is the politically correct thing for you to say. Thank you for being politically correct.
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Yes, as I made clear, that is the politically correct thing for you to say. Thank you for being politically correct.
        It is also absolutely what I believe.
        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
          The temple ceremony changes included a change to that language to make sure it is clear that God is not cool with the gays being married. It now is legally and lawfully married in the Lord's eyes, or something similar to that effect. The LDS church has made sure to state in no uncertain terms that they continue to oppose gay marriage.
          lol that Funk is more up to date on the wording of the temple ceremony than I am.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Funny to see how issues like these generally expose the differences between the two main types of apostates. There are the ho-hum apostates like HB (and flystripper, even though he hasn't chimed in on this today) who are actually hoping to see progress as soon as possible. Then there are the real anti, bitter apostates like mpfunk and nwc, who are secretly hoping the church doesn't ever come around on the issue. They don't say that openly, because they know it would be super gauche, but they know deep down it's true.
            My my, that's some solid psychoanalysis on your part. You've delved deep down into my psyche and fished out my true intentions, couched in soft language so my bitter anti-mo is hidden from the CS! Bravo.

Bro, I'm apostate through and through. But if you think that I'm so bitter that I don't want the church to change, just to keep my fragile reasons for leaving the church intact, you've completely misread my 8 year history of posting here. Since I'm entirely at peace with my relationship with the church, I can 100% say that I hope it changes. I won't go back to activity if it does, but I will give kudos where it's due. I still have the vast majority of my family who are all in, with a handful of members who are acutely affected by the doctrine against homosexuality. If nothing else, a change would immeasurably help them out.
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
              lol that Funk is more up to date on the wording of the temple ceremony than I am.
              Dido!

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                Dido!
                Eminem?
                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                  My my, that's some solid psychoanalysis on your part. You've delved deep down into my psyche and fished out my true intentions, couched in soft language so my bitter anti-mo is hidden from the CS! Bravo.

Bro, I'm apostate through and through. But if you think that I'm so bitter that I don't want the church to change, just to keep my fragile reasons for leaving the church intact, you've completely misread my 8 year history of posting here. Since I'm entirely at peace with my relationship with the church, I can 100% say that I hope it changes. I won't go back to activity if it does, but I will give kudos where it's due. I still have the vast majority of my family who are all in, with a handful of members who are acutely affected by the doctrine against homosexuality. If nothing else, a change would immeasurably help them out.
                  Save it you bitter exmo apostate!
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                    Save it you bitter exmo apostate!
                    Oh don't you worry. I'll save it alright. For the exmo subreddit!
                    - SeattleUte

Comment

• NWC, I think you are fair-minded and are quick to praise the church when genuine change is made.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I don't know about mpfunk or northwest but there are definitely a lot of Exmo's that this perfectly describes. I am active in various online forums sharing my perspective of the church patterned after Marcus Borg and other Liberal Christians who are fine with treating anything historically dubious scripture as metaphorical. In an LDS setting that goes for Adam and Eve, Book of Mormon historicity, First Vision, prophetic callings, etc. And to value and emphasize the fruits of the gospel, opportunity for worship and service--the lived experience. It doesn't work for everyone, but it does work many. And it's bulletproof against the black and white thinking "I can prove the church is not true" critics. I thought I'd get the most hate from active/conservative Mo's, which I do. But by far the most hate comes from the Exmo types who see this as a way for the Church to wiggle out of what they thought was certain death. "Hey you can't do that!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          NWC, I think you are fair-minded and are quick to praise the church when genuine change is made.
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            NWC, I think you are fair-minded and are quick to praise the church when genuine change is made.

Comment

• I am betting that it is faster than 10 years, but not what you expect. The church has already started the separation of Church and State with respect to marriage vs. Temple Sealing. We can now get married in a wardhouse, and the next day get sealed. We can get a courthouse ceremony for a reason as simple as a family member wanting to attend but not being temple worthy. We can also get married outside the temple if we are not worthy, and then get sealed a month later, or whenever our bishop deems us worthy. Sooner than you think, the church will altogether get out of the business of marrying people, and let the state conduct state-recognized marriage, with the church to follow up with a sealing a week later, a month later, a year later, or posthumously. Because it is a basic civil right to get married to whatever gender you want, but not a basic civil right to get eternally sealed for eternity to the same sex.

We already do it for births--the state issues the paperwork and registers the birth, and then the Church blesses the baby at some undetermined time after. We already do this for deaths.
                              Last edited by Katy Lied; 06-12-2019, 02:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                                I am betting that it is faster than 10 years, but not what you expect. The church has already started the separation of Church and State with respect to marriage vs. Temple Sealing. We can now get married in a wardhouse, and the next day get sealed. We can get a courthouse ceremony for a reason as simple as a family member wanting to attend but not being temple worthy. We can also get married outside the temple if we are not worthy, and then get sealed a month later, or whenever our bishop deems us worthy. Sooner than you think, the church will altogether get out of the business of marrying people, and let the state conduct state-recognized marriage, with the church to follow up with a sealing a week later, a month later, a year later, or posthumously. Because it is a basic civil right to get married to whatever gender you want, but not a basic civil right to get eternally sealed for the afterlife.

We already do it for births--the state issues the paperwork and registers the birth, and then the Church blesses the baby at some undetermined time after. We already do this for deaths.
                                And in some countries a civil marriage ceremony must precede any temple ceremony.
                                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                                X