No announcement yet.

Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can’t wait to have someone explain to me why refusing to provide authorities with info about reported sexual assaults is the right thing to do. Also the church just doesn’t know who served in what mission and when

https://www.ksl.com/article/46549785...r-missionaries
    Last edited by ScoopJahoop; 05-10-2019, 01:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoopJahoop View Post
      Can’t wait to have someone explain to me why refusing to provide authorities with info about reported sexual assaults is the right thing to do. Also the church just doesn’t know who served in what mission and when ��
      It would be helpful if you gave a link or at least some more context.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
        It would be helpful if you gave a link or at least some more context.
        Yeah I hit submit too soon

Comment

Can’t wait to have someone explain to me why refusing to provide authorities with info about reported sexual assaults is the right thing to do. Also the church just doesn’t know who served in what mission and when

I'm not sure why you don't believe them when they say they don't have the names of people who were in the MTC in a 2 month period in 1984, or the names of the people who served during a particular time frame. It was 1984. The local records weren't computerized until 1986. They may have had that information in 1985, or even 1986. But there were 29,000 missionaries in 1984 (based on the 29,265 number provided in April 1985 conference). So that's roughly 5,000 people who were in the MTC for a brief period of time. Probably a few handfuls of Sisters. In 1984. There's a reason Statutes of Limitations exist, you know.

Now, can they run a search on Sex=Female, Mission=Buenos Aires Argentina North Mission? Sure. That information, at least, is kept in the Membership record. It's less certain that the dates of service are included. The dates of service aren't kept for any other non-leadership calling.

Comment

Can’t wait to have someone explain to me why refusing to provide authorities with info about reported sexual assaults is the right thing to do. Also the church just doesn’t know who served in what mission and when

The link you posted doesn’t say either of those things, SJ. FYI, you hurt your credibility when you exaggerate or misrepresent.
            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
              I'm not sure why you don't believe them when they say they don't have the names of people who were in the MTC in a 2 month period in 1984, or the names of the people who served during a particular time frame. It was 1984. The local records weren't computerized until 1986. They may have had that information in 1985, or even 1986. But there were 29,000 missionaries in 1984 (based on the 29,265 number provided in April 1985 conference). So that's roughly 5,000 people who were in the MTC for a brief period of time. Probably a few handfuls of Sisters. In 1984. There's a reason Statutes of Limitations exist, you know.

Now, can they run a search on Sex=Female, Mission=Buenos Aires Argentina North Mission? Sure. That information, at least, is kept in the Membership record. It's less certain that the dates of service are included. The dates of service aren't kept for any other non-leadership calling.
              Also he was President in Buenos Aires from 78-81. Long before the 86 date of going digital. I imagine the information imported from before then in limited.

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                Also he was President in Buenos Aires from 78-81. Long before the 86 date of going digital. I imagine the information imported from before then in limited.
                Sounds like the attorney wants to go fishing for more clients.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                  The link you posted doesn’t say either of those things, SJ. FYI, you hurt your credibility when you exaggerate or misrepresent.
                  The church has refused to provide the identities of those who reported assault to their ecclesiastical leaders and told the court they “didn’t have that information” re missionaries who served under him. BS they don’t.

Comment

• Yeah, you're missing the mark here Scoop. Regroup and try again with the next MOTCOJCOLDS news story.
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by LVAllen View Post

And I’m not sure how you could possibly believe them when they say they don’t. Record keeping people and all that.

Comment

The church has refused to provide the identities of those who reported assault to their ecclesiastical leaders and told the court they “didn’t have that information” re missionaries who served under him. BS they don’t.
                        They said they didn't have a list. That's not the same thing as saying they don't have it. They may be able to compile a list, but the question is whether that is unduly burdensome and proportional to the needs of the case. The judge correctly ordered that that church make a "reasonable" effort to produce the requested information. It may not be reasonable to ask the church to scour hundreds of thousands of records and compile the requested information. Then again, it may be. Difficult for us arm-chair litigators to determine.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

And I’m not sure how you could possibly believe them when they say they don’t. Record keeping people and all that.

You think they have a list laying around of missionaries that served in a specific mission 40 years ago? I’m sure the information exists somewhere, but my guess is it’s on a hundred different magnetic tapes or thousands of microfiche and stored in that large granite vault thingy.

The church sounds truthful in their response. The judge then asked them to make a reasonable effort to produce it. Sounds like the church will comply. Not sure why all the outrage.
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

You think they have a list laying around of missionaries that served in a specific mission 40 years ago? I’m sure the information exists somewhere, but my guess is it’s on a hundred different magnetic tapes or thousands of microfiche and stored in that large granite vault thingy.

The church sounds truthful in their response. The judge then asked them to make a reasonable effort to produce it. Sounds like the church will comply. Not sure why all the outrage.
                            Because he left the church and now has nowhere to direct all of his pent up energy.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Stupid or liar? You are either one or the other. I'll let you go ahead and pick. Let us know, though.
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                                Stupid or liar? You are either one or the other. I'll let you go ahead and pick. Let us know, though.
                                I don't know if he is either of those things, but I am confident he hasn't completely thought this through. What happens if the church produces a list and there are missionaries who do not want that information shared with the court? The assumption that the court and in turn the accuser has an absolute right to that information is problematic.
                                Last edited by tooblue; 05-10-2019, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X