Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
    A classic Mr. Nice Guy. Robert Glover's book, No More Mr. Nice Guy has the Peter Priesthood Mormon stereotype nailed. People who haven't read it should do so.
    I guess I don't understand what a "Peter Priesthood" is.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
      I guess I don't understand what a "Peter Priesthood" is.
      Self awareness is the first step!
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Self awareness is the first step!
        Ha!

I'd always thought it was a super devout Mormon guy, not a wife beater.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• The Rob Porter mess is putting the Church back on the front page. This piece on CNN's website is a reasonable outsider's view of the Church and how its culture (and local leaders) might not always be as good at reacting to spousal abuse as it should be. This would be a good topic for a First Sunday quorum meeting.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
            The Rob Porter mess is putting the Church back on the front page. This piece on CNN's website is a reasonable outsider's view of the Church and how its culture (and local leaders) might not always be as good at reacting to spousal abuse as it should be. This would be a good topic for a First Sunday quorum meeting.
            The reports if at all accurate are shocking to me, as I would have expected the leaders to do something about it, immediately.

I know there is a hotline to SLC for sexual abuse, but isn't there also one for spousal and child abuse?
            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Ha!

I'd always thought it was a super devout Mormon guy, not a wife beater.
              If you read the book, you'll see the connections.
              We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                You don't even need proof for a protective order. In the case of someone I know very well, a protective order was issued in spite of significant proof that nothing happened.

She later confessed tom him that she was lying. "Yeah, you didn't touch me, but I could tell by the look in your eyes that you wanted to."

I've shared about my dad's crazy third wife who, when he divorced her, accused him of all sorts of crazy things. She'd go get a restraining order, which was paid for by the local women's shelter and free to her. There was no proof of anything but Dad would have to pay a lot of money to get it removed. The next day, Crazy ExWife would go get another restraining order, which cost her nothing, and Dad would have to pay to get it removed. This happened 3-4 times in a row and eventually, I begged mom to help dad out, and she pro-bono'd him to remove a couple of the restraining orders.

Dad's Crazy Ex-wife's favorite thing was to attend Dad's sacrament meeting. It wasn't her home ward- it was his. She'd sit in the back row, where Dad couldn't see her and had no idea she was even there. Then she'd call the cops and get them to drag dad out of the meeting. She loved to do this during Sacrament because it was maximal disruptus and maximal embarricus for him. This happened a few times before the ward turned on her.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                  I've shared about my dad's crazy third wife who, when he divorced her, accused him of all sorts of crazy things. She'd go get a restraining order, which was paid for by the local women's shelter and free to her. There was no proof of anything but Dad would have to pay a lot of money to get it removed. The next day, Crazy ExWife would go get another restraining order, which cost her nothing, and Dad would have to pay to get it removed. This happened 3-4 times in a row and eventually, I begged mom to help dad out, and she pro-bono'd him to remove a couple of the restraining orders.

Dad's Crazy Ex-wife's favorite thing was to attend Dad's sacrament meeting. It wasn't her home ward- it was his. She'd sit in the back row, where Dad couldn't see her and had no idea she was even there. Then she'd call the cops and get them to drag dad out of the meeting. She loved to do this during Sacrament because it was maximal disruptus and maximal embarricus for him. This happened a few times before the ward turned on her.
                  That's brutal...

My running joke is that my MIL dislikes me so much that I've stayed married to her daughter for 34 years.... just to spite her.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                  -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Rob Porter is my ex-husband. Here’s what you should know about abuse.

Then there is the just-as-serious issue of being believed and supported by those you choose to tell. Sometimes people don’t believe you. Sometimes they have difficulty truly understanding what you are trying to tell them. Both Willoughby and I raised our cases with clergy. Both of us had a hard time getting them to fully address the abuse taking place. It wasn’t until I spoke to a professional counselor that I was met with understanding.

Comment

• Mormons want to save the Republican party's soul. But is it too late?

Comment

• Yes, it is too late... Mormons should just join the Libertarian party.

LOL... Nice picture:

4368.jpg

Looks like polygamy is still very much a thing in Chorley, Lancashire for mormons.
                        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Tonga's churches of sorrow and gratitude

Churches, however, proved to be literal life-savers; around 6000 people sought shelter in them on the night of storm, not trusting their own homes to weather 200kmh winds.

The National Emergency Management Office's logistics advisor Graham Kenna said Tonga's sturdily built Mormon churches were responsible for the lack of cyclone-related deaths in the kingdom that night.

Mormon churches in Tonga are built out of bricks to American standards, he said, and were known to withstand powerful storms better than the often simply constructed local homes.

Comment

25 years ago, I was on Vancouver island on my mission, and we tracted into a guy who was a contractor that built a small chapel there recently. He said if there was ever an earthquake, tsunami, or other catastrophic even, he would be heading to the church. The churches construction specs were much higher than the existing codes there. Unfortunately, that was his extent of interest in the church. I guess the Spirit doesn't testify to the truth of the gospel through blueprints, just the scriptures.

Comment

• President Nelson is not a 2nd Amendment-at-all-costs kind of guy.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2018...dnt-have-them/

Sorry for the paywall. The Trib thinks it's worth something.

Comment

• Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
                                President Nelson is not a 2nd Amendment-at-all-costs kind of guy.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2018...dnt-have-them/

Sorry for the paywall. The Trib thinks it's worth something.
                                “Well, God allows us to have our agency and men have passed laws that allow guns to go to people who shouldn’t have them.”
                                So it boils down to free agency? Dems... call your congressman and demand the repeal of free agency! Sounds like a great plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X