Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
    Isn't he the dude in the most recent BYU ad? It will be interesting to see of they choose not to run any of those during the game tomorrow, or if they run something different instead.
    Please tell me this is not a serious question.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Looks like a serious question to me. But the answer is yes: he is the dude in the BYU ad.
      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
        next you’re going to tell me that david archuleta is gay!!!!!
        Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Village drill commercial getting all the play today.
          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
            Village drill commercial getting all the play today.
            I was trying to figure out what you meant by this euphemism for too long.
            "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
            "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
            This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
            "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
            "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
              I think the solution may be using resources like Skype therapy. I have a really good therapist. He is in Florida. I've never met in person. My wife has a really good therapist, she is in Washington. She has never met her therapist. We have more flexibility with times for therapy. Instead of it taking over an hour for a session (have to drive to the office/drive back) a 1-hour therapy session is an hour as we don't even have to leave the house. By the way, both therapists are LCSW's and mine has completed his Ph.D.

I wonder if some of the solution to this in smaller cities, or even larger cities, is for universities to contract with Skype therapists or even help students be aware of these options.
              I'm glad teletherapy works for you, but I'm not a fan of it yet. Also, I'm fairly certain Skype is not HIPAA compliant.
              Last edited by frank ryan; 12-22-2018, 05:37 PM.

Comment

• Has this already been posted?

Ammon Bundy breaks with Trump on anti-migrant rhetoric: ‘It’s all fear-based’

On Tuesday night, an unlikely critic took President Trump to task for his comments portraying members of the migrant caravan now massed in Tijuana as “criminals” and “gang members.” In a video posted on Facebook, Ammon Bundy, the anti-government militia leader, pushed back against Trump’s heated rhetoric.

“He has basically called them all criminals and said they’re not coming in here. It seems that there’s been this group stereotype,” Bundy said in a 17-minute clip. “But what about those who have come here for reasons of need? . . . What about the fathers, the mothers, the children, who have come here and are willing to go through the process to apply for asylum so they can come into this country and benefit from not having to be oppressed continually by criminals?"

Along with his father, Cliven, and brother, Ryan, Bundy became an ascendant figure on the right after a long-standing land dispute with federal authorities sparked an armed standoff at the family ranch in Nevada in 2014. Since then, the Bundys have regularly clashed with the government both inside and outside the courtroom, making them figureheads of the anti-Washington energy that also propelled Trump to the White House.

But Bundy’s message Tuesday may be another sign that Trump’s border policy is isolating him from many who are usually fully tuned in to his messaging.

“It’s all fear-based, and frankly it’s based upon selfishness — ‘I’m going to lose something by them coming in,’ ” Bundy said of the anti-migrant rhetoric. “I think that’s incorrect. But also to base your arguments or your motives or your actions upon fear is a very dangerous thing to do.”

There is an explicit overlap between the land battles fought by Bundy and his followers and Trump.

In January 2016, Bundy and other militia members rallied around Dwight and Steven Hammond, a father and son who were jailed by federal authorities on arson charges stemming from a dispute over their Oregon ranch. In response, Bundy and his group led a 41-day occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge. The standoff came to a head when Robert “LaVoy” Finicum was killed by law enforcement at the refuge on Jan. 26, 2016. Bundy was later acquitted by a jury for his role in the occupation...

In his video Tuesday night, Ammon Bundy said he attempted to do his own research on the border to separate fact from fiction.

“I tried to go outside of the media, both in this case the media from the conservative side and the media from the liberal side because I do not believe either one of them are telling the truth,” he said. “On the liberal side, you have, ‘Oh, we’ve got to let them in.’ . . . Then, you have the conservative side of it that has it they’re here because they’ve been sent by the U.N. or they’re being paid by George Soros, they’re a bunch of terrorists. I have found that is a bunch of garbage, too.”

Bundy acknowledged that among the “thousands” of migrants in the caravan, there are some that will “act like criminals.” But he argued the majority of the people are fleeing violence in countries like Honduras. “Then, they come to the border, and they have a right — a legal right — to apply to come into this country,” he argued. “Each one of them should be considered individually.”

The anchor behind Bundy’s feelings about the border stem from what he calls the responsibility of Americans in this “Christian nation.” The Bundy family’s personal brand of Mormonism mingles the faith with an individualistic interpretation of the U.S. Constitution, a fusing of church and state that, they claim, justifies their battles against the federal government.

“I have been frankly surprised, disappointed and even at times disgusted [by] the amount of people who profess to be Christians but will not truly adhere to what Christ said,” he said.

Bundy also said his past comments in favor of the migrants had triggered negative feedback, “negative to the point where several people wished me dead,” he explained. But he remained steadfast in his opinion.

“These are people, the majority of them need help,” Bundy said. “There is a possibility of danger with some of them, they need to be vetted. And then they need to be brought in here and added to this great, wonderful country.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.15adf683fcc2

Comment

• I realize he turned down the BYU coaching job, but this seems awfully spiteful and mean spirited. I wonder how many wins this costs Navy over the next seven years?

https://www.thechurchnews.com/member...resident-48835

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• This is a friend from high school. He leaves behind a wife and 6 daughters. Brad was pretty much the nicest guy you've ever met. Always laughing and never missing an opportunity to make a joke. He will be missed.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46486470...valanche-found
                    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                      This is a friend from high school. He leaves behind a wife and 6 daughters. Brad was pretty much the nicest guy you've ever met. Always laughing and never missing an opportunity to make a joke. He will be missed.

That sucks.
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Very sad.
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• ugh. too many avalanche deaths.
                          I'm like LeBron James.
                          -mpfunk

Comment

This is a friend from high school. He leaves behind a wife and 6 daughters. Brad was pretty much the nicest guy you've ever met. Always laughing and never missing an opportunity to make a joke. He will be missed.

At Church yesterday I was talking to the Branch President and he mentioned that this was his cousin. Very sad. Sounds like the dad who had pretty much retired will have to come back to work full time at the pharmacy to support the family.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                              At Church yesterday I was talking to the Branch President and he mentioned that this was his cousin. Very sad. Sounds like the dad who had pretty much retired will have to come back to work full time at the pharmacy to support the family.
                              I hadn't really given much thought to all the post-death financial details, but I was hoping Brad had a fat life insurance policy in place. If his dad is going to have to go back to work to support the family, that's probably not the case. Here's a little piece KSL did on Brad this past weekend:

https://ksltv.com/407886/brad-staple...AhC4a1JjEM-KHQ
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

I hadn't really given much thought to all the post-death financial details, but I was hoping Brad had a fat life insurance policy in place. If his dad is going to have to go back to work to support the family, that's probably not the case. Here's a little piece KSL did on Brad this past weekend:

https://ksltv.com/407886/brad-staple...AhC4a1JjEM-KHQ
                                The guy he was with that survived is a close friend of mine from high school. He is the one who jumped up on his sled and put his hand in the air so he was able to dig himself out. Such a sad story.
                                *Banned*

Comment

Working...
                                X