Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
    If a woman told you she was in an argument with her husband, she got in the shower, and he dragged her out of the shower to argue more, you would tell her to call the cops, and then advise her to leave and get a restraining order? Just curious, what would the cops do? Honest question.
    And what would the prosecutor do.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

If a woman told you she was in an argument with her husband, she got in the shower, and he dragged her out of the shower to argue more, you would tell her to call the cops, and then advise her to leave and get a restraining order? Just curious, what would the cops do? Honest question.
      It all depends on what constitutes being "dragged out of the shower". I certainly have been in arguments with my wife where one of us wants to be done with the fight and so we try and do "something else" only to have that "something else" interrupted by the other person to continue the argument. I don't think that either of us ever felt abused in those instances, but I am sure we were annoyed by the argument continuing when one party wanted it to be over.
      Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Potentially refer charges to the prosecutor for DV assault. They also may not refer charges because of the he said/she said nature of it.

In Utah, if I could prove those facts, it wouldn't be hard to get the entry of a protective order.
        Last edited by MartyFunkhouser; 02-08-2018, 12:40 PM.
        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
          Potentially charge him with DV assault. They also may not charge him because of the he said/she said nature of it.

In Utah, if I could prove those facts, it wouldn't be hard to get the entry of a protective order.
          You don't even need proof for a protective order. In the case of someone I know very well, a protective order was issued in spite of significant proof that nothing happened.

She later confessed tom him that she was lying. "Yeah, you didn't touch me, but I could tell by the look in your eyes that you wanted to."

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• I think it's tough to judge exactly what to do with the shower incident. I think it qualifies as physical abuse. It certainly isn't as harmful to health as a punch to the face. But alarm bells should be ringing anytime someone physically prevents another from detaching from an argument.
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
              I think it's tough to judge exactly what to do with the shower incident. I think it qualifies as physical abuse. It certainly isn't as harmful to health as a punch to the face. But alarm bells should be ringing anytime someone physically prevents another from detaching from an argument.
              This is great. I am going to tell my wife to stop abusing me when she stands in front of the TV while trying to continue an argument. She is physically preventing me from disengaging.

BTW this guy is a dirtbag as evidenced by the punch he delivered.
              Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                This is great. I am going to tell my wife to stop abusing me when she stands in front of the TV while trying to continue an argument. She is physically preventing me from disengaging.

BTW this guy is a dirtbag as evidenced by the punch he delivered.
                Does she grab you from your chair and take you into another room? Is so, then I think it's time to consider getting a restraining order.
                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

Comment

Does she grab you from your chair and take you into another room? Is so, then I think it's time to consider getting a restraining order.
                  Whoa whoa whoa, who said anything about going in another room?
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• What about fast talking? Where does that rate?

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                      Whoa whoa whoa, who said anything about going in another room?
                      He came to the shower and grabbed me by the shoulders and pulled me out of the shower to continue arguing
                      You are right. I assumed too much. It could have just been pulling her out of the shower and onto the bath mat, so she could hear him more clearly.
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

• I think I've mentioned this once or twice before, but I love this internet forum!
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

Comment

You are right. I assumed too much. It could have just been pulling her out of the shower and onto the bath mat, so she could hear him more clearly.
                          I've also heard that he turned off the shower, as he didn't want there to be any excess noise to distract from the conversation.

funk, don't forget to put that in your application for a TRO.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                              A classic Mr. Nice Guy. Robert Glover's book, No More Mr. Nice Guy has the Peter Priesthood Mormon stereotype nailed. People who haven't read it should do so.
                              We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                                Given added context of the history and verbal and emotional abuse, the shower incident does seem pretty bad...of course that wasn't at all the impression given in the linked article above. Kudos to this lady for being so open and honest. MJ and I know a seemingly normal family where teh husband was called as a bishop. This was the ward we lived in prior to moving to Texas and the wife is a good friend of MJs as they served together in YW. About two years ago MJ got a note from the lady saying she had left the husband and documented a history of constant physical, emotional and sexual abuse by teh husband. I guess she stuck around through it for so many years for many of the reasons that Portman's ex-wife discusses. Crazy to think that this happens much more often than we imagine.
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X