Page 129 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130 LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,870 of 3891

Thread: Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the News

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    I'm telling you, there is something seriously wrong with a lot of the LDS dudes in Portland. I only served in four areas, and I know three dudes from church who are currently in prison for this type of garbage (one got baptized right before I came in the area; the other I helped to reactivate and baptized his stepkids; the other was a creepy MFer in the ward who entered a plea bargain and is now ticked that thirty years with no eligiblity for parole until year 20 really means he has to be in prison for 20 years and is claiming ineffective assistance of counsel).
    I can't even deny the allegations. I've seen too much around here to say that's an overstatement. Even one of my old friends was called to be a bishop - and ended up taking a 2nd wife while being the bishop.

You should see our ward parties - lot's of swapping going on!

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    Bishop and drivers education instructor problems with stopping short. https://fox13now.com/2019/09/05/oreg...g-20-students/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wonder how he tied in doing jumping jacks and learning to drive a car. Every once in a while I'll hear a woman say, "you men are sick" and after hearing story like this it's hard to argue against that.

Our new national security advisor:

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...ps-latter-day/
    Last edited by Northwestcoug; 09-18-2019 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Our new acting national security advisor:

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...ps-latter-day/
    Not acting. Not a position requiring Senate confirmation.
    “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Copelius View Post
    Not acting. Not a position requiring Senate confirmation.
    Thanks. Fixed.

Last edited by MartyFunkhouser; 10-09-2019 at 01:10 PM.
    To me, it's nothin' but a one-man cult
    And cyanide in my styrofoam cup
    -- Frank Ocean, Bad Religion

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    The continued defending of the exclusion policy and the claims the policy was about love, really undermines the goodwill created when it was rescinded.
    that whole thing has been a cluster but at least now we have a talking point when someone brings it up. It was all about love
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    that whole thing has been a cluster but at least now we have a talking point when someone brings it up. It was all about love
    That episode has been weirdly mismanaged, but so have a lot of recent, post Prop 8 policies been awkwardly considered and issued.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.azc...amp/3914978002

I met this dude a few times when he was an undergraduate. He and my cousin were both student body officers at ASU.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

I met this dude a few times when he was an undergraduate. He and my cousin were both student body officers at ASU.
    Takes a special kind of person to do what he did. He can call it helping people who want to grow their family through adoption - but the human trafficking element is pretty sickening. I've heard way too many stories of low income families from the pacific islands thinking they are sending their kids to get citizenship and an education without understanding what "adoption" really means. As the article says - many of these families, this time from the Marshall Islands - thought that their kids were coming home at age 18, after finishing school.

Well that's kind of shady.

To me, it's nothin' but a one-man cult
    And cyanide in my styrofoam cup
    -- Frank Ocean, Bad Religion

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

You were in my thoughts, if not prayers, yesterday when I read that. I assume you volunteered for building clean-up.

I hope Max Hall's family wasn't anywhere near the meetinghouse. Lord knows they've had enough beer poured on them to last a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by HBCoug View Post
    I hope Max Hall's family wasn't anywhere near the meetinghouse. Lord knows they've had enough beer poured on them to last a lifetime.

Based on the pictures, looks like it wasn't beer after all. Just Bud Light.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46653802...underage-girls

A YW advisor was having sex with one of the YW - oy vey.

A woman recently told police that in 2014 when she was 16, she began a sexual relationship with Chesnut that continued after she turned 18. Chesnut and the girl’s mother “worked together at the church in the LDS young women's program,” according to charging documents.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

And some people think women should have the priesthood.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

Here's in interesting comment to the article:

I make this statement with hesitation because so many comments are not posted. Sadly, it is good to hear that woman leaders in the LDS church stray and are now being prosecuted. So often it is scout leaders who are being caught and prosecuted.My prayers are for all victims to find peace and the healing balm that the saviour offers.
    We're just happy it's not a Scout leader in trouble this time!
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

In some distant dimension - they do. I bet things work pretty well over there. Maybe they have female Bishop's for the women, and Male Bishop's for the men.

It's an anything goes Universe!

I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    But, apparently, not exactly on-topic.

"This does sound like a terrible and tragic thing," spokesman Eric Hawkin told CNN. "As from what I can tell, these were members of a polygamist sect, and not members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

I honestly don't know if that's the best thing that he could have said, but I don't know what question he was asked, either.

Quote Originally Posted by LVAllen View Post
    But, apparently, not exactly on-topic.

"This does sound like a terrible and tragic thing," spokesman Eric Hawkin told CNN. "As from what I can tell, these were members of a polygamist sect, and not members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

I honestly don't know if that's the best thing that he could have said, but I don't know what question he was asked, either.
    I am not even sure what he said is accurate.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00001893543765
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    I am not even sure what he said is accurate.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00001893543765
    Some not so empathetic comments in that thread.

Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

The LeBarons are a mixed bag as far as church membership is concerned. They founded the Church of the Firstborn and settled in Mexico 80 years after the other Mormon colonies settled. But over time, many have returned to mainstream Mormonism. I can't remember the exact number, but many of you have likely had LeBaron relatives in your respective wards throughout the intermountain west (I know that I have in Texas).
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

a day late/a dollar short Sullyute's Avatar

The LeBarons are a mixed bag as far as church membership is concerned. They founded the Church of the Firstborn and settled in Mexico 80 years after the other Mormon colonies settled. But over time, many have returned to mainstream Mormonism. I can't remember the exact number, but many of you have likely had LeBaron relatives in your respective wards throughout the intermountain west (I know that I have in Texas).
    I had a LaBaron family in my ward growing up in Utah. No idea if they were related to the same LaBaron family in Mexico.
    "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Theyve raised $110K so far.

I've known some LaBaron's. Good people.