Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pelagius View Post
    I haven't read this thread so maybe someone already suggested this ... but it strikes me that we still need an acceptable shorthand way to refer to the church. My suggestion is we just start calling ourselves Melchizedeks. It's short, still starts with M, and has the virtue of already being whitelisted by the Lord for these sort of naming issues.
    Ha! MJ asked me if I thought the church would change their url. I can’t figure out why they would. A url is oftentimes meant to be shorthand or abteviated, especially when your real name is so long. I’m sure Satan isn’t sitting around smiling every time someone types LDS.org into their browser...but maybe he is.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
      Unlike most of what you post, this is ignorant. The sobriquet issue was on Nelson's mind since the 90s, as you can see from his address in April 1990. This change has nothing to do with a failure of recent lobbying efforts and everything to do with RMN's position. What evidence, apart from possible musings of ex or non-mormons, is there that this change results from a perceived taint on the name Mormon resulting from politics? The church isnt complaining that "Mormon" isn't christ-like enough, they are saying we should become more Christ-like by calling ourselves after him, as his disciples, which he told us we should do in the BoM.
      Was the sobriquet issue on RMN's mind or God's mind, because I was told that the new naming directive came from God and not from RMN.

And for the record, I say lots of ignorant things.
      "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
        Was the sobriquet issue on RMN's mind or God's mind, because I was told that the new naming directive came from God and not from RMN.

The statements were made by RMN. Many statements by men holding the same calling have been attributed to God by those men yet later evidence suggested that they weren't. It's up to you to decide what you believe. Is that an uncomfortable position to hold? You bet, I'm uncomfortable, but I'll continue wrestling with God over these matters for now.

Comment

I suppose it was on both of their minds assuming you listened to RMNs talks in the past and read the Book of Mormon as gods words.

The issue I took with your comment was that the whole thing arose from lobbying efforts gone astray.

We can be in the ignorance club together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

The Church wants to have it both ways. They want to meddle in politics and lobby for unpopular causes and then complain when the moniker Mormon becomes tainted and doesn't sound Christie enough. It's nonsense to suggest that God has suddenly decided that when people don't expend a dozen syllables to reference the Church, that Satan and his minions give themselves high-fives. Hopefully the Church will settle on a brand and get out of the lobbying game and back into the religion game.
            ca7.jpg

Comment

• I'm uncomfortable with you people shortening President Russell M. Nelson's name to RMN. It's like you're putting it right back in his face.

I won't stand for it.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
              -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                I'm uncomfortable with you people shortening President Russell M. Nelson's name to RMN. It's like you're putting it right back in his face.

I won't stand for it.
                I'm uncomfortable with you using the single letter M. to represent Marion, please ensure in future communications that use of the full name will be correctly incorporated. I'm also uncomfortable with M. Russell Ballard, D. Todd Christofferson, and others omitting their first given names which were likely given to them in a Priesthood blessing. At minimum they were given those names by their parents and this blatant disregard for the 5th commandment should not be tolerated. This is blasphemous, and pleases Satan to no end. Anyone want to vouch for me at the Stake Center Courthouse?

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                  I'm uncomfortable with you people shortening President Russell M. Nelson's name to RMN. It's like you're putting it right back in his face.

I won't stand for it.
                  From now on, I will only refer to him as Russell Marion Nelson Sr. Oh wait, I mean Russell Marion Nelson Senior. Take that, Satan!
                  "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the News

This was shared on facebook by a former member who almost certainly needs to take a social media fast, as she seemingly spends all day reading fb feeds for political/social activism and then sharing them. And, if memory serves, she has actually announced multiple times in the past that she would be unplugging for a period of time because it would benefit her personally and spiritually to get off social media for a while.

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                      This was shared on facebook by a former member who almost certainly needs to take a social media fast, as she seemingly spends all day reading fb feeds for political/social activism and then sharing them. And, if memory serves, she has actually announced multiple times in the past that she would be unplugging for a period of time because it would benefit her personally and spiritually to get off social media for a while.

Actually, we like our wives and our kids to keep quiet.
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Ha, lots of hand wringing about the invitation. Some are believing it’s a plot by the church to silence women around election time. I guess these people don’t realize they belong to a world wide church and no time table was given for when the fast should start. They also probably over exaggerate their presence and influence on social media.
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

That twitter thread is a train wreck. People are dumb.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• https://www.thisamericanlife.org/661...-what-happened
                            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Ira Glass talks with producer Lilly Sullivan about a story she heard growing up about men messing with a girl’s mind. Lilly can relate.
                              When producer Elna Baker was a kid, adults told her to go into small rooms with adult men and talk about sex things. Regularly. It was so routine for her that she barely thought to talk about it. Until recently... when she started calling other women who did the same thing.
                              Funny stuff, SU. But why didn't they include a screenshot of Eckhart from that seminary flick?
                              "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                              "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                              This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                              "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                              "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• i wasn't sure where to put this, but a byu student jumped/fell from the fourth floor in the atrium of the tanner building.

https://fox13now.com/2018/12/03/stud...-byu-building/
                                I'm like LeBron James.
                                -mpfunk

Comment

Working...
                                X