No announcement yet.

Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know anything about this guy, but another excommunication.

https://www.thespectrum.com/story/ne...ed/2205373002/
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
      i wasn't sure where to put this, but a byu student jumped/fell from the fourth floor in the atrium of the tanner building.

https://fox13now.com/2018/12/03/stud...-byu-building/
      Has anyone heard about the status of the student? Last I heard she was in critical condition but still alive.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
        Has anyone heard about the status of the student? Last I heard she was in critical condition but still alive.
        She has died. Announced today.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

i wasn't sure where to put this, but a byu student jumped/fell from the fourth floor in the atrium of the tanner building.

https://fox13now.com/2018/12/03/stud...-byu-building/
          Looks like it was confirmed as a suicide attempt and the person died this morning. Very sad.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
            Looks like it was confirmed as a suicide attempt and the person died this morning. Very sad.
            https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/12/...ublic-suicide/

Just a sad situation. By the way, I do not think this is a BYU problem. The availability of good mental health counseling services at a reasonable cost is a problem across the country.
            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post

Just a sad situation. By the way, I do not think this is a BYU problem. The availability of good mental health counseling services at a reasonable cost is a problem across the country.
              Crazy that BYU has as many counselors as Utah, USU, and UVU combined yet it's not enough. I would've thought that 1 counselor per 1,000 students would cover anyone that needs help. It's so sad to think about people who feel like they fell through the cracks and don't have a lifeline to grab.
              "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
              "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
              This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
              "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
              "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Yes.

BYU has 29 counselors and four interns to serve a campus of more than 33,000. According to the most accepted recommendations, that’s hitting the minimum of what a school should have. Others in Utah fare worse.

Neighboring Utah Valley University in Orem has seven counselors and more than 35,000 students. The University of Utah has 14.25 counselors for 33,000 students (about the same population as BYU). Students at Utah State University voted last year to raise student fees to hire another therapist. They now have 8.5 counselors for 16,000 students.

“Like any university, we have a wait time,” Jenkins said. “That’s a challenge that we face.”
                https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/12/...MeBDJkEvRemUpg

Also:

https://www.sltrib.com/news/educatio...gh-therapists/
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• so utah has one counselor for every 2600 students, but the wait time is 9 days. Dixie has one for every 2200 and the wait time is 2 days. BYU has one for every 1000 students, but the wait time is 3-4 weeks? hmmmm...

does this mean more BYU students are in need of counseling than other schools? the counselors aren't making themselves available? or the program is just managed poorly? combination of all three?
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

so utah has one counselor for every 2600 students, but the wait time is 9 days. Dixie has one for every 2200 and the wait time is 2 days. BYU has one for every 1000 students, but the wait time is 3-4 weeks? hmmmm...

does this mean more BYU students are in need of counseling than other schools? the counselors aren't making themselves available? or the program is just managed poorly? combination of all three?
                    I had the same questions. It seems strange that Utah, with roughly the same amount of students and less than half the amount of counselors can get people seen on average of 8.9 days and BYU has a wait of 3-4 weeks.

Comment

so utah has one counselor for every 2600 students, but the wait time is 9 days. Dixie has one for every 2200 and the wait time is 2 days. BYU has one for every 1000 students, but the wait time is 3-4 weeks? hmmmm...

I wondered the same thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Soccermom View Post
                        I had the same questions. It seems strange that Utah, with roughly the same amount of students and less than half the amount of counselors can get people seen on average of 8.9 days and BYU has a wait of 3-4 weeks.
                        right, because ultimately, the issue is the wait time. the number of counselors is only an issue insasmuch as it affects the wait time.
                        Last edited by smokymountainrain; 12-06-2018, 11:50 AM.
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

Comment

• SUU's wait-time is about 4 weeks right now. (and the enrollment is closer to 11,000)

I'm sensitive to kids who are in pain.
                          In a bigger city, there are typically counselors and therapists available through private practices.
                          In a smaller place like Cedar City, there just aren't enough to meet demand, especially as both demand and student-body numbers climb. Students voted to raise their own student-fees at SUU to pay for another counselor, but it just isn't making a dent in the wait-times. In addition, the salaries are too low to attract many applicants.

At some point, I think that Universities are going to realize that they can't address the scope and breadth of this problem with university-based counselors.
                          Short-term help seems vital and necessary, but a lot of these kids need long-term therapy - something that isn't really within a University's mission.
                          "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                          -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

• Originally posted by Solon View Post
                            SUU's wait-time is about 4 weeks right now. (and the enrollment is closer to 11,000)

I'm sensitive to kids who are in pain.
                            In a bigger city, there are typically counselors and therapists available through private practices.
                            In a smaller place like Cedar City, there just aren't enough to meet demand, especially as both demand and student-body numbers climb. Students voted to raise their own student-fees at SUU to pay for another counselor, but it just isn't making a dent in the wait-times. In addition, the salaries are too low to attract many applicants.

At some point, I think that Universities are going to realize that they can't address the scope and breadth of this problem with university-based counselors.
                            Short-term help seems vital and necessary, but a lot of these kids need long-term therapy - something that isn't really within a University's mission.
                            I think the solution may be using resources like Skype therapy. I have a really good therapist. He is in Florida. I've never met in person. My wife has a really good therapist, she is in Washington. She has never met her therapist. We have more flexibility with times for therapy. Instead of it taking over an hour for a session (have to drive to the office/drive back) a 1-hour therapy session is an hour as we don't even have to leave the house. By the way, both therapists are LCSW's and mine has completed his Ph.D.

I wonder if some of the solution to this in smaller cities, or even larger cities, is for universities to contract with Skype therapists or even help students be aware of these options.
                            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

I think the solution may be using resources like Skype therapy. I have a really good therapist. He is in Florida. I've never met in person. My wife has a really good therapist, she is in Washington. She has never met her therapist. We have more flexibility with times for therapy. Instead of it taking over an hour for a session (have to drive to the office/drive back) a 1-hour therapy session is an hour as we don't even have to leave the house. By the way, both therapists are LCSW's and mine has completed his Ph.D.

I wonder if some of the solution to this in smaller cities, or even larger cities, is for universities to contract with Skype therapists or even help students be aware of these options.
                              sorry, not seeing it.

kidding! sheesh.
                              I'm like LeBron James.
                              -mpfunk

Comment

sorry, not seeing it.

kidding! sheesh.
                                How do you think that I was able to put aside my hatred of LeBron James? You clearly are just ignoring the progress made.
                                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Working...
                                X