Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Uh... do you mean James the Latter Day Saint?
    His publicist prefers James the Member of the Restored Church of Jesus Christ
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
      James the MOTCOJCOLDS.

Branding decisions for large organizations take decades to implement. We had just started a "Mormon" branding effort 10-20 years ago that has been reasonably successful. I know this doesn't really matter. But I'm having a hard time thinking why this is a good idea. At some point the "God told me to do it" angle is going to lessen in effectiveness. I think we're about there.
      Come on. Has anyone claimed this is a revelation?
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Come on. Has anyone claimed this is a revelation?
        First sentence of the statement:

"The Lord has impressed upon my mind the importance of the name He has revealed for His Church, even The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

Comment

"The Lord has impressed upon my mind the importance of the name He has revealed for His Church, even The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

I think they should re-name the church The Reorganized Community of Christ.
          "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
          -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

So does that mean that every detail of the implementation is direct from God? I am surprised that bugs you.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

So does that mean that every detail of the implementation is direct from God? I am surprised that bugs you.
              I've noticed how one member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will have different interpretations of statements of leaders of of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints than the other member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
              As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
              --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                I've noticed how one member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will have different interpretations of statements of leaders of of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints than the other member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
                It is almost like people are individuals or something!

Comment

Yeah I know, me too. I get brain lock sometimes. This one is just really irritating me.

Comment

James the MOTCOJCOLDS.

Branding decisions for large organizations take decades to implement. We had just started a "Mormon" branding effort 10-20 years ago that has been reasonably successful. I know this doesn't really matter. But I'm having a hard time thinking why this is a good idea.
                    I agree with your above sentiment completely. And while the rebranding technically began in 2010, it really began in earnest in late 2011, when the "I'm a Mormon" stuff started launching beyond a select few markets. Which is interesting, because I distinctly remember rolling my eyes at an M. Russell Ballard talk in 2011, when, while the Church was in the midst of this rebranding effort, he gave a talk about how we shouldn't call ourselves Mormons. So here we are, less than 7 years after a full-fledged embrace by the Church of the name Mormon, now supposed to pretend like we didn't mean it? Ridiculous. Just like George Costanza doesn't get to pick his nickname, we don't get to pick ours.

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                    I seem to recall a campaign a few years (several years?) back that was basically the same thing about no longer using "mormon" and referring to the full name of the church. It didn't really last long.

See M. Russell Balllard talk referenced above. Talk given right smack in the middle of the "I'm a Mormon" campaign. Makes sense, right?

https://www.lds.org/general-conferen...-name?lang=eng
                    Last edited by Donuthole; 08-17-2018, 08:59 AM.
                    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• I agree that this is likely a futile effort.

Comment

• who cares? People will continue to call members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Mormons, and most Mormons won't care. Those who do care will make Mormons seem strange, but not any stranger than they already are. I say Mormons are strange knowing full well I can't escape my own strangeness due to my upbringing, yea even embracing my strangeness bestowed upon me by my people.
                        Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                          His publicist prefers James the Member of the Restored Church of Jesus Christ
                          Probably should just change it to James the Member and nix the rest

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                            Probably should just change it to James the Member and nix the rest
                            James the Organ? James the Unit? James the Junk?
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• go with Member because he can keep JTM

Comment

The revelation was in the D&C, which is linked through the church's statement, where God DID reveal the name of the church. All the Prophet here is saying is that he has been impressed with the importance of that earlier revelation.

In looking at the style guide, I don't see too much that should be a problem except for the request not to call members Mormons and to not refer to Mormonism. It's fine to ask that the chiurch's actual name be used when referring to the church, but I think the use of the terms "mormon" and :"mormonism" are so efficient and entrenched (its not only a nickname chosen for us, it is the nickname we chose to use) that I cant see the reference disappearing. But nothing in either the statement or the guide says this is a revelation. To the contrary, it distinguishes the revelation, which is in the D&C, from the statement, which is an impression.
                                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
                                X