No announcement yet.

Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He was super weird. I remember a couple posts in particular. One was when he said he told God he'd do anything commanded of him to do except kill his child. Seemed a rather odd expression of faith. The other was when someone (CJF?) stayed at his apt in NYC but Adam required him to show a TR before letting him in. It seems like church members who leave the church find themselves occupying a similar space on both sides of the faith spectrum.

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
      He was super weird. I remember a couple posts in particular. One was when he said he told God he'd do anything commanded of him to do except kill his child. Seemed a rather odd expression of faith. The other was when someone (CJF?) stayed at his apt in NYC but Adam required him to show a TR before letting him in. It seems like church members who leave the church find themselves occupying a similar space on both sides of the faith spectrum.
      You are right. I was just thinking how weird Adam and funk both are. Funny stuff.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• JERUSALEM – A CITY OF MUSIC AND MASQUES

Another uniquely Jerusalem musical experience can be enjoyed on Sunday evenings at the Brigham Young University on the Mount of Olives, where locals and visitors attend free classical, jazz and folk music concerts. These one-hour concerts are held in the impressive wood- and glass-fronted auditorium with its breathtaking views of the Old City. Celebrated artists perform there, including soloists from the Israel Philharmonic and Jerusalem Symphony Orchestras. At the end of each concert, those attending are invited to give a voluntary cash donation to the performers. In summer it is always a good idea to arrive early, take in the view and explore the stunning landscaped gardens.
        Awesome venue, a real jewel. We can all be very proud.
        Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• ‘Mormon’ No More: Faithful Reflect on Church’s Move to Scrap a Moniker

For the Latter-day Saints faithful, a shift away from a longtime name has meant lighthearted screw-ups, logistical complications and reflections on identity.
          https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/29/u...me-change.html

Comment

• While I am happy some ex-mos hate this change, that’s not enough for me to change my position that this is an unmitigated cluster.
            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
              While I am happy some ex-mos hate this change, that’s not enough for me to change my position that this is an unmitigated cluster.
              Careful. The road to apostasy usually starts with an obsession with a trivial church policy!
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

Comment

While I am happy some ex-mos hate this change, that’s not enough for me to change my position that this is an unmitigated cluster.
                When Alma Loveland of Springville, Utah, heard the announcement last summer, her workday was “wrecked.” To be Mormon had long been her cultural identity, she said, even though she stopped practicing the faith three years ago and now calls herself an ex-Mormon or former Mormon.
                "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

While I won’t go as far as you, I do think it has been a mess and an unnecessary one. It’s impact on me is somewhat trivial as I still use Mormon with my non-Mormon coworkers.
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                    Careful. The road to apostasy usually starts with an obsession with a trivial church policy!
                    *D-hole mounts his hobby horse.*
                    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• I did a home ministering/teaching visit last night to a sweet 80+ old couple. This isn't a humble brag thing. It's my first visit in six months, and I was kind of forced into it.

The most challenging part of this man's life right now is that he had about 30 web link shortcuts set up on his desktop which are all broken after the church changed the website from lds to churchofjesuschrist. He had me look at it to see if I could fix it, when I told him my job was computer related, but I just couldn't force myself to do it. His son's going to come over to handle the job.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                        While I won’t go as far as you, I do think it has been a mess and an unnecessary one. It’s impact on me is somewhat trivial as I still use Mormon with my non-Mormon coworkers.
                        I would go further than dhole on this. I hate this change.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                          I did a home ministering/teaching visit last night to a sweet 80+ old couple. This isn't a humble brag thing. It's my first visit in six months, and I was kind of forced into it.

The most challenging part of this man's life right now is that he had about 30 web link shortcuts set up on his desktop which are all broken after the church changed the website from lds to churchofjesuschrist. He had me look at it to see if I could fix it, when I told him my job was computer related, but I just couldn't force myself to do it. His son's going to come over to handle the job.
                          Of course you shouldn't brag, you didn't even help the poor guy. How long would it have taken, like 20 minutes?

This is why I never minister, then I never have to do anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                            Of course you shouldn't brag, you didn't even help the poor guy. How long would it have taken, like 20 minutes?

This is why I never minister, then I never have to do anything.
                            Truly inspiring.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• For I was flummoxed by the computer, ye told me to ask someone else for ye would not be inconvenienced of ten minutes. Verily I say unto you, Santos is a lazy bastard.

Comment

• https://www.ksl.com/article/46585870...ns-charges-say

Elder Gilbert the MP wants to talk to you.

Comment

Working...
                                X