Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
    I hope Prince wins. Parking enforcement does suck.
    Parking and its enforcement at BYU have always sucked as far back as the mid to late 70s. Before that, I cannot comment, perhaps 71 may elaborate. I hope he wins enough to retire on.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• I'm guessing this one is going to hit the news cycle eventually.
      https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...dentities.html
      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
        I'm guessing this one is going to hit the news cycle eventually.
        I just skimmed it, but it seems like a fairly innocuous concept. Am I missing something?
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Whats wrong with that?
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            I just skimmed it, but it seems like a fairly innocuous concept. Am I missing something?
            Originally posted by creekster View Post
            Whats wrong with that?
            He just said it'll hit the news cycle. That doesn't mean anything has to be wrong with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
              He just said it'll hit the news cycle. That doesn't mean anything has to be wrong with it.
              seriously. lol @ Lebowski and creekster!
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                Good point. Funk has a long track record of simply passing on interesting news about the church without any negative commentary.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Good point. Funk has a long track record of simply passing on interesting news about the church without any negative commentary.
                  I think comparing chosen religious beliefs to qualities that someone is born with (race, gender identity, sexual orientation, etc.) is a terrible comparison. He is basically trying to create a narrative them someone is born with religious beliefs which is absurd.

Also, the crying of persecution is equally absurd. The church has not been discriminated against in modern times. In contrast, in the lifetime of most people in this board the LDS has discriminated against people based on race. The LDS church is currently discriminating against people based on sexual orientation and gender identity.

The church fiercely fought against homosexuals having the right to marry. They have advocated for discrimination. When they lose the battle, they turn around and ask to be given the same protections as historically discriminated classes. Yeah, I do see many problems with what Clayton is arguing.
                  --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

I agree with Clayton that religious identity deserves the same protections. Thankfully that is codified in the Constitution, so I’m not so sure why he’s worried about it or even saying it.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• I've been discriminated and the victim of hate because of my religion before. Many times actually. The only thing it did was help me develop my inner sanctimony, bolstering my position of spiritual and intellectual superiority.

If I was as smart as Lebowski I'd be a real jerk too.
                      Last edited by clackamascoug; 06-21-2018, 09:52 AM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                      -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                        I've been discriminated and the victim of hate because of my religion before. Many times actually. The only thing it did was help me develop my inner sanctimony, bolstering my positing of spiritual and intellectual superiority.

If I was as smart as Lebowski I'd be a real jerk too.
                        Clack, I got a legit LOL on your gray text. Well done.

Comment

Clack, I got a legit LOL on your gray text. Well done.
                          It was said in love.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                          -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

I think comparing chosen religious beliefs to qualities that someone is born with (race, gender identity, sexual orientation, etc.) is a terrible comparison. He is basically trying to create a narrative them someone is born with religious beliefs which is absurd.

Also, the crying of persecution is equally absurd. The church has not been discriminated against in modern times. In contrast, in the lifetime of most people in this board the LDS has discriminated against people based on race. The LDS church is currently discriminating against people based on sexual orientation and gender identity.

The church fiercely fought against homosexuals having the right to marry. They have advocated for discrimination. When they lose the battle, they turn around and ask to be given the same protections as historically discriminated classes. Yeah, I do see many problems with what Clayton is arguing.
                            The various groups he identifies may or may not be something someone is born with. Gender fluidity anyone? And yet the effort to elevate protections for these groups/identities places them above other similarly chosen identities. If you are going to allow people to claim protected status based on how they feel about generd or sexuality, whether it be from birth or more recently, then you should also allow religion to be among those protected states, particularly where the constitution already expressly guarantees the practice of religion.
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

wait, if i'm born as a boy, but I identify as a girl at what point is it a choice or not a choice?
                              I'm like LeBron James.
                              -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                                The various groups he identifies may or may not be something someone is born with. Gender fluidity anyone? And yet the effort to elevate protections for these groups/identities places them above other similarly chosen identities. If you are going to allow people to claim protected status based on how they feel about generd or sexuality, whether it be from birth or more recently, then you should also allow religion to be among those protected states, particularly where the constitution already expressly guarantees the practice of religion.
                                Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                                wait, if i'm born as a boy, but I identify as a girl at what point is it a choice or not a choice?
                                Okay, let's go ahead and just remove gender identity out of the mix. We should all be able to agree that sexuality isn't a decision. Race isn't a decision. Religion is a decision.

Also, in our country Christians have not historically been discriminated against. There is a long history of discrimination based on race and sexuality, including by the LDS church. So, comparing someone choosing a religion to sexuality and race is a bad analogy and it rings hollow coming from a organization that has discriminated on the basis of race and sexuality. I don't see anyone trying to prohibit someone form marrying because he or she chooses to be Mormon.
                                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Working...
                                X