X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
    TabCATS
    sounds like a bowling team
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Come on. Has anyone claimed this is a revelation?
      Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
      Dr. Prophet Russell Nelson is an amazing, wonderful man but anybody who thinks the Creator of the Universe told him we shouldn’t call ourselves Mormons is completely nuts and living in an insane fantasy world.

Sorry, just trying to help.
      I read some of Nelson’s GC address today. Maybe we should revisit this argument.
      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
      - SeattleUte

Comment

• I agreed to watch an hour of conference. I don't know how you guys do it. My eyeballs are still sore from rolling. The faith of my fathers has gone from quaint to kooky.
        "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• eh, the claim is that it's his church, thus calling it by his name makes sense.
          I'm like LeBron James.
          -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
            eh, the claim is that it's his church, thus calling it by his name makes sense.
            not when they spent millions over the last few years calling members mormons

Comment

• Originally posted by Maximus View Post
              their millions - if it succeeds, good for them. if it fails, it's their problem.
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                their millions - if it succeeds, good for them. if it fails, it's their problem.
                Uh, His millions.
                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                  Uh, His millions.
                  touche'
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                    "God told me" just doesn't fly as a logical reason unless you can answer a lot of other questions along with it like: What were you doing the last 20 years on this and why? Why isn't God speaking to you about all these other questions that seem a lot more important which you have no answer for?"

The silver lining of this is that fundamentalism is the worse part of our church (and religion in general). ie "God told me". Moving away from that or at least reinterpreting what it means when a prophet says "God told me" would be a really important step for the church. RMN is turning the phrase "God told me" into something like "I sorta feel like this is the right thing to do." And that's not a bad move for the church. So, maybe this is unintentionally a good thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Lord
                      4 For thus shall my church be called in the last days, even The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
                      There are so many questions that come up when the Lord speaks in passive voice. Here, we have a statement that says His church shall by called a specific name, but doesn't identify the subject - who is doing the calling. Even more problematic, the verse includes an ambiguous "shall." "Shall" can be used to mean "must" in a mandatory sense," but it's also commonly used in a declarative sense.

So, what is the Lord saying here? Is he simply saying "The name of the church is ___" or is it a commandment to all to require them to call the church by that name? Do we sin if we call ourselves Mormon? Do past prophets need to repent for using "Mormon" as a reference to the church or the people? Is the rest of the world condemned to a lower degree of glory if they call it "the Mormon Church"? Is our adherence to the Style Guide the final test of whether we'll inherit the highest echelon of Celestial Glory?

I just don't see anything in the scriptures that indicates that Christ is offended by any of it. It was eight years after the establishment of the church that Joseph received the revelation setting forth the formal name. Seems that if it was that important, it would have been put in D&C 20, instead of simply referring to it as "the Church of Christ."
                      Last edited by LVAllen; 10-08-2018, 09:01 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                        "God told me" just doesn't fly as a logical reason unless you can answer a lot of other questions along with it like: What were you doing the last 20 years on this and why? Why isn't God speaking to you about all these other questions that seem a lot more important which you have no answer for?"

The silver lining of this is that fundamentalism is the worse part of our church (and religion in general). ie "God told me". Moving away from that or at least reinterpreting what it means when a prophet says "God told me" would be a really important step for the church. RMN is turning the phrase "God told me" into something like "I sorta feel like this is the right thing to do." And that's not a bad move for the church. So, maybe this is unintentionally a good thing.
                        This is an odd fixation you have.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• i agree with santos. sorry, santos.
                          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Maybe his impressions are wrong. Maybe he is adding a spin ("satan is pleased when...") that goes beyond the mark of what God intended. Maybe God can do whatever the hell he wants and it doesn't have to make sense to you and me.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Maybe in 20 years we’ll be back to using the term Mormon, maybe not. I don’t care and I doubt god cares. But RMN cares and living prophets are more important than dead prophets so

RMN also gave us two hour church, so he can do whatever he wants, IMO.
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

RMN also gave us two hour church, so he can do whatever he wants, IMO.
                                I'm like LeBron James.
                                -mpfunk

Comment

Working...
                                X