Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
    As a fellow latter-day saint, I am not appalled that the Bish reported him. Seriously, who would be appalled?
    I am also not appalled. In fact, I'm quite happy the Bishop turned the dude in.

That bit about many members being "appalled" came from Plaintiff's lawyer, so it's probably a bunch of bull.

Comment

• yeah, no sane person is appalled.
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
        I haven't looked into the pleadings, but they might be alleging that some church representative, like a bishop or counselors, made negligent or fraudulent misrepresentations about what would happen to the guy if he confessed.

EIther way it is a horrible case to take. I am very willing to represent a lot of people. I represented some very questionable folks back in my public defender days, and have represented all sorts of evil corporations, but I would not take this case. From a Biz perspective, to address Art's question, this sort of case is a point of separation for a plaintiff's shop in an oversaturated field. They are trying to build or maintain a reputation here. (Note: I don't think this is a good idea on this case, but that is what I assume they are thinking).

I also think the church will not settle and will welcome the publicity from this suit, as well as look forward to the closing argument. But bear in mind the issues at trial are likely going to focus on the training received by lay leaders in dealing with penitents, and not the specific facts of the abuse.
        I agree with the Plaintiff's focus but as long as the evidence of the abuse is presented, I can't any normal jury feeling sympathetic.

Hi, we wouldn't have disclosed this crime had we known it would have been reported, but instead would have allowed and facilitated his criminal sexual abuse. Gotcha.
        "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
          I agree with the Plaintiff's focus but as long as the evidence of the abuse is presented, I can't any normal jury feeling sympathetic.

Hi, we wouldn't have disclosed this crime had we known it would have been reported, but instead would have allowed and facilitated his criminal sexual abuse. Gotcha.
          You agree with the plaintiff's focus? WTF, dude.

Comment

• Originally posted by imanihonjin View Post
            He must be one of those appalled members the attorney referenced.
            "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
            "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
            This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
            "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
            "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Originally posted by imanihonjin View Post
              I was agreeing with creekster's analysis of the plaintiff's focus. I was typing on my phone and worded it poorly. I think it is a bullshit lawsuit and posted it in non-Mormon discussion group which received it universally as a bullshit case.
              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• These Mormon twins worked together on an IRS whistleblower complaint over the church’s billions — and it tore them apart

“We children were told that our family line had this divine mission to propagate the kind of truths mainstream Mormons didn’t hold,” Lars said.
                huh?

The brothers titled their work “Letter to an IRS Director,” in homage to an earlier Mormon objector’s treatise.

“We were on fire! We were going to liberate the world!” said Lars.

The possibility of having an impact thrilled Lars. All the years of reformers blogging, pushing, getting excommunicated — none of it had had a lasting impact, he said.

“Nothing happens,” he said.

Mormons might be liberated, Lars thought, if the brothers’ document could be as resonant as the widely shared 2013 “Letter to a CES Director,” which demanded that the church’s educational system be more transparent about church history.

The brothers did not file the complaint “to be spiteful,” Lars said.

“I wanted to point out hypocrisies, yes,” he said, “but so Mormons will have the facts and can say: ‘Am I really free to evaluate facts on my own? Am I powerful enough to make up my own mind?’ ”

The problem with thinking one is the smartest person in the room is that one never is.

Lars has put his brother in a world of hurt. And after all this, the outcome?

“Nothing happens”
                Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Yikes.

Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                    Not a lot of info on the intruder. There's a better than even chance he's connected with the church in some way.

In 1995 two sister missionaries in Guatemala were kidnapped and held for ransom from the church. The church didn't pay the ransom but the sisters were eventually able to get away and the kidnappers (both RM's) were arrested.

Comment

• Of course the church wn,t pay ransom. I remember when those missionaries were kidnapped in Russia some people thought you better pay ransom. It was traumatic what they went through but if someone paid ransom it would make things a lot worse for everyone,

Comment

• Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the News

Deseret news counters.

https://www.deseret.com/faith/2020/2...7aZqCDgaQkyylM

Among other things, the church claims to give nearly $1 billion annually in welfare and humanitarian aid.
                        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• https://www.azfamily.com/lori-vallow...TWPEFRgndFJ0KI

Glad she’s in custody. That mugshot. Damn.
                          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
                            Deseret news counters.

https://www.deseret.com/faith/2020/2...7aZqCDgaQkyylM

Among other things, the church claims to give nearly $1 billion annually in welfare and humanitarian aid.
                            I’ve consistently read that humanitarian aid is in the tens of millions per year (40-60). A 20x jump likely means they’ve just reclassified Church education costs. Seems disingenuous.
                            Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                              I’ve consistently read that humanitarian aid is in the tens of millions per year (40-60). A 20x jump likely means they’ve just reclassified Church education costs. Seems disingenuous.
                              Disingenuous based on what? Your cynicism?

No way was it tens of millions.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                                https://www.azfamily.com/lori-vallow...TWPEFRgndFJ0KI

Glad she’s in custody. That mugshot. Damn.
                                lori vallow should stay in jail until she produces her kids alive and well.
                                I'm like LeBron James.
                                -mpfunk

Comment

Working...
                                X