No announcement yet.

Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bump. This Mo in the news for all the wrong reasons. Sadly, KSL buries the lead a bit by leaving out the fact that the guy was an LDS bishop (!) at the time he was arrested.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46495111...titution-sting

The other news channels don't miss their chance to pounce, however:

https://kutv.com/news/local/man-arre...-as-lds-bishop

I want to believe that the church just couldn't have known this guy should not be a priesthood key holder, as is the case many times when church leaders go rogue. But I think you can make a pretty good argument that wasn't the case here:
    2News learned that back in 2012, Moss was asked to resign from the St. George City Police Department. He was in the position of lieutenant with supervisory power over various units, including members of the gang and vice squads. He had been employed with the department for 15 years prior to allegations that he had engaged in consensual relationships with at least one or two women, at least one of whom was his subordinate. The disciplinary action in asking him to resign was based on the fact that he was on duty or had an active duty component when engaging in those relationships.
    I'm a proponent of a 1-strike-and-you're-out-of-all-future-church-leadership-callings policy. Perhaps that exists and I'm just not aware of it. So for now, I"ll go ahead and assume that he was somehow able to keep the gory details from his SGPD departure under wraps. That said, as someone who grew up there and knows just how small a town St. George is, I find it difficult to believe that his church leaders didn't find out about that stuff back then.
    Last edited by Donuthole; 02-21-2019, 10:31 AM.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• That is a crazy case. I can't imagine being in that ward. Going to be a fun sunday this week.

I am guessing that nobody knew about the St George stuff, even his family. Hard to believe his wife would not know, but it could happen. Unfortunately no way the church to know unless he brought it up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
        Bump. This Mo in the news for all the wrong reasons. Sadly, KSL buries the lead a bit by leaving out the fact that the guy was an LDS bishop (!) at the time he was arrested.

I want to believe that the church just couldn't have known this guy should not be a priesthood key holder, as is the case many times when church leaders go rogue. But I think you can make a pretty good argument that wasn't the case here:

I'm a proponent of a 1-strike-and-you're-out-of-all-future-church-leadership-callings policy. Perhaps that exists and I'm just not aware of it. So for now, I"ll go ahead and assume that he was somehow able to keep the gory details from his SGPD departure under wraps. That said, as someone who grew up there and knows just how small a town St. George is, I find it difficult to believe that his church leaders didn't find out about that stuff back then.
        Such a crazy story. Yeah, there is no way they knew about the St. George stuff. What an awful human being.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Such a crazy story. Yeah, there is no way they knew about the St. George stuff. What an awful human being.
          Why do you say there is no way they knew about the St. George stuff? I'm not saying they knew, but they could have known and still called him. Did we learn nothing from the Joseph Bishop thing?

Whether or not they knew, this is why the policies with the church didn't change enough with regard to worthiness interviews with children. You can never really know what type of past people are hiding.
          As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Not only that but it looks like he is currently unemployed and has bounced around jobs quite a bit since St George, not typical for most bishops. This guy must have been really good at hiding stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
              Why do you say there is no way they knew about the St. George stuff? I'm not saying they knew, but they could have known and still called him. Did we learn nothing from the Joseph Bishop thing?

Whether or not they knew, this is why the policies with the church didn't change enough with regard to worthiness interviews with children. You can never really know what type of past people are hiding.
              Marty -- we get it! You hate the Church. But I'm having a hard time following this logic. You're not saying that the Church knew, but they still called him. And then that you never really know people's past, and that we should have learned from Joseph Bishop? Joseph Bishop is a guy who used his authority to abuse women. This other guy is compartmentalizing his religion from his seedy underbelly. Are those the same? Are you saying that he used his Bishop powers to take advantage of prostitutes? And what in the name of Sam Hill does this have to do with Church policy on worthiness interviews with children? What exactly is the lesson? Don't have a Pimp-Bishop interview children, even though you don't know he's a pimp when you called him, and also Joseph Bishop. Oh! And church policy about interviewing children for worthiness created a situation in which a Bishop would become a pimp.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                Bump. This Mo in the news for all the wrong reasons. Sadly, KSL buries the lead a bit by leaving out the fact that the guy was an LDS bishop (!) at the time he was arrested.

"Moss then stated he was looking for girls to let him be their manager. He stated he has done this sort of thing in the past and he has a system that is 'cutting edge' and avoids people getting caught," according to the report
                Guess his cutting edge system didn't including asking the women if they were undercover cops (b/c legally they'd have to answer truthfully).
                "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                  Guess his cutting edge system didn't including asking the women if they were undercover cops (b/c legally they'd have to answer truthfully).
                  You would think a former cop would know that
                  "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Cosmo takes the mask off, and comes out of the closet:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-lgbt-gay.html

Kudos to Des News for giving his this forum. The comments are interesting. At least one former Cosmo mascot replied, who is also gay. But of course, there's also a sprinkling of pretty ignorant comments.
                    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                      Cosmo takes the mask off, and comes out of the closet:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-lgbt-gay.html

Kudos to Des News for giving his this forum. The comments are interesting. At least one former Cosmo mascot replied, who is also gay. But of course, there's also a sprinkling of pretty ignorant comments.
                      Ute fans have been telling us for ages that Cosmo is gay. I guess they were right.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Ute fans have been telling us for ages that Cosmo is gay. I guess they were right.
                        1. great at dancing
                        2. all the Cougarettes are totally comfortable around him

Pretty obvious.

Comment

• BYU police department decertified.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...decertify-byu/
                          As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                            I thought it was a letter of intent to decertify.

Comment

• I will always cheer for BYU athletics, but I absolutely despise the university.
                              "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• I've always thought it was weird a private entity could have its own police force.

Comment

Working...
                                X