Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it OK to kill cyclists?

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I like daylight savings time as it provides more light at night. In fact, I think it should be made permanent.
    It sucks for morning golf though.

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I like daylight savings time as it provides more light at night. In fact, I think it should be made permanent.
    Quote Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
    For the record, I am pro Daylight Saving Time year-round.
    I'm in. Where do we sign up?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...-time/hR4Cc56B

Only 99,992 signatures to go.

Sorry, PAC. Looks like this young aussie thinks the answer to your thread query is yes.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...ml?cps=gravity

Poor Kimberley Davis.The 21-year-old Australian woman was livid when she slammed into a bicyclist while texting late last year, putting dents in her car. The victim suffered a spinal fracture and would spend the next three months in a hospital, but Davis wasn't having any of it, The Standard reports.
    "I just don’t care because I’ve already been through a lot of bullshit and my car is, like, pretty expensive and now I have to fix it," she told a responding officer two days after the Sept. 20 collision. "I’m kind of pissed off that the cyclist has hit the side of my car. I don’t agree that people texting and driving could hit a cyclist. I wasn’t on my phone when I hit the cyclist."
    Davis, of Port Fairy, pleaded guilty on Monday to dangerous driving and was fined $4,500. Police say she used her phone behind the wheel 44 times before running down the cyclist. She called emergency responders but parked more than 300 feet away from the victim and refused to offer him help.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Sorry, PAC. Looks like this young aussie thinks the answer to your thread query is yes.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...ml?cps=gravity

only if the cyclist scratches your car.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

She'd make a good Kardashian.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Arizona.

Quote Originally Posted by CJF View Post
    Arizona.
    Isn't that for no daylight savings time at all? That's the opposite of my preference.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Revenge! Though not cool, a Marin cyclist in a fit of road rage beat the crap out of a driver who allegedly clipped him. Despite the serious injuries, I'm amused that the onlookers, spineless do-gooders, attempted to stop the guy by shouting and honking their horns. More profiles in courage.

http://www.sfgate.com/default/articl...ad-5429625.php

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Revenge! Though not cool, a Marin cyclist in a fit of road rage beat the crap out of a driver who allegedly clipped him. Despite the serious injuries, I'm amused that the onlookers, spineless do-gooders, attempted to stop the guy by shouting and honking their horns. More profiles in courage.

http://www.sfgate.com/default/articl...ad-5429625.php
    I think it's clear to see how a cyclist could put someone in the hospital. I never tire of seeing this little clip.

I was visiting with a neighbor about cycling the other day, when he described something that had happened to him. He was driving over Trapper's Loop (a fairly wide highway with 2 lanes each direction that climbs over the hills between Morgan and Ogden valleys, for those who don't know it) hauling a boat. He said he came around a corner and there was a group of cyclists riding up the mountain 2 abreast. They were into his lane, so he had to slow in order to change lanes as there was a vehicle in the lane next to him at the time.

None of this is new or astonishing, but his response gave me pause. He mentioned that there were signs all up and down the road that had the graphic of a bicycle and said "share the road". So when he came upon these cyclists, which caused him to brake and change lanes, his humorous response was "Hey! What happened to share the road?!? Don't you guys read the signs?"

For whatever reason he wasn't able to grasp the concept that "sharing" the road doesn't mean get out of the way so that he can have the road to himself. Until folks like him move beyond a 4 year-old's understanding of sharing, I'm afraid there will be drivers killing cyclists.

Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar

I wanted to kill a cyclist the other day. In fact, I'd say I get that feeling quite often.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Here in the South the mayor gives certificates of merit every time you nail a bicyclist. As a matter of fact on the East Carolina University application they ask how many certificates you have received.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkGrace View Post
    I wanted to kill a cyclist the other day. In fact, I'd say I get that feeling quite often.
    Don't kill yourself, MG! You have so much to live for!
    - Goatnapper'96

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

USA Today's editorial page includes a piece entitled "Motorists and cyclists can learn to be friends", consisting of brief comments on the issue by readers . I was struck (!) by one comment in particular:
    The majority of bikers seem to feel that traffic laws don't apply to them. They move right through red lights and stop signs. If they feel that way, I don't owe them any respect on the road.
    The author: John M. Haddow. It's a stupid statement for a variety of reasons. The initial premise is false; certainly a majority of cyclists know the traffic rules apply. And while many run stop signs (although slowing down a bit), very few run red lights. And what does it mean that he owes cyclists any respect? Is he declaring open season?

I suspect the majority of freeway drivers exceed the speed limit, and I rarely see drivers at stop signs come to a complete halt, rolling slowly a bit before picking up speed again. Does he claim a corresponding lack of respect for most drivers? A driver behind the wheel of a multi-ton vehicle is far more dangerous to one's health than a cyclist on a twenty-pound bike. This doesn't excuse a cyclist's disregard of stop signs or stop lights, but the misplaced outrage toward cyclists continues to puzzle me.

That shit pisses me off to no end and I see it all the time. I don't see them move right through red lights, but they treat them like stop signs all. the. time. So friggin' annoying.

That shit pisses me off to no end and I see it all the time. I don't see them move right through red lights, but they treat them like stop signs all. the. time. So friggin' annoying.
    Is it that different from a pedestrian crossing at a red light? What is so annoying about a cyclist moving through an intersection if it is clear?

http://youtu.be/zBFFrsvgu1Y
    When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Here's the thing. If they don't run that red light, then instead they're in front of you in the middle of the lane (their right, and probably the safest place for them to be). Which means you get to wait behind them while they clip in and get going from a stop. And then you mr haddow will be writing letters to the editor bitching about cyclists hogging the road and slowing everyone down.

PACs right that the vast majority of cyclists follow traffic laws and in the rare occasion that we don't, it's in the interest of not holding up the flow of traffic. It doesn't take much imagination to see that side of things.

PACs right that the vast majority of
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Quote Originally Posted by BrutusBuckeye View Post
    Is it that different from a pedestrian crossing at a red light? What is so annoying about a cyclist moving through an intersection if it is clear?

http://youtu.be/zBFFrsvgu1Y
    The intermediate between humans and pure energy. lol.

The annoying thing is they're presumably acting like cars, yet think they have a special privilege. All the rest of the cars have to wait at the red light, so should their dumb asses. If they want to go through like a pedestrian, fine, but take that shit to the sidewalk.

Quote Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
    Here's the thing. If they don't run that red light, then instead they're in front of you in the middle of the lane (their right, and probably the safest place for them to be). Which means you get to wait behind them while they clip in and get going from a stop. And then you mr haddow will be writing letters to the editor bitching about cyclists hogging the road and slowing everyone down.

PACs right that the vast majority of cyclists follow traffic laws and in the rare occasion that we don't, it's in the interest of not holding up the flow of traffic. It doesn't take much imagination to see that side of things.

PACs right that the vast majority of
    Takes about all of ten seconds for that gap to close and them to be holding up traffic again.

I don't know why everyone loves Gracie. He can be a real jerk sometimes!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Takes about all of ten seconds for that gap to close and them to be holding up traffic again.
    How much delay did their running that intersection with no cars cause you? And yet....
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I don't know why everyone loves Gracie. He can be a real jerk sometimes!
    Liar. I'm never a jerk. you can be 100% lovable and realize cyclists are as annoying as shit.

Quote Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
    How much delay did their running that intersection with no cars cause you? And yet....
    I feel much better about them getting to disregard traffic laws for that 10 second cushion.

Are you ok with being held up in traffic as long as the bikers follow traffic laws as a vehicle would? Or would the argument then change to bikers are bad because they hold up traffic? How would you like bikers to behave so as not to annoy you?
    When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Default Is it OK to kill cyclists?

MG is killing it here. Solid work. Makes him even more lovable to me.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by BrutusBuckeye View Post
    Are you ok with being held up in traffic as long as the bikers follow traffic laws as a vehicle would? Or would the argument then change to bikers are bad because they hold up traffic? How would you like bikers to behave so as not to annoy you?
    They're always going to be annoying no matter what, so I would prefer that they follow effing traffic rules like the rest of us while being annoying. I swear I want to throw sit at their dumb asses every time I see them ride right through an intersection when the light is red.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Agreed, taking on posters' sacred faith in a way that soonercoug could never pull off.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    I rest my case!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster