No announcement yet.

Is it OK to kill cyclists?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USA Today's editorial page includes a piece entitled "Motorists and cyclists can learn to be friends", consisting of brief comments on the issue by readers . I was struck (!) by one comment in particular:
    The majority of bikers seem to feel that traffic laws don't apply to them. They move right through red lights and stop signs. If they feel that way, I don't owe them any respect on the road.
    The author: John M. Haddow. It's a stupid statement for a variety of reasons. The initial premise is false; certainly a majority of cyclists know the traffic rules apply. And while many run stop signs (although slowing down a bit), very few run red lights. And what does it mean that he owes cyclists any respect? Is he declaring open season?

I suspect the majority of freeway drivers exceed the speed limit, and I rarely see drivers at stop signs come to a complete halt, rolling slowly a bit before picking up speed again. Does he claim a corresponding lack of respect for most drivers? A driver behind the wheel of a multi-ton vehicle is far more dangerous to one's health than a cyclist on a twenty-pound bike. This doesn't excuse a cyclist's disregard of stop signs or stop lights, but the misplaced outrage toward cyclists continues to puzzle me.

Comment

That shit pisses me off to no end and I see it all the time. I don't see them move right through red lights, but they treat them like stop signs all. the. time. So friggin' annoying.
      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
        That shit pisses me off to no end and I see it all the time. I don't see them move right through red lights, but they treat them like stop signs all. the. time. So friggin' annoying.
        Is it that different from a pedestrian crossing at a red light? What is so annoying about a cyclist moving through an intersection if it is clear?

http://youtu.be/zBFFrsvgu1Y
        When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Comment

Here's the thing. If they don't run that red light, then instead they're in front of you in the middle of the lane (their right, and probably the safest place for them to be). Which means you get to wait behind them while they clip in and get going from a stop. And then you mr haddow will be writing letters to the editor bitching about cyclists hogging the road and slowing everyone down.

PACs right that the vast majority of cyclists follow traffic laws and in the rare occasion that we don't, it's in the interest of not holding up the flow of traffic. It doesn't take much imagination to see that side of things.

PACs right that the vast majority of
          At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
          -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by BrutusBuckeye View Post
            Is it that different from a pedestrian crossing at a red light? What is so annoying about a cyclist moving through an intersection if it is clear?

http://youtu.be/zBFFrsvgu1Y
            The intermediate between humans and pure energy. lol.

The annoying thing is they're presumably acting like cars, yet think they have a special privilege. All the rest of the cars have to wait at the red light, so should their dumb asses. If they want to go through like a pedestrian, fine, but take that shit to the sidewalk.

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
              Here's the thing. If they don't run that red light, then instead they're in front of you in the middle of the lane (their right, and probably the safest place for them to be). Which means you get to wait behind them while they clip in and get going from a stop. And then you mr haddow will be writing letters to the editor bitching about cyclists hogging the road and slowing everyone down.

PACs right that the vast majority of cyclists follow traffic laws and in the rare occasion that we don't, it's in the interest of not holding up the flow of traffic. It doesn't take much imagination to see that side of things.

PACs right that the vast majority of
              Takes about all of ten seconds for that gap to close and them to be holding up traffic again.

Comment

I don't know why everyone loves Gracie. He can be a real jerk sometimes!
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Takes about all of ten seconds for that gap to close and them to be holding up traffic again.
                  How much delay did their running that intersection with no cars cause you? And yet....
                  At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                  -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    I don't know why everyone loves Gracie. He can be a real jerk sometimes!
                    Liar. I'm never a jerk. you can be 100% lovable and realize cyclists are as annoying as shit.

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                      How much delay did their running that intersection with no cars cause you? And yet....
                      I feel much better about them getting to disregard traffic laws for that 10 second cushion.

Comment

Are you ok with being held up in traffic as long as the bikers follow traffic laws as a vehicle would? Or would the argument then change to bikers are bad because they hold up traffic? How would you like bikers to behave so as not to annoy you?
                        When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Comment

Is it OK to kill cyclists?

MG is killing it here. Solid work. Makes him even more lovable to me.
                          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by BrutusBuckeye View Post
                            Are you ok with being held up in traffic as long as the bikers follow traffic laws as a vehicle would? Or would the argument then change to bikers are bad because they hold up traffic? How would you like bikers to behave so as not to annoy you?
                            They're always going to be annoying no matter what, so I would prefer that they follow effing traffic rules like the rest of us while being annoying. I swear I want to throw sit at their dumb asses every time I see them ride right through an intersection when the light is red.

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                              Agreed, taking on posters' sacred faith in a way that soonercoug could never pull off.

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                                I rest my case!
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X