Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Pinarello would be a sweet ride.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
      http://www.postregister.com/articles...lling-cyclist#

It may not be okay but apparently it's only worth 60 days in jail to kill one cyclist and paralyze another.
      I assume there must be some mitigating factors, but as reported this makes me angry.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• do we know why he was riding so close to the double yellow forcing cars entirely to the opposite direction lanes? is that normal? why not ride nearer the far right side of the road?
          I'm like LeBron James.
          -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
            do we know why he was riding so close to the double yellow forcing cars entirely to the opposite direction lanes? is that normal? why not ride nearer the far right side of the road?
            Cyclists can have the entire road if they want it is what cyclists tell me.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
              That's true, and there's no question the driver was at fault, but riding two across with the second near the center of the road is dickish.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                That's true, and there's no question the driver was at fault, but riding two across with the second near the center of the road is dickish.
                driver definitely at fault, should have stopped, but its refreshing to hear from a cyclist that is dickish behavior - and not normal.
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                  driver definitely at fault, should have stopped, but its refreshing to hear from a cyclist that is dickish behavior - and not normal.
                  I agree that taking up more space than you need is dickish. There are times when there is no shoulder - like a narrow overpass out in the sticks - and I'll purposefully ride in the middle of the lane for the few seconds it takes to cross because too many idiot drivers think there is room to pass even if there happens to be traffic coming the other direction. But for the most part - it makes the most sense to me for both drivers and cyclists to be considerate of each other. And I think that most are.

I've seen some riders who, when riding in the country, will take up more of their lane than the norm so long as there is no oncoming traffic and cars can easily go into the other lane to go around. But will get skinny fast if there is oncoming traffic so that drivers can continue to pass them using only their lane. In some ways - this looked like that. If there's no oncoming traffic and it doesn't impede him to go into the other lane and pass - what's the big deal? With the one caveat that if you can't see around corners - and this is wooded enough to make that a potential issue - then you've just got to give cars more space.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                    I agree that taking up more space than you need is dickish. There are times when there is no shoulder - like a narrow overpass out in the sticks - and I'll purposefully ride in the middle of the lane for the few seconds it takes to cross because too many idiot drivers think there is room to pass even if there happens to be traffic coming the other direction. But for the most part - it makes the most sense to me for both drivers and cyclists to be considerate of each other. And I think that most are.

I've seen some riders who, when riding in the country, will take up more of their lane than the norm so long as there is no oncoming traffic and cars can easily go into the other lane to go around. But will get skinny fast if there is oncoming traffic so that drivers can continue to pass them using only their lane. In some ways - this looked like that. If there's no oncoming traffic and it doesn't impede him to go into the other lane and pass - what's the big deal? With the one caveat that if you can't see around corners - and this is wooded enough to make that a potential issue - then you've just got to give cars more space.
                    The biggest indication that this is a place where cars can't or shouldn't easily go into the other lane is the double yellow line indicating a no passing zone. Still, no excuse for the car. The driver was definitely at fault.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                      The rule in my town is that the cyclist should ride as close to the shoulder as possible, however the cyclist can certainly be farther into the lane to avoid debris or construction. Riding two abreast is also fine, especially when you are in big groups.

My normal route usually has wide enough shoulders so that I don't have to ride in the lane very much, however there is one section under construction so I take ten lane for about a quarter mile. Most drivers are patient, but I've had one or two that ride up on me and honk or nearly hit me as the zoom pass also barely avoiding oncoming traffic in the other lane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• This was in a national park. There are signs stating that cyclists may take up the whole lane (because there is little to no shoulder), but there are also instructions to cyclists to ride single file and as far right as possible.

PAC is right, the cyclist, while not doing anything illegal, was being dickish. But it's still no excuse for the asshat driver to mow him down.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                          The biggest indication that this is a place where cars can't or shouldn't easily go into the other lane is the double yellow line indicating a no passing zone. Still, no excuse for the car. The driver was definitely at fault.
                          Yeah, I get that. But factors like speed limit and frequency of traffic play a role.

I ride some roads sometimes where I'll only have 2-3 cars pass me (either direction) for my entire hour of riding. There isn't much wooded area, so you tend to be able to see pretty far down the road, even when there are no passing zones.

I tend to move as far to the side as I can whenever I hear or see traffic coming. But some of those areas, where there is very little traffic to begin with, making space seems like less of a priority and drivers shouldn't be as irritated if the cyclist takes a little more of the road.

Comment

• The laws change from place to place. I'll have to look it up, but I remember reading that in Utah, your told to take the whole lane when a car can't safely pass you.

I like to ride with a mirror so I can watch traffic coming up on me. I like to ride farther out in the lane to increase visibility for me and whoever I'm riding with. Then as traffic gets closer I'll move over to a less obtrusive position.

Comment

• There's a longer clip that starts before the clip posted here. In the longer version, you hear a vehicle lay on the horn, presumably the white truck, since it would have the best view. Two seconds after the honking, the white truck passes with zero reaction from the cyclist. Then of course, the collision. So, yes. Dick move by the cyclist. Attempted murder by the driver.

There's some real crazy quotes by the guy in this article. https://patch.com/tennessee/franklin...n-caught-video

I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Definitely a dick move by the cyclist. A potentially life altering/damning move by the driver where he could have easily been charged with manslaughter if the crash ended up fatal.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X