Is it OK to kill cyclists?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
    This morning I was driving in the right lane on a 4-lane highway, with 2 lanes in each direction. Up above, I see a bicyclist riding in the middle of the road, and I know I cant sneak in next to him and share the lane- I will have to move over to the left lane. Which is ok to do because there is a car ahead and a car behind in the lane to my left, but there was no one abreast of me. I put my blinker on, and the car behind me sees my blinker and then speeds up to fill the gap. So now I cant go left, and I am going to hit the cyclist, so I jam on my breaks and honk my horn at the dick who left me no room to move. In response, the cyclist turns around and flips me off.
    First off, despite the miscommunications cation, thank you Katy for sacrificing a bit of brake light as for the safety of a cyclist. You probably bought them another 10 minutes of life.

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
    Milt one of my former attorneys was killed while riding, by a cop using a computer while driving. Glad to see that the County of LA was finally held liable and the family could recompense their financial loss as well. Milt was one in a million, and he was at my side on several of the most exciting days of my life when ole clack conquered NYC and LA in the same year.

But to crash in a fatal merger the next.

https://www.dailynews.com/2018/05/29...on-settlement/
    To take nothing away from the story of your associate, I could not look at the photo of Milt and think that he was the live child of LA Ute and Jack Nicholson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Is it OK to kill cyclists?

Nearly hit a cyclist today. I was heading west at an intersection intending to turn north (left). Through traffic east and west had a green light and left turning traffic had a flashing yellow arrow, allowing a left turn when clear from oncoming traffic.

There was no oncoming traffic as I rolled up to the intersection and thus I started to enter the intersection to make my left turn. I was about 10-15 feet into the intersection when a cyclist shot into the intersection from my left. He was blocked from my vision by my front left pillar, so by the time I saw him, he was directly front of my left headlight. I slammed on my brakes, and missed him by 3-4 feet. He turned and looked at me and kept going through the intersection. As I started to accelerate again to continue my left turn, I noticed a group of cyclists stopped at the light—presumably the group he was riding with. One of them waved to me as of to say "sorry about that!" while a few others were looking in the direction of the offending cyclist and shaking their heads.

It has been a couple hours and I’m still pretty pissed about it, because that could have really messed up my car.
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
        Nearly hit a cyclist today. I was heading west at an intersection intending to turn north (left). Through traffic east and west had a green light and left turning traffic had a flashing yellow arrow, allowing a left turn when clear from oncoming traffic.

There was no oncoming traffic as I rolled up to the intersection and thus I started to enter the intersection to make my left turn. I was about 10-15 feet into the intersection when a cyclist shot into the intersection from my left. He was blocked from my vision by my front left pillar, so by the time I saw him, he was directly front of my left headlight. I slammed on my brakes, and missed him by 3-4 feet. He turned and looked at me and kept going through the intersection. As I started to accelerate again to continue my left turn, I noticed a group of cyclists stopped at the light—presumably the group he was riding with. One of them waved to me as of to say "sorry about that!" while a few others were looking in the direction of the offending cyclist and shaking their heads.

It has been a couple hours and I’m still pretty pissed about it, because that could have really messed up my car.
        Don’t worry—you’ll get ‘em next time.
        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

You might check your directions and adjust your post. I didn't quite follow.

Comment

Wait, was the cyclist traveling east/west? If so he was “oncoming traffic” and had the right of way because he would have had a green light. If he was traveling north/south, then he ran a red light and is an idiot.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
              Wait, was the cyclist traveling east/west? If so he was “oncoming traffic” and had the right of way because he would have had a green light. If he was traveling north/south, then he ran a red light and is an idiot.
              Cyclist was coming from behind him, on the left side of the road.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                You might check your directions and adjust your post. I didn't quite follow.
                The directions are sound. You might read again and adjust your brain. But here’s the tl;dr version:

I was entering an intersection westbound intending to make a left turn to head north. A southbound cyclist ran a red light and cut in front of me before I could make my turn.
                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                  If he was traveling south, then he ran a red light and is an idiot.
                  This.

Comment

Nearly hit a cyclist today. I was heading west at an intersection intending to turn north (left).
                    Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                    The directions are sound. You might read again and adjust your brain.

"What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

The directions are sound. You might read again and adjust your brain. But here’s the tl;dr version:

I was entering an intersection westbound intending to make a left turn to head north. A southbound cyclist ran a red light and cut in front of me before I could make my turn.
                      Ok, I'll just take your word for it, because I still can't wrap my brain around it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                        Ok, I'll just take your word for it, because I still can't wrap my brain around it.
                        No you are correct. DH has his directions flipped. Going westbound you make a right turn to go north.

Comment

• Is it OK to kill cyclists?

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                          No you are correct. DH has his directions flipped. Going westbound you make a right turn to go north.

Im an idiot. Yep. Eastbound. I suppose that’s what I get for A) posting during a meeting that I was conducting and B) being an idiot.

I’ll just go ahead and take the double down mantra from GM for a day.
                          Last edited by Donuthole; 01-20-2019, 02:01 PM.

Comment

• Sometimes? I mean this guy just looks like he's nuts.

209417.jpg

Comment

• Cyclist critically injured after UTV collided with group of bikers

Witnesses later reported that the vehicle was driving aggressively, cutting corners and accelerating rapidly around turns troopers said.

Preliminary investigations found evidence the UTV was on the wrong side of the roadway when it went around the curve, troopers said.

Comment

• My old teachers quorum advisor fromwhen I was a kid used to do this driving up the canyons. He called it canyon driving and would look for headlights coming back. If he didn’t see any, he’d cut the corner on the wrong side of the road. Seemed reckless back then. Sounds deadly now.
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X