Is it OK to kill cyclists?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That is my brothers riding group. He sent me this text

Bruce Harvey is a guy on my bike team who I have ridden with several times and rode with yesterday. In fact, yesterday I was talking to him as we stopped at the AF Canyon Summit about a new bike he wants to purchase. I went down the Sundance side about an hour before this accident because the rest of the team wanted to ride Cascade Springs down and up, but I didn’t want to do that much climbing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
      That is my brothers riding group. He sent me this text

Bruce Harvey is a guy on my bike team who I have ridden with several times and rode with yesterday. In fact, yesterday I was talking to him as we stopped at the AF Canyon Summit about a new bike he wants to purchase. I went down the Sundance side about an hour before this accident because the rest of the team wanted to ride Cascade Springs down and up, but I didn’t want to do that much climbing.
      Wow. Glad your brother missed it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        My old teachers quorum advisor from when I was a kid used to do this driving up the canyons. He called it canyon driving and would look for headlights coming back. If he didn’t see any, he’d cut the corner on the wrong side of the road. Seemed reckless back then. Sounds deadly now.
        This is why all of those car commercials that show vehicles "canyon driving" also have a little disclaimer on them that it was a professional driver on a closed course.

Comment

• there is video of the guy driving very fast and reckless down the canyon. looked incredibly dangerous. as of last night, he hadn't been cited, but i'd be shocked if he comes out of this clean.
          I'm like LeBron James.
          -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
            there is video of the guy driving very fast and reckless down the canyon. looked incredibly dangerous. as of last night, he hadn't been cited, but i'd be shocked if he comes out of this clean.
            I would push for more than vehicular manslaughter.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
              I would push for more than vehicular manslaughter.
              the cyclist didn't die, but sure as hell deserves more than a slap on the wrist.
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

Comment

• UTV drivers/owners are the worst.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

the cyclist didn't die, but sure as hell deserves more than a slap on the wrist.
                  Oh, that is great news. Guess I should read better.

Comment

Then why are we talking about it in this thread? Shouldn't it be in the "Is it OK to maim and/or seriously injure cyclists?" thread?
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                      Then why are we talking about it in this thread? Shouldn't it be in the "Is it OK to maim and/or seriously injure cyclists?" thread?
                      That was me. It could very easily have killed someone is why I opted not to start a new thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                        Wanted to confirm whether it was okay before he went to the hospital to finish the job.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• https://www.outsideonline.com/240974...ng-deaths-2020

outside says the answer to this thread is No.

Comment

• https://www.outsideonline.com/240228...term=watchlist

The other day I was smoked out by a diesel truck because the guy had to slow down for maybe 20 seconds until I got around the corner so he could see far enough ahead to pass. Well being dressed in lyra and on a 18 lb bike and him in a 6000 lb truck the smart thing seemed to be to go after him. He turned around and yelled at me so I flagged him and he gave me the bird back and off he went but I still wasn't done, I went after him again. I lost him but he doubles back again and came up beside me and proceeds to tell me he's a golden gloves winner and he's going to kick my ass. After some back and forth I could tell he was shorter so I asked if he was 5' 5", he came right back with he was 5' 7" but his dick weighed more than me, I had no come back for that. He smoked my out again and took off. About a half mile up the road I see him double back again and at this point I just want to get on with my ride. His head is sticking out the window and he says he wants to talk, I pull over and he said he wanted to apologize, I was shocked. I told him I would I try to stay out of his way but 20 to 30 seconds of being held up is not enough to risk a life and he agreed. It's amazing the risks people will put others in because they don't want to wait those 20 seconds but like Gaimon says in the article, I worry about a 17 year old girl texting more than these rednecks in their diesel trucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                              https://www.outsideonline.com/240228...term=watchlist

The other day I was smoked out by a diesel truck because the guy had to slow down for maybe 20 seconds until I got around the corner so he could see far enough ahead to pass. Well being dressed in lyra and on a 18 lb bike and him in a 6000 lb truck the smart thing seemed to be to go after him. He turned around and yelled at me so I flagged him and he gave me the bird back and off he went but I still wasn't done, I went after him again. I lost him but he doubles back again and came up beside me and proceeds to tell me he's a golden gloves winner and he's going to kick my ass. After some back and forth I could tell he was shorter so I asked if he was 5' 5", he came right back with he was 5' 7" but his dick weighed more than me, I had no come back for that. He smoked my out again and took off. About a half mile up the road I see him double back again and at this point I just want to get on with my ride. His head is sticking out the window and he says he wants to talk, I pull over and he said he wanted to apologize, I was shocked. I told him I would I try to stay out of his way but 20 to 30 seconds of being held up is not enough to risk a life and he agreed. It's amazing the risks people will put others in because they don't want to wait those 20 seconds but like Gaimon says in the article, I worry about a 17 year old girl texting more than these rednecks in their diesel trucks.
                              Truth. I stick to trails as much as possible because of this. I'm sure I've mentioned this, but I had a good friend get killed down in Sanpete on his bike by a distracted driver--we think texting was involved, but i don't think law enforcement pursued it.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                                https://www.outsideonline.com/240228...term=watchlist

I'm like LeBron James.
                                -mpfunk

Comment

Working...
                                X