The End of Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Too risky to do a brain biopsy unless the biopsy result will change management of a treatable problem.

But yeah they absolutely need a comparison group of similar non-football playing men to interpret the results of these post-Mortem brain examinations.
    Iwonder if they have looked at CSF for protein levels as that would be a less-morbid diagnostic.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
      There are paramedics at all the games too. Most little league venues also have paramedics on game day.
      Was thinking about this thread as I read this.

What's the difference between a painter and an emergency medical technician?

Here in Utah, one of these workers is required to undergo 730 days of training while the other is prepared to enter the workforce after just 28 days. But it's not the medical technician who's required to undergo the more extensive training — it's the painter.
      http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/395748...ng-reform-is-a

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
        I have never see what percent of non-football players who are tested for CTE test positively for it? Is it essentially no one, or do a bunch of folks end up getting it one way or another?
        Almost all boxers get it.

Comment

• <http://q13fox.com/2016/10/10/fourth-...y-high-school/>
          Fourth school forfeits football game against Archbishop Murphy High School

Cedar Park Christian School is the latest school to forfeit against powerhouse Archbishop Murphy High School.

Cedar Park Christian School’s Superintendent Dr. Clint Behrends released a statement on Monday with the decision:

“Cedar Park Christian regrets the unfortunate controversy and the confusion that has developed concerning the scheduled football games with Archbishop Murphy.

Cedar Park Christian School has found itself caught in the middle of a rising controversy that has several legitimate viewpoints. While the timing of the issue plays into a larger controversy playing out in society, the motivation for initiating a football program remains the school’s philosophy of teaching young men loyalty, character, courage, commitment, and self-discipline in the face of adversity. These character qualities are valued throughout our entire school, and shared by our families.

The concern of CPC parents over the safety of their sons has led Cedar Park Christian to forfeit our game with ATM scheduled for October 14th. As our previous press release states we “support and respect all families and their perspectives” and “respect every parent and their God-given obligation to raise their children.” Archbishop Murphy’s Principal Alex Crane and AD/Football Coach Jerry Jensen have been notified of this decision.”

Archbishop Murphy’s game against Cedar Park Christian was scheduled to be the team’s homecoming game on Friday, Oct. 14.

This is the fourth school to forfeit. Granite Falls High School announced a forfeit last week after parents there cited safety concerns.

Archbishop Murphy held a press conference last Wednesday to express disappointment and frustration.

South Whidbey, Sultan, and Granite Falls have all forfeited their games to Archbishop Murphy so far. Archbishop Murphy dominated their first three games against Issaquah, Bishop Blanchet and King’s with a combined 170-0 score.
          Last edited by Walter Sobchak; 10-10-2016, 06:36 PM.
          You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
          Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
          You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
            Was thinking about this thread as I read this.

http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/395748...ng-reform-is-a
            NYC public schools don't allow football games to be played without at least one doctor on the sideline throughout the contest. They are supplied by the home team and are typically ER docs. Any official has the authority to send a player to be checked by the doc for suspected concussion. I think rarely, if ever, are players cleared to reenter the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
              <http://q13fox.com/2016/10/10/fourth-...y-high-school/>

Cedar Park Christian School is the latest school to forfeit against powerhouse Archbishop Murphy High School.

Cedar Park Christian School’s Superintendent Dr. Clint Behrends released a statement on Monday with the decision:

“Cedar Park Christian regrets the unfortunate controversy and the confusion that has developed concerning the scheduled football games with Archbishop Murphy.

Cedar Park Christian School has found itself caught in the middle of a rising controversy that has several legitimate viewpoints. While the timing of the issue plays into a larger controversy playing out in society, the motivation for initiating a football program remains the school’s philosophy of teaching young men loyalty, character, courage, commitment, and self-discipline in the face of adversity. These character qualities are valued throughout our entire school, and shared by our families.

The concern of CPC parents over the safety of their sons has led Cedar Park Christian to forfeit our game with ATM scheduled for October 14th. As our previous press release states we “support and respect all families and their perspectives” and “respect every parent and their God-given obligation to raise their children.” Archbishop Murphy’s Principal Alex Crane and AD/Football Coach Jerry Jensen have been notified of this decision.”

Archbishop Murphy’s game against Cedar Park Christian was scheduled to be the team’s homecoming game on Friday, Oct. 14.

This is the fourth school to forfeit. Granite Falls High School announced a forfeit last week after parents there cited safety concerns.

Archbishop Murphy held a press conference last Wednesday to express disappointment and frustration.

South Whidbey, Sultan, and Granite Falls have all forfeited their games to Archbishop Murphy so far. Archbishop Murphy dominated their first three games against Issaquah, Bishop Blanchet and King’s with a combined 170-0 score.
              I don't have much recollection of Archbishop Murphy, but when I first heard this story a week or so ago, I assumed they were 1A or 2A. But now hearing Issaquah was one of their blowout victims, I assume they must be 3A or 4A? And is Issaquah that bad these days, or Archbishop Murphy just that good? and is it just this season, or have they been a power for a few years now? What a strange story.
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                I don't have much recollection of Archbishop Murphy, but when I first heard this story a week or so ago, I assumed they were 1A or 2A. But now hearing Issaquah was one of their blowout victims, I assume they must be 3A or 4A? And is Issaquah that bad these days, or Archbishop Murphy just that good? and is it just this season, or have they been a power for a few years now? What a strange story.
                They are 2A. I think that's part of the problem. They have 300 pound lineman going against 165 pound counterparts from small schools. Maybe they played up against Issaquah.
                Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

<http://q13fox.com/2016/10/10/fourth-...y-high-school/>

Granite Falls making the news for something that isn't a shooting! That's progress.
                  Get confident, stupid
                  -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                    They are 2A. I think that's part of the problem. They have 300 pound lineman going against 165 pound counterparts from small schools. Maybe they played up against Issaquah.
                    if they were able to play up and beat what I assume is still a decent program in Issaquah 73-0, I get why these 2A schools don't want any part of them. that's nuts.

(edit) just looked it up - Issaquah sucks these days, so that's part of it, but still.
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                      This is an interesting story. I have a lot of angst here in Idaho with the proliferation of both Charter Schools and small private religious schools competing in the 1A level. I know Utah forces both Charter and Private schools to compete at a size higher than their enrollment and there is a move in Idaho to force a similar rule.

But forfeiting is for pussies.
                      Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                      -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                      -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• No high school has any business beating another high school 73-0. They should forfeit due to the coach's boorishness alone. Let them find their game tape elsewhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                          if they were able to play up and beat what I assume is still a decent program in Issaquah 73-0, I get why these 2A schools don't want any part of them. that's nuts.

(edit) just looked it up - Issaquah sucks these days, so that's part of it, but still.

FYI, Archbishop Murphy has 1A-sized enrollment (~400 kids total); Issaquah is 4A (~1600 kids). Issaquah is modeling their youth program after Skyline and is building from the ground up, but they are still a few years out. They'll get there.

Obviously, a private Catholic School can pick and choose what students it accepts (state-wide), which can be a huge advantage over comparably-sized schools. I read that ABM petitioned to play up to 3A (and compete with Bellevue, et al), but were denied. Perhaps because other 3A schools do not want their best players cherry-picked by a private school? Maybe. The QB on my son's Skyline youth football team for the past few years went to Eastside Catholic instead of matriculating to Skyline.

Last year, Eastside Catholic won the 3A state title and Gonzaga Prep (also Catholic) won the 4A state title... rolling Skyline 34-16 in the title game.
                          You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                          Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

Comment

• Fifth team forfeits to Archbishop Murphy

Dear Cedarcrest Community:
                            Cedarcrest High School Forfeits Archbishop Murphy Football Game

After completing a thorough review of whether to play of forfeit the October 28th Cedarcrest - Archbishop Murphy football game, the Riverview School District has decided to forfeit. The review included WIAA (Washington Interscholastic Activities Association) policies; other Cascade Conference School District decisions; and conversations with the Cedarcrest Administration, Athletic Director, and Coaches. The reason for forfeiture is a competitive imbalance between their student-athletes and ours. Our district's number one priority is the health and safety of our students within our mission to "educate children."

Sincerely and respectfully,

Dr. Anthony L. Smith
                            Superintendent
                            Riverview School District

Comment

Fifth team forfeits to Archbishop Murphy

"The reason for forfeiture is a competitive imbalance between their student-athletes and ours."
                              Wondering if "competitive imbalance" is ever used as a reason to forfeit basketball games. Back in my high school days, there was a Catholic prep school that recruited primarily minorities within a metro area. They competed in the highest high school classification in the state in sports so maybe the competitive balance was not as great. They always had excellent football teams but their recruitment was more pronounced in basketball. Recruiting three elite athletes for football has an impact; doing the same for basketball guarantees championships.
                              “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                              "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post

But forfeiting is for pussies.
                                And so it was when Stanford Rugby refused to play Cal rugby.

http://www.bearinsider.com/links/sta...gbyEmails.html
                                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
                                X