Richard Bushman – Helping Those in Doubt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
    No, it takes me about an hour to run my daily 10 miles. So the podcast length worked out well and even left me time to get some transcription done on my iPhone during the last 11 minutes of my run.
    please sign up for the holiday running challenge. TIA
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

No, it takes me about an hour to run my daily 10 miles. So the podcast length worked out well and even left me time to get some transcription done on my iPhone during the last 11 minutes of my run.
      You're running six-minute miles? I couldn't be more impressed (or, I suppose, incredulous...).

Comment

Running? I thought you called it speed walking?
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          You're running six-minute miles? I couldn't be more impressed (or, I suppose, incredulous...).
          I don't like to brag, but that just slipped out.

Originally posted by falafel View Post
          Running? I thought you called it speed walking?
          It's aerobic walking and I am pretty doggone fast.

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
          please sign up for the holiday running challenge. TIA
          No.
          “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
          ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
          -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
          --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

I want to see a six minute aerobic walking mile...cue Benny Hill music
            Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Some more:

So long as you have a feeling that if you really look at everything, that if you turned over every rock, you might be shocked with what you found, you don’t have a secure testimony. Until you can look at everything squarely you really are on shaky ground.
              “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
              ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Comment

Well I enjoyed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                  I want to see a six minute aerobic walking mile...cue Benny Hill music
                  Benny Hill references are always funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                    Well I enjoyed it.
                    ― W.H. Auden

Comment

I love podcasts and I love Bushman. This sounds like it's right up my alley.
                      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Listened to it. If you're read or heard anything from Bushman the last several years, it's nothing new. "we need to be gentle with people with faith crisis, some of this historical stuff really appears to be messed up, some people freak out when they hear it for the first time in their 20's and 30's, they feel lied to, we should be more open about it and hit kids when they're younger, when we hear these difficult things for example why the B of A text is not what is on the scrolls in Egyptian, we can think about what it means to be a prophet, and get a more mature meaning, do they make mistakes, does God allow them to, etc, etc." It's a great message as far as being tolerant to those in faith crisis. I'm still processing what he and Terryl Givens and others like them are saying in terms of their belief. I'm not sure if they're saying, "Joseph made it up, but he made up something wonderful, and I'm committed to it." or are they saying "it's really weird how it all got revealed, but God truly revealed it to Joseph and, and Joseph truly is a prophet." Or maybe these two just run together, and I'm too black and white to make sense of it.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                          Listened to it. If you're read or heard anything from Bushman the last several years, it's nothing new. "we need to be gentle with people with faith crisis, some of this historical stuff really appears to be messed up, some people freak out when they hear it for the first time in their 20's and 30's, they feel lied to, we should be more open about it and hit kids when they're younger, when we hear these difficult things for example why the B of A text is not what is on the scrolls in Egyptian, we can think about what it means to be a prophet, and get a more mature meaning, do they make mistakes, does God allow them to, etc, etc." It's a great message as far as being tolerant to those in faith crisis. I'm still processing what he and Terryl Givens and others like them are saying in terms of their belief. I'm not sure if they're saying, "Joseph made it up, but he made up something wonderful, and I'm committed to it." or are they saying "it's really weird how it all got revealed, but God truly revealed it to Joseph and, and Joseph truly is a prophet." Or maybe these two just run together, and I'm too black and white to make sense of it.
                          IMO, Bushman is leaving things open ended on purpose. As he has stated there's a lot more gray than black and white in history. For instance, what if Joseph was a prophet and received some things via revelation (even if some things were really weird on how they were revealed) and other things were made up. And still other things were revealed, like the WofW, but then reinterpreted by future prophets. I like Bushman's plea for "gentleness" and understanding not just with those having a faith crisis but with those trying to find their own path in the church.
                          “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                          "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                            IMO, Bushman is leaving things open ended on purpose. As he has stated there's a lot more gray than black and white in history. For instance, what if Joseph was a prophet and received some things via revelation (even if some things were really weird on how they were revealed) and other things were made up. And still other things were revealed, like the WofW, but then reinterpreted by future prophets. I like Bushman's plea for "gentleness" and understanding not just with those having a faith crisis but with those trying to find their own path in the church.
                            Agreed. Also, I can't help but notice that his approach to "gray" and prophetic fallibility resonates throughout Mormondom. For the most part, our Church has been more tone deaf on these things than have the RLDS, CoC, Restorationist Branches, Hedrickites, and so on.

I'm glad to see that these ideas are moving out of exclusive, scholarly circles. It will be interesting to see their increasing collisions with correlation.
                            We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

Despite the alarm, the archbishop’s remarks were rather tame. He told an audience at Bristol Cathedral that there were moments where he wondered, “Is there a God? Where is God?” Then, asked specifically if he harbored doubts, he responded, “It is a really good question. ... The other day I was praying over something as I was running, and I ended up saying to God, ‘Look, this is all very well, but isn’t it about time you did something, if you’re there?’ Which is probably not what the archbishop of Canterbury should say.”

The London-based Muslim scholar Mufti Abdur-Rahman went straight to Twitter: “I cannot believe this.” The Australian atheist columnist Peter FitzSimons tweeted, “VICTORY!” The “Daily Show” account joked, “Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God. Adds: ‘But atheism doesn’t pay them bills, sooo ...”’
                              If we don’t accept both the commonality and importance of doubt, we don’t allow for the possibility of mistakes or misjudgments. While certainty frequently calcifies into rigidity, intolerance and self-righteousness, doubt can deepen, clarify and explain. This is, of course, a subject far broader than belief in God.

The philosopher Bertrand Russell put it best. The whole problem with the world, he wrote, is that “the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.”

Of that at least we can be certain. I’m pretty sure, anyway.
                              http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/26/op...aith.html?_r=1
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Many people I know, including some very gifted ministers, have struggled with such doubts. So did C.S. Lewis, the greatest apologist for the Christian faith in the 20th century. (The doubts came in the immediate aftermath of the death of his wife Joy Davidman.) And one of the formative figures in my own Christian pilgrimage, Malcolm Muggeridge, told William F. Buckley, Jr., “I rather believe in doubt. It’s sometimes thought that it’s the antithesis of faith, but I think it’s connected with faith – something that actually St. Augustine said – like, you know, reinforced concrete and you have those strips of metal in the concrete which make it stronger.”
                                http://www.commentarymagazine.com/20...ith-and-doubt/
                                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                                X