No announcement yet.

The Official High School Football Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bingham attracts talent. families move so their sons can play bingham football.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
      bingham attracts talent. families move so their sons can play bingham football.
      With open enrollment you don't need to move for high school athletics. Little-league football, however, does require you to be in the boundaries
      "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
        Not to be outdone by lambdacoug, my kids' high school (Allen HS) has one game left in the regular season. They are defending 5-A Texas state champs (went 15-1) playing in the largest division. This season they are 9-0 and ranked #3 nationally in an outdated Max Preps poll (don't feel like subscribing for the current rankings) and are ranked #2 nationally by USA today. Just thought I'd post this now in case they get upset next Friday night or lose in the playoffs. BTW, their Center has verballed to BYU.

Prep football in Texas can be kind of crazy especially when playoffs start. Many later round playoff games are played in College stadiums and sometimes NFL stadiums like Cowboys Stadium and Reliant Stadium. Watching video of the Bountiful-Logan playoff game, I kept thinking where are all the fans? Maybe it's the camera angle. But regular season football games for my kids' HS usually draw 10K-15K and sometimes their home stadium sells out (holds 18K). Even more attend playoff games. Friday Night Lights, baby.
        In '93, my senior year we drew a crowd of over 12k IIRC, which was the state record at the time. I forget who we played that day, but we had ESPN in town to capture our star receiver as he broke Jerry Rice's HS reception record, which he did. I'm not sure if he still holds the record or not. We won the first state championship that year going 13-1 losing by a score of 6-7 to Rockhurst which was ranked #5 by USA today that year (they had a pick-6). It was all good, we shut them out 3-0 in the playoffs in a rematch. Talk about grudge matches.
        Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
        - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
        - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

My High School is 17/17 between the two rankings above. They went from a couple of wins to making the playoffs while I was a student. Now they win state pretty much every year. They also align the little league and junior high systems with the high school.

Comment

I have a friend who coaches little league football in the Provo/Orem area. He said that the owner of Vivint wants to shift the balance of power from Timpview to Orem HS. So he is throwing obscene amounts of money into sponsoring a new youth league and stacks all of the teams with players and coaches loyal to Orem HS. Kids from Provo/Orem like the play in the league because everything is subsidized and top-notch (uniforms, equipment, ref support, etc). The strategy seems to be to get the kids to play with and become friends with the Orem kids so that they will eventually want to attend Orem and play there. Not to mention the pressure they will get from the coaches. It will be interesting to see if it works.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Isn't that kind of what has happened over the years with the schools in SLC? Skyline, then later Northridge, which led to the current rules with where you live, and less open enrollment and other stuff like that. Will they let kids from Provo drive over to Orem to play when they're in high school?
              Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                Unless they are in FCS or Division II/III, in which case a lot of playoff games is OK w/r/t safety and academics.
                It is especially OK since the kids playing FCS or Division II/III are the ones who are much more likely to be relying on academics for their future career and livelihood.

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                I have a friend who coaches little league football in the Provo/Orem area. He said that the owner of Vivint wants to shift the balance of power from Timpview to Orem HS. So he is throwing obscene amounts of money into sponsoring a new youth league and stacks all of the teams with players and coaches loyal to Orem HS. Kids from Provo/Orem like the play in the league because everything is subsidized and top-notch (uniforms, equipment, ref support, etc). The strategy seems to be to get the kids to play with and become friends with the Orem kids so that they will eventually want to attend Orem and play there. Not to mention the pressure they will get from the coaches. It will be interesting to see if it works.
                I think this is what drives me nuts about the whole "Ute Conference" for little league football in the area surrounding Salt Lake. Most of the league officials I've run into are Utah fans and push the Utes pretty hard at times.

Comment

My mother was the head of the Science Dept at Blue Springs South (both schools are in the same district). Her rants on how football ruled all decisions made by the district were epic. My dad and I very quickly realized that we could never talk HS football around my mom. When the schools split in 1993 (my senior class was kept together), the football talent rich areas were gerrymandered into the Blue Springs boundaries and the rest when to South, which made South lighter on student population and therefore funds. And this is where I would do my best to extricate myself from the conversation. Little league in the area is pretty much divided into two, those that feed into BSHS and those that feed into BSSHS and there isn't a whole lot of mixing. I'm not keyed into it anymore since I live 40 minutes away, but this is what I've heard.
                  Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                  - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                  - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

It is actually the owner of Vivints best friend Adam Legas that is leading the charge. Todd Pederson is just bankrolling everything. Adam has 3 sons all quarterbacks at different levels. His son is the one that did the trick shot video a few years ago (seen below). Adam is the receiver with his shirt off. He is pushing hard to get kids to come to Orem and play with his boys. Gunnar is going to be a pretty good qb prospect in a few years.

*Banned*

Comment

Chase Nelson suffered a torn MCL on the play where he kicked the defender. He said he felt a burn in his knee similar to what he felt last year (when he also tore his MCL) and he panicked and was trying to shake the kid off his leg. That actually makes some sense.
                      *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                        Chase Nelson suffered a torn MCL on the play where he kicked the defender. He said he felt a burn in his knee similar to what he felt last year (when he also tore his MCL) and he panicked and was trying to shake the kid off his leg. That actually makes some sense.
                        I saw one of the other angles and it didn't look like he was intentionally kicking him. Considering the injury I wonder if the suspension is a moot point.

Comment

Darn it. That's really a shame.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I saw one of the other angles and it didn't look like he was intentionally kicking him. Considering the injury I wonder if the suspension is a moot point.

Comment

echo?
                              I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Originally posted by lambdacoug View Post
                                My mother was the head of the Science Dept at Blue Springs South (both schools are in the same district). Her rants on how football ruled all decisions made by the district were epic. My dad and I very quickly realized that we could never talk HS football around my mom. When the schools split in 1993 (my senior class was kept together), the football talent rich areas were gerrymandered into the Blue Springs boundaries and the rest when to South, which made South lighter on student population and therefore funds. And this is where I would do my best to extricate myself from the conversation. Little league in the area is pretty much divided into two, those that feed into BSHS and those that feed into BSSHS and there isn't a whole lot of mixing. I'm not keyed into it anymore since I live 40 minutes away, but this is what I've heard.
                                West Dillon vs. East Dillon!
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X