The Official High School Football Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hostile View Post
    I was listening to the HS report on Friday. When they mentioned the penalty / suspension they indicated it would be appealed. As you noted this is an infraction that can't be overturned. I didn't see the play but it has been reported that he was tackled late in the end zone and that the defender wouldn't let go. Re: East. Maybe they should try the "these kids have been through enough" angle.
    Exactly. The Logan coach needs to get on TV and cry like a baby. Certainly worked for Matich.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
      I'd be interested to see video of the kick. Their description of his leg locking up and then extending is interesting, and I would think it would be pretty obvious.

That aside - if he's really injured to the degree described then he may not be available to play the game either way.
      It happens at about the 56 minute mark:

To me his kick looks pretty sissy/weak, but two refs were right there looking at it. Someone on desnews posted the applicable rules/penalties:

Rule2-1
      Fighting is any attempt by a player or nonplayer to strike or engage a player or nonplayer in a combative manner unrelated to football. Such acts include, but are not limited to, attempts to strike an opponent(s) with the arm(s), hand(s), leg(s) or foot (feet), whether or not there is contact.

Rule 9-4-1
      ART. 1 . . . No player or nonplayer shall fight.

PENALTY: Fighting, intentionally contacting a game official, striking, kicking or kneeing. (Arts. 1, 2, 3j) – (S38- 47) – 15 yards and disqualification.
      Someone also posted that the handbook says player ejections cannot be appealed (coach ejections can, but not players).

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
        Quit stalking teenagers.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
        Interesting post. When I saw the thread title, my first thought was that this thread will assist cougjunkie in stalking teenagers.
        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Junkie, your list does not include Anae's son at Timpview.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Junkie, your list does not include Anae's son at Timpview.
            Max Anae 45 tackles and 4 sacks.

The Timpview front 7 is ridiculous.
            *Banned*

Comment

My alma mater (Blue Springs, currently with a #21 national ranking from MaxPreps, and #26 from USA Today) advanced to round 2 in the Missouri playoffs with a 42-0 destruction of Lee's Summit North. My daughter's HS (Lee's Summit) advanced to the second round with a 56-24 win over Joplin. The only loss Lee's Summit has is to Blue Springs, which was a 49-7 affair which I had to rub in being that BSHS-LSHS was the big rivalry when I was in school. Next up for my Wildcats is the annual grudge match replay between Blue Springs and Blue Springs South which squeaked by the always tough Rockhurst (which is traditionally a pipeline to Notre Dame).
              Last edited by lambdacoug; 11-06-2013, 06:28 AM.
              Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
              - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
              - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

Originally posted by scottie View Post
                It happens at about the 56 minute mark:

To me his kick looks pretty sissy/weak, but two refs were right there looking at it. Someone on desnews posted the applicable rules/penalties:

Someone also posted that the handbook says player ejections cannot be appealed (coach ejections can, but not players).
                Thanks for posting the video. I'm somewhat curious as to what their various angles are that the Logan coach refers to. This angle isn't great, particularly being so far away.

I'm also curious as to what the referees heard and said.

I could see them believing that he was mad at the defensive player for continuing through with the tackle once he was in the endzone, and gave him a little kick to show his disapproval. It also looks like he may have been looking over at the refs and grabbed his knee as they were grabbing their flags. And if he was the one penalized 2 plays earlier for the personal foul, I could also see them believing that he has a difficult time controlling his temper and that his little kick was consistent with what they might expect to see from him.

That aside - it is disappointing if that is the end of his HS career and Logan's run this year. I imagine he was a big part of what got them where they are, and that they don't have a backup ready to go who will slide right in without them missing a beat.

Comment

Not to be outdone by lambdacoug, my kids' high school (Allen HS) has one game left in the regular season. They are defending 5-A Texas state champs (went 15-1) playing in the largest division. This season they are 9-0 and ranked #3 nationally in an outdated Max Preps poll (don't feel like subscribing for the current rankings) and are ranked #2 nationally by USA today. Just thought I'd post this now in case they get upset next Friday night or lose in the playoffs. BTW, their Center has verballed to BYU.

Prep football in Texas can be kind of crazy especially when playoffs start. Many later round playoff games are played in College stadiums and sometimes NFL stadiums like Cowboys Stadium and Reliant Stadium. Watching video of the Bountiful-Logan playoff game, I kept thinking where are all the fans? Maybe it's the camera angle. But regular season football games for my kids' HS usually draw 10K-15K and sometimes their home stadium sells out (holds 18K). Even more attend playoff games. Friday Night Lights, baby.
                  “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                  "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                    Not to be outdone by lambdacoug, my kids' high school (Allen HS) has one game left in the regular season. They are defending 5-A Texas state champs (went 15-1) playing in the largest division.
                    16 games in a high school season?

Jealous.

Comment

Jealous.
                      But for safety /academic reasons we can only have a 4 team playoff. Don't want college kids playing to many games.
                      *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                        But for safety /academic reasons we can only have a 4 team playoff. Don't want college kids playing to many games.
                        Unless they are in FCS or Division II/III, in which case a lot of playoff games is OK w/r/t safety and academics.
                        "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Jealous.
                          The regular season is 10 games. In 5-A, as many as half of an 8-team division can qualify for the playoffs. There are two playoff brackets of 64 teams each seperated by enrollment. For example, a district would send its largest two schools to one bracket and the smaller two schools to the other bracket.

So the majority of schools play only 10 games; most don't play more than 12 games. But make it to the finals, and it's 16 games. Texas can get away with it because of the climate. The semis and finals take place in mid-late December. When I played HS football in Nebraska back in the day, the season was 9 games and only district champs qualified for the playoffs (8 teams total). So the finals were played around Thanksgiving.
                          “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                          "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                            Dave Peck has to be considered the best coach in the state, right? I wouldn't have even considered this among his most talented teams and like you said they are steamrolling teams. Impressive how he can have a top team every year, with what has to be very minimal recruiting - if any.
                            Things I know about Bingham football and South Jordan that may contribute to Bingham's success:

1. My son is 11 years old now. There are 22 11-year old boys in our neighborhood alone. Of those 22 boys, I think about 15 play football and have been playing since age 8. Multiply that by all the other neighborhoods in South Jordan.
                            2. South Jordan is one of the most affluent communities in the state on a per-capita basis. The community invests in football probably more than any other area in the state now that the money has dried up at Cottonwood. Camps, equipment, time, coaches, etc. I'm sure it's not Allen, Texas level of investment but it's still pretty amazing for Utah.
                            3. The elements of the offensive and defensive systems run by the high school are taught throughout the youth leagues so those kids that have been playing since age 8 will have been in the system for years by the time they hit high school.

I'm sure there are many other reasons why Bingham is good year after year - these are just some of the things I've observed over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                              Things I know about Bingham football and South Jordan that may contribute to Bingham's success:

1. My son is 11 years old now. There are 22 11-year old boys in our neighborhood alone. Of those 22 boys, I think about 15 play football and have been playing since age 8. Multiply that by all the other neighborhoods in South Jordan.
                              2. South Jordan is one of the most affluent communities in the state on a per-capita basis. The community invests in football probably more than any other area in the state now that the money has dried up at Cottonwood. Camps, equipment, time, coaches, etc. I'm sure it's not Allen, Texas level of investment but it's still pretty amazing for Utah.
                              3. The elements of the offensive and defensive systems run by the high school are taught throughout the youth leagues so those kids that have been playing since age 8 will have been in the system for years by the time they hit high school.

I'm sure there are many other reasons why Bingham is good year after year - these are just some of the things I've observed over the years.
                              Its funny because I was raised in South Jordan and graduated at the then very new Bingham High School over thirty years ago (we were the first graduating class to attend all three years at the new building) and back then the community was far from affluent and the BHS football teams sucked. Basketball was another story, but football was not pretty.
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

This is the key. Skyline did this for years under Dupaix. The youth leagues all ran the option.
                                *Banned*

Comment

Working...
                                X