The Official High School Football Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    Two of the best programs in Texas meet this Saturday at AT&T (Cowboy) Stadium in the second round of Class 6 Division 1.
    Allen vs DeSoto. Both are undefeated this year. The winner of the game will most likely win state. Kind of a shame that they meet so early in the playoffs (round 2 of 6 rounds). Over the past three seasons, Allen has lost only one game and are two-time defending state champs. During that time, DeSoto has only lost three games with two of those losses coming from Allen in the playoffs the past two years. Accoriding to MaxPreps, Allen is ranked #3 nationally and DeSota is ranked #17.

That same MaxPreps ranking has Bingham at #16. Quite an accomplishment, got to think Bingham is favored to win state.
    Nevada had the number 1 team for a while in Bishop Gorman.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
      Nevada had the number 1 team for a while in Bishop Gorman.
      The MaxPrep ranking I came across still has Bishop Gorman - Las Vegas at #1. De La Salle - Concord, CA is #2.
      “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
      "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Utah 4A and 5A playoffs today. Bingham vs. AF in progress right now.

http://live.ksl.com/scheduler/embed-view

Timpview vs. Roy at 6:30 pm MT.
        Bingham will take it.

Comment

The MaxPrep ranking I came across still has Bishop Gorman - Las Vegas at #1. De La Salle - Concord, CA is #2.
          Just saw that. Why did Bingham move from 12th to 16th?

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
            Bingham will take it.
            Bingham dominating on both sides of the ball. Up 20-3 with under four minutes left.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Didn't Bingham take Bishop Gorman to OT?

Comment

Bingham dominating on both sides of the ball. Up 20-3 with under four minutes left.
                If Bingham wins they are slated to play in a tournament put on by espn of some of the best HS teams from across the country. Rumors are they could go up against Bishop Gorman again and try and avenge their OT (and only) loss from earlier this year.
                "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by wapiti View Post
                  Didn't Bingham take Bishop Gorman to OT?
                  You're correct. St. John Boscoe wasn't as tight as that one. Bingham actually should have won that game.

Comment

Two of the best programs in Texas meet this Saturday at AT&T (Cowboy) Stadium in the second round of Class 6 Division 1.
                    Allen vs DeSoto. Both are undefeated this year. The winner of the game will most likely win state. Kind of a shame that they meet so early in the playoffs (round 2 of 6 rounds). Over the past three seasons, Allen has lost only one game and are two-time defending state champs. During that time, DeSoto has only lost three games with two of those losses coming from Allen in the playoffs the past two years. Accoriding to MaxPreps, Allen is ranked #3 nationally and DeSota is ranked #17.

That same MaxPreps ranking has Bingham at #16. Quite an accomplishment, got to think Bingham is favored to win state.
                    6 rounds of playoffs? Good hell, what percentage of teams in the Division get in?

When I was in high school, there were only 24 schools in Nebraska Class A. Playoffs were 8 teams, so only 1/3 got in. That still seems like a lot, but not ridiculous. They have since expanded to 28 teams and 16 playoff spots. Teams with losing records make the playoffs every year.

Comment

• Timpview held scoreless in the first half for the first time in 7 years, down 7-0 to Roy. They are looking good and driving here early in the 3rd quarter though.

Comment

• Timpview poured it on in the second half. Covey is a great HS QB. Also, Bingham dominated both the semifinal and the final with their backup QB.
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                          Timpview poured it on in the second half. Covey is a great HS QB. Also, Bingham dominated both the semifinal and the final with their backup QB.
                          We need to sign Covey and Gabe Reed. Devin Kaufusi also had a great game.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

We need to sign Covey and Gabe Reed. Devin Kaufusi also had a great game.
                            That defensive line with Reed and Kaufusi was dominant in the second half. That's a very talented group.

I tend to think Bingham would beat Timpview simply based on the fact they nearly beat the #1 team in the country, but Timpview would have the best player on the field and that dline would give Bingham all sorts of problems.
                            I'm like LeBron James.
                            -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                              That defensive line with Reed and Kaufusi was dominant in the second half. That's a very talented group.

I tend to think Bingham would beat Timpview simply based on the fact they nearly beat the #1 team in the country, but Timpview would have the best player on the field and that dline would give Bingham all sorts of problems.
                              Bingham defense was outstanding today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                                6 rounds of playoffs? Good hell, what percentage of teams in the Division get in?

When I was in high school, there were only 24 schools in Nebraska Class A. Playoffs were 8 teams, so only 1/3 got in. That still seems like a lot, but not ridiculous. They have since expanded to 28 teams and 16 playoff spots. Teams with losing records make the playoffs every year.
                                It's kind of ridiculus with post-season prep football in Texas; half of an 8-team division make the playoffs. For the largest class (6A), they have two divisions so the largest two schools in a division that make the playoffs go to division 1 and the smallest two schools compete in division 2 playoffs. So there's actually two class 6-A champions. The other thing to consider is that Texas is probably 10X bigger than Nebraska so there's a lot more high schools. In addition, the playoffs go until Christmas rather than Thanksgiving since the Texas climate allows football to be played for an extra month.

When I played prep football in Nebraska it was that way as well. A team had to win its division to make the playoffs (no wildcards) and only 8 teams made it. Championship was played before Thanksgiving if I remember correctly. Can't remember how many Class A teams there were back then but it seems there were more than 24; probably reclassified some since then.
                                ------------
                                The DeSoto-Allen game in AT&T (Cowboy) Stadium was a good one. Allen won 25-22 by completing a long pass on a deflection (great catch by the WR who is headed to Notre Dame) and kicking a FG as time expired.
                                “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                                "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Working...
                                X