Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: The Official High School Football Thread

Speaking of IMG, there is a big article in today's Wall Street Journal about them: https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-a-h...ory-1509122949

This is behind a paywall so here are some of the more interesting points:

Players work out at an $11 million training complex with a high-tech weight room where each repetition is filmed and evaluated by coaches and trainers. Scientists from the Gatorade Sports Science Institute monitor hydration, body composition and other aspects of players’ physical development.

In the past several years, IMG Academy has been transformed into a gleaming, 500-acre campus that includes 52 tennis courts, 24 athletic fields, two five-story dormitories and a 5,000-seat football stadium. Coming soon: a 150-room hotel for visiting parents and college coaches.

Those facilities are signs of a cultural shift in youth sports away from backyards and sandlots. The overall market for youth sports is expected to balloon to $41.2 billion in 2023 from an estimated $19.8 billion this year, according to WinterGreen Research Inc. of Lexington, Mass. Those figures include sports apparel, gear, facilities construction and travel expenses.

Day-to-day life for football players can be grueling, with little down time to socialize or relax. They usually wake up at 6 a.m. to be on the field by 7:45 a.m. for a four-hour block of meetings, film sessions and practice.

After lunch, classes and tutoring sessions run until 5:30 p.m., followed by dinner in the cafeteria. Think kale salads and protein shakes, not sloppy Joes and soda. The evening includes more team meetings and study hall before a 9:45 p.m. curfew. Mandatory lights out is at 10:45 p.m.

Other aspects of campus life resemble a college team’s routine. Teachers travel with players to games, and an in-house media team helps juniors and seniors plan their college commitment announcements.
    Like I said, it's a wonder any normal high school team gets a win against them, although IMG hasn't lost since 2014...

A kid from my town transferred to IMG after his sophomore year and will be playing OLB for UVA next year.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

timpview
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

corner canyon

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    corner canyon
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

excited about brayden cosper

And it's Bingham and East in the 6A finals (unless Herriman can stage a furious 24 point comeback in the final 10 minutes of the game).

Should be a good game. East will play much better than they did in the first game this year.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    And it's Bingham and East in the 6A finals (unless Herriman can stage a furious 24 point comeback in the final 10 minutes of the game).

Should be a good game. East will play much better than they did in the first game this year.
    live streaming now

Pre-Historic Man

live streaming now
    where is the live stream?
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

ksl

hope bingham smashes the shit out of east. brandon matich can esad

ksl

hope bingham smashes the shit out of east. brandon matich can esad
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

east

east

Signature won a Pulitzer Paperback Writer's Avatar

First round of Texas HS football playoffs taking place this weekend. The teams that make it to the finals will be playing just before Christmas, six rounds in all after a 10 game regular season. Friday Night Lights.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Jerry Jones' grandson's team wins the 5A D2 state championship... John Stephen Jones had 552 yards passing (646 total yards) and 4 TDs. And they didn't take the lead until in the final minute of the game.
    Last edited by Uncle Ted; 12-23-2017 at 05:34 AM.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Jerry Jones' grandson's team wins the 5A D1 state championship... John Stephen Jones had 552 yards passing (646 total yards) and 4 TDs. And they didn't take the lead until in the final minute of the game.
    Is he a senior? Did he sign anywhere?
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Is he a senior? Did he sign anywhere?
    Yeah, he is a senior but he is on the small size. I think Arkansas, SMU, and Texas Tech have offered scholarships.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Here is the article in the Dallas Morning News on the Jerry Jones' grandson's game:

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/hig...ck-back-titles

Next up today is PBW's Allen Eagles taking on Lake Travis for the 6A D1 title. That should be a good one as well.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Here is the article in the Dallas Morning News on the Jerry Jones' grandson's game:

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/hig...ck-back-titles

Next up today is PBW's Allen Eagles taking on Lake Travis for the 6A D1 title. That should be a good one as well.
    Was off the grid on a cruise. Allen defeated Lake Travis in the 6A D1 finals and finished undefeated at 16-0. Allen Eagles have been on a pretty good run winning 4 state titles in the past 6 years and have gone something like 91-3 over that time. This is at the highest division of Texas HS football. Being one of the largest high schools in Texas has its advantages.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”

SLC East High will travel to Texas to play the Allen Eagles this coming September. I'm looking forward to the game. In the past, Allen has scheduled prominent teams from Oklahoma, Alabama, and Louisiana. East High will have its work cut out as Allen has not lost in their new stadium (capacity 18K) since it opened in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    SLC East High will travel to Texas to play the Allen Eagles this coming September. I'm looking forward to the game. In the past, Allen has scheduled prominent teams from Oklahoma, Alabama, and Louisiana. East High will have its work cut out as Allen has not lost in their new stadium (capacity 18K) since it opened in 2012.
    let’s go eagles!

Quote Originally Posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    So did the Bingham Miners not want to show their face again in Texas? So Allen gets the runner up. Lame but it might be worth taking a trip out to Allen for.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

So did the Bingham Miners not want to show their face again in Texas? So Allen gets the runner up. Lame but it might be worth taking a trip out to Allen for.

Bingham hasn't played in Texas since they played Trinity Euless in 2009. Since that time they've played in, or against teams from, Florida, Nevada, California, Colorado, Idaho, and Maryland. Obviously Bingham schedules games with teams from a variety of locations so the fact that Allen scheduled a Utah school besides Bingham has nothing to do with whether Bingham wants to show their face in Texas or not.

Are you thinking that Allen could have scheduled whatever team from Utah they wanted, whenever they wanted? Did Allen actually try to schedule Bingham or another Utah school besides East and couldn't?

Calling East the "runner up" for a game that occurs next year strikes me as odd. Yes, East was the "runner up" this year in Utah 6A but that's irrelevant for an out-of-state game next year. Next year, especially in September, the teams will be completely different so there is no "runner-up". Bingham could suck next year and East could be awesome, or vice-versa. East has an excellent football program overall, as does Bingham. I don't understand how you think it's lame that Allen scheduled East instead of Bingham.

I really don't understand your post.

Bingham hasn't played in Texas since they played Trinity Euless in 2009. Since that time they've played in, or against teams from, Florida, Nevada, California, Colorado, Idaho, and Maryland. Obviously Bingham schedules games with teams from a variety of locations so the fact that Allen scheduled a Utah school besides Bingham has nothing to do with whether Bingham wants to show their face in Texas or not.

Are you thinking that Allen could have scheduled whatever team from Utah they wanted, whenever they wanted? Did Allen actually try to schedule Bingham or another Utah school besides East and couldn't?

Calling East the "runner up" for a game that occurs next year strikes me as odd. Yes, East was the "runner up" this year in Utah 6A but that's irrelevant for an out-of-state game next year. Next year, especially in September, the teams will be completely different so there is no "runner-up". Bingham could suck next year and East could be awesome, or vice-versa. East has an excellent football program overall, as does Bingham. I don't understand how you think it's lame that Allen scheduled East instead of Bingham.

ted can be kind of a dumbass at times. not much more to it than that.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

texas
    texas
    texas
    whataburger
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

I don't understand your post... Allen is awesome every year. Ask PBW.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    texas
    texas
    texas
    whataburger
    Good point, JL... Y'all could make a trip to Texas, get some whataburger, and experience Allen Eagle football firsthand for yourself. Be sure to bring your pickle juice or whatever beverage you drink. It is usually still on the warm side in September still. PBW and I will save you a seat.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Good point, JL... Y'all could make a trip to Texas, get some whataburger, and experience Allen Eagle football firsthand for yourself. Be sure to bring your pickle juice or whatever beverage you drink. It is usually still on the warm side in September still. PBW and I will save you a seat.
    That would be fun. Should have done it while my son lived there.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    That would be fun. Should have done it while my son lived there.
    Didn't he tell you? He is coming back.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Didn't he tell you? He is coming back.
    OK. I'm in!