Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official High School Football Thread

Default The Official High School Football Thread

We need a thread for general posts about high school football. I will admit that I am kind of a junkie. Here goes.

HS playoffs started in Utah on Friday. Amazing play at the very end of the Olympus vs. Springville game. Both teams went back and forth and the score was tied with two seconds left and Olympus had the ball and it was too far for a FG so they tried a trick play. Rumor has it that it even made the EPSN top ten list.

There are several angles. This one is shaky but pretty good:

Story on KSL (with more video):

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=294&sid=2747...nning-trickery
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar

What an awesome play!
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

My kids go to Bingham. My teenage daughters aren't big football fans but have been going to the Bingham games this season with their friends. They are now starting to like football a bit more. The other day at a BYU game my 16 year old daughter asked me what a first down was. What father wouldn't relish the opportunity to explain football to his 16 year old daughter? A great bonding experience for me.

So far Bingham has has rolled through everyone this year (well, Alta provided a scare). It will be absolutely shocking if anyone beats them in the playoffs. I would really like to see Bingham play East (my alma mater). East is averaging 50 points per game - crazy. The upset of the playoffs though has got to be PG over Davis. LOL at Davis - their first loss of the year is at home in the first round of the playoffs. East and Davis used to be in the same region back in the old days so I've always disliked Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    My kids go to Bingham. My teenage daughters aren't big football fans but have been going to the Bingham games this season with their friends. They are now starting to like football a bit more. The other day at a BYU game my 16 year old daughter asked me what a first down was. What father wouldn't relish the opportunity to explain football to his 16 year old daughter? A great bonding experience for me.

So far Bingham has has rolled through everyone this year (well, Alta provided a scare). It will be absolutely shocking if anyone beats them in the playoffs. I would really like to see Bingham play East (my alma mater). East is averaging 50 points per game - crazy. The upset of the playoffs though has got to be PG over Davis. LOL at Davis - their first loss of the year is at home in the first round of the playoffs. East and Davis used to be in the same region back in the old days so I've always disliked Davis.
    Dave Peck has to be considered the best coach in the state, right? I wouldn't have even considered this among his most talented teams and like you said they are steamrolling teams. Impressive how he can have a top team every year, with what has to be very minimal recruiting - if any.

Quit stalking teenagers.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    *Banned*

Riley Nelson's younger brother, Chase Nelson, has been tearing it up at Logan HS this year. He has been putting up video game numbers in both passing and running and is on target to shatter lots of records. However, last week in the second quarter of a first round playoff game he kicked a defender who had just tackled him. Two refs simultaneously threw a flag and he was tossed from the game. Logan was able to win, but it was a very close game. Rumor has it that after the game, Riley Nelson (who is an assistant coach at Logan this year) lost it and had to be restrained from going after the refs.

Well it turns out that by rule, Chase will be forced to sit out the entire quarterfinal game this week. Logan will be playing Olympus, the same team that ran the trick play to beat Springville shown in the OP of this thread. I was hoping to see a Logan vs. East matchup in the semifinal game, but maybe that won't happen now. Details here:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...arterback.html
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkGrace View Post
    What an awesome play!
    Their celebration seemed remarkably subdued given the situation.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Riley Nelson's younger brother, Chase Nelson, has been tearing it up at Logan HS this year. He has been putting up video game numbers in both passing and running and is on target to shatter lots of records. However, last week in the second quarter of a first round playoff game he kicked a defender who had just tackled him. Two refs simultaneously threw a flag and he was tossed from the game. Logan was able to win, but it was a very close game. Rumor has it that after the game, Riley Nelson (who is an assistant coach at Logan this year) lost it and had to be restrained from going after the refs.

Well it turns out that by rule, Chase will be forced to sit out the entire quarterfinal game this week. Logan will be playing Olympus, the same team that ran the trick play to beat Springville shown in the OP of this thread. I was hoping to see a Logan vs. East matchup in the semifinal game, but maybe that won't happen now. Details here:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...arterback.html
    I'd be interested to see video of the kick. Their description of his leg locking up and then extending is interesting, and I would think it would be pretty obvious.

That aside - if he's really injured to the degree described then he may not be available to play the game either way.

We need to close our borders. Where is Romney when you need him!

Bryan Mone DT from Highland who has committed to Michigan
    50 tackles 5.5 sacks

Ula Tolutau running back from East who has committed to Wisconsin
    128 carries 1813 yards and 27 tds, a 14.16 ypc

Dalton Schultz tight end from Bingham that is most likely headed to Stanford
    24 receptions 383 tds and 8 touchdowns

Sam Bennion DE from Logan, committed to Colorado
    48 tackles, 5.5 sacks

Austen Kafentzis QB from Jordan committed to Wisconsin
    154-309 49%, 2479 yards, 18tds and 19 ints
    215 carries 1593 yards and 23 tds 7.16 ypc
    He has had a down year, however his career numbers are:
    556-969 57% 8,520 yards, 73tds and 28 ints
    646 carries 4,659 yards and 68 tds.
    He is also only a junior.

Christian Shaver a defensive end from Jordan that has committed to Colorado
    48 tackles, 4.5 sacks

A few BYU recruits:

Isaiah Nacua a defensive end that plays for Timpview

50 tackles and 15 sacks (lets hope we can get him back)

Gabe Reid another Timpview player and the son of Spencer Reid
    60 tackles 13.5 sacks

Devin Kaufusi as you can guess he plays for Timpview (committed to BYU)
    31 tackles 4 sacks

Pio Stowers again a Timpview kid
    59 tackles, 3 sacks and 6 ints

Kavika Fonua Safety from Syracuse (committed to BYU)
    58 tackles, 1 int
    98 carries for 668 yards and 13 tds

Zac Dawe a defensive tackle from Pleasant grove (committed to BYU)
    34 tackles and 7 sacks

Dayan Lake a junior corner from Northridge (4 star recruit, committed to BYU)
    125 carries 694 yards and 5 tds (5.6 per carry)
    60 receptions 722 yards 4 tds
    58 tackles, 2 sacks and 1 int
    *Banned*

Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    Dayan Lake a junior corner from Northridge (4 star recruit, committed to BYU)
    125 carries 694 yards and 5 tds (5.6 per carry)
    60 receptions 722 yards 4 tds
    58 tackles, 2 sacks and 1 int
    Someone on the radio mentioned the other day that if Lake were already at BYU he would be starting at corner.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

We need to close our borders. Where is Romney when you need him!

Sam Bennion DE from Logan, committed to Colorado
    48 tackles, 5.5 sacks

Christian Shaver a defensive end from Jordan that has committed to Colorado
    48 tackles, 4.5 sacks
    Colorado? Did BYU or Utah want either of those two?

CS Institutional Memory Jarid in Cedar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wapiti View Post
    Colorado? Did BYU or Utah want either of those two?
    I can't speak on Bennion as I have never heard of him, but Shaver was not offered by Utah(and they really didn't pursue him much at all)
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    I'd be interested to see video of the kick. Their description of his leg locking up and then extending is interesting, and I would think it would be pretty obvious.

That aside - if he's really injured to the degree described then he may not be available to play the game either way.
    Yeah, I would like to see it too. I found it kind of odd that they have a policy that these decisions cannot be appealed. They certainly allowed massive appeals by East HS last year.

Yeah, I would like to see it too. I found it kind of odd that they have a policy that these decisions cannot be appealed. They certainly allowed massive appeals by East HS last year.
    A lack of appeal process is strange. You would think if they weren't going to allow for appeal, they would at least tell the kid/school that the case is being reviewed and anything that they want to have considered as part of that review needs to be submitted prior to the review.

I was listening to the HS report on Friday. When they mentioned the penalty / suspension they indicated it would be appealed. As you noted this is an infraction that can't be overturned. I didn't see the play but it has been reported that he was tackled late in the end zone and that the defender wouldn't let go. Re: East. Maybe they should try the "these kids have been through enough" angle.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    I was listening to the HS report on Friday. When they mentioned the penalty / suspension they indicated it would be appealed. As you noted this is an infraction that can't be overturned. I didn't see the play but it has been reported that he was tackled late in the end zone and that the defender wouldn't let go. Re: East. Maybe they should try the "these kids have been through enough" angle.
    Exactly. The Logan coach needs to get on TV and cry like a baby. Certainly worked for Matich.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post

It happens at about the 56 minute mark:

To me his kick looks pretty sissy/weak, but two refs were right there looking at it. Someone on desnews posted the applicable rules/penalties:

Rule2-1
    Fighting is any attempt by a player or nonplayer to strike or engage a player or nonplayer in a combative manner unrelated to football. Such acts include, but are not limited to, attempts to strike an opponent(s) with the arm(s), hand(s), leg(s) or foot (feet), whether or not there is contact.

Rule 9-4-1
    ART. 1 . . . No player or nonplayer shall fight.

PENALTY: Fighting, intentionally contacting a game official, striking, kicking or kneeing. (Arts. 1, 2, 3j) – (S38- 47) – 15 yards and disqualification.
    Someone also posted that the handbook says player ejections cannot be appealed (coach ejections can, but not players).

Quit stalking teenagers.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Interesting post. When I saw the thread title, my first thought was that this thread will assist cougjunkie in stalking teenagers.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

Junkie, your list does not include Anae's son at Timpview.

Junkie, your list does not include Anae's son at Timpview.
    Max Anae 45 tackles and 4 sacks.

The Timpview front 7 is ridiculous.
    *Banned*

My alma mater (Blue Springs, currently with a #21 national ranking from MaxPreps, and #26 from USA Today) advanced to round 2 in the Missouri playoffs with a 42-0 destruction of Lee's Summit North. My daughter's HS (Lee's Summit) advanced to the second round with a 56-24 win over Joplin. The only loss Lee's Summit has is to Blue Springs, which was a 49-7 affair which I had to rub in being that BSHS-LSHS was the big rivalry when I was in school. Next up for my Wildcats is the annual grudge match replay between Blue Springs and Blue Springs South which squeaked by the always tough Rockhurst (which is traditionally a pipeline to Notre Dame).
    Last edited by lambdacoug; 11-06-2013 at 06:28 AM.
    Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
    - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
    - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Quote Originally Posted by scottie View Post
    It happens at about the 56 minute mark:

To me his kick looks pretty sissy/weak, but two refs were right there looking at it. Someone on desnews posted the applicable rules/penalties:

Someone also posted that the handbook says player ejections cannot be appealed (coach ejections can, but not players).
    Thanks for posting the video. I'm somewhat curious as to what their various angles are that the Logan coach refers to. This angle isn't great, particularly being so far away.

I'm also curious as to what the referees heard and said.

I could see them believing that he was mad at the defensive player for continuing through with the tackle once he was in the endzone, and gave him a little kick to show his disapproval. It also looks like he may have been looking over at the refs and grabbed his knee as they were grabbing their flags. And if he was the one penalized 2 plays earlier for the personal foul, I could also see them believing that he has a difficult time controlling his temper and that his little kick was consistent with what they might expect to see from him.

That aside - it is disappointing if that is the end of his HS career and Logan's run this year. I imagine he was a big part of what got them where they are, and that they don't have a backup ready to go who will slide right in without them missing a beat.

Signature won a Pulitzer Paperback Writer's Avatar

Not to be outdone by lambdacoug, my kids' high school (Allen HS) has one game left in the regular season. They are defending 5-A Texas state champs (went 15-1) playing in the largest division. This season they are 9-0 and ranked #3 nationally in an outdated Max Preps poll (don't feel like subscribing for the current rankings) and are ranked #2 nationally by USA today. Just thought I'd post this now in case they get upset next Friday night or lose in the playoffs. BTW, their Center has verballed to BYU.

Prep football in Texas can be kind of crazy especially when playoffs start. Many later round playoff games are played in College stadiums and sometimes NFL stadiums like Cowboys Stadium and Reliant Stadium. Watching video of the Bountiful-Logan playoff game, I kept thinking where are all the fans? Maybe it's the camera angle. But regular season football games for my kids' HS usually draw 10K-15K and sometimes their home stadium sells out (holds 18K). Even more attend playoff games. Friday Night Lights, baby.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Quote Originally Posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    Not to be outdone by lambdacoug, my kids' high school (Allen HS) has one game left in the regular season. They are defending 5-A Texas state champs (went 15-1) playing in the largest division.
    16 games in a high school season?

Jealous.

Jealous.
    But for safety /academic reasons we can only have a 4 team playoff. Don't want college kids playing to many games.
    *Banned*

But for safety /academic reasons we can only have a 4 team playoff. Don't want college kids playing to many games.
    Unless they are in FCS or Division II/III, in which case a lot of playoff games is OK w/r/t safety and academics.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Signature won a Pulitzer Paperback Writer's Avatar

Jealous.
    The regular season is 10 games. In 5-A, as many as half of an 8-team division can qualify for the playoffs. There are two playoff brackets of 64 teams each seperated by enrollment. For example, a district would send its largest two schools to one bracket and the smaller two schools to the other bracket.

So the majority of schools play only 10 games; most don't play more than 12 games. But make it to the finals, and it's 16 games. Texas can get away with it because of the climate. The semis and finals take place in mid-late December. When I played HS football in Nebraska back in the day, the season was 9 games and only district champs qualified for the playoffs (8 teams total). So the finals were played around Thanksgiving.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    Dave Peck has to be considered the best coach in the state, right? I wouldn't have even considered this among his most talented teams and like you said they are steamrolling teams. Impressive how he can have a top team every year, with what has to be very minimal recruiting - if any.
    Things I know about Bingham football and South Jordan that may contribute to Bingham's success:

1. My son is 11 years old now. There are 22 11-year old boys in our neighborhood alone. Of those 22 boys, I think about 15 play football and have been playing since age 8. Multiply that by all the other neighborhoods in South Jordan.
    2. South Jordan is one of the most affluent communities in the state on a per-capita basis. The community invests in football probably more than any other area in the state now that the money has dried up at Cottonwood. Camps, equipment, time, coaches, etc. I'm sure it's not Allen, Texas level of investment but it's still pretty amazing for Utah.
    3. The elements of the offensive and defensive systems run by the high school are taught throughout the youth leagues so those kids that have been playing since age 8 will have been in the system for years by the time they hit high school.

I'm sure there are many other reasons why Bingham is good year after year - these are just some of the things I've observed over the years.

Things I know about Bingham football and South Jordan that may contribute to Bingham's success:

1. My son is 11 years old now. There are 22 11-year old boys in our neighborhood alone. Of those 22 boys, I think about 15 play football and have been playing since age 8. Multiply that by all the other neighborhoods in South Jordan.
    2. South Jordan is one of the most affluent communities in the state on a per-capita basis. The community invests in football probably more than any other area in the state now that the money has dried up at Cottonwood. Camps, equipment, time, coaches, etc. I'm sure it's not Allen, Texas level of investment but it's still pretty amazing for Utah.
    3. The elements of the offensive and defensive systems run by the high school are taught throughout the youth leagues so those kids that have been playing since age 8 will have been in the system for years by the time they hit high school.

I'm sure there are many other reasons why Bingham is good year after year - these are just some of the things I've observed over the years.
    Its funny because I was raised in South Jordan and graduated at the then very new Bingham High School over thirty years ago (we were the first graduating class to attend all three years at the new building) and back then the community was far from affluent and the BHS football teams sucked. Basketball was another story, but football was not pretty.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

This is the key. Skyline did this for years under Dupaix. The youth leagues all ran the option.
    *Banned*