No announcement yet.

The Official High School Football Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of IMG, there is a big article in today's Wall Street Journal about them: https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-a-h...ory-1509122949

This is behind a paywall so here are some of the more interesting points:

Players work out at an $11 million training complex with a high-tech weight room where each repetition is filmed and evaluated by coaches and trainers. Scientists from the Gatorade Sports Science Institute monitor hydration, body composition and other aspects of players’ physical development.

In the past several years, IMG Academy has been transformed into a gleaming, 500-acre campus that includes 52 tennis courts, 24 athletic fields, two five-story dormitories and a 5,000-seat football stadium. Coming soon: a 150-room hotel for visiting parents and college coaches.

Those facilities are signs of a cultural shift in youth sports away from backyards and sandlots. The overall market for youth sports is expected to balloon to $41.2 billion in 2023 from an estimated $19.8 billion this year, according to WinterGreen Research Inc. of Lexington, Mass. Those figures include sports apparel, gear, facilities construction and travel expenses.

Day-to-day life for football players can be grueling, with little down time to socialize or relax. They usually wake up at 6 a.m. to be on the field by 7:45 a.m. for a four-hour block of meetings, film sessions and practice.

After lunch, classes and tutoring sessions run until 5:30 p.m., followed by dinner in the cafeteria. Think kale salads and protein shakes, not sloppy Joes and soda. The evening includes more team meetings and study hall before a 9:45 p.m. curfew. Mandatory lights out is at 10:45 p.m.

Other aspects of campus life resemble a college team’s routine. Teachers travel with players to games, and an in-house media team helps juniors and seniors plan their college commitment announcements.
    Like I said, it's a wonder any normal high school team gets a win against them, although IMG hasn't lost since 2014...

Comment

• A kid from my town transferred to IMG after his sophomore year and will be playing OLB for UVA next year.
      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• timpview
        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• corner canyon

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
            corner canyon
            I'm like LeBron James.
            -mpfunk

Comment

• excited about brayden cosper

Comment

• And it's Bingham and East in the 6A finals (unless Herriman can stage a furious 24 point comeback in the final 10 minutes of the game).

Should be a good game. East will play much better than they did in the first game this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                  And it's Bingham and East in the 6A finals (unless Herriman can stage a furious 24 point comeback in the final 10 minutes of the game).

Should be a good game. East will play much better than they did in the first game this year.
                  live streaming now

Comment

live streaming now
                    where is the live stream?
                    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• ksl

hope bingham smashes the shit out of east. brandon matich can esad

Comment

ksl

hope bingham smashes the shit out of east. brandon matich can esad
                        "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• east

Comment

east

Comment

• First round of Texas HS football playoffs taking place this weekend. The teams that make it to the finals will be playing just before Christmas, six rounds in all after a 10 game regular season. Friday Night Lights.
                              “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                              "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Jerry Jones' grandson's team wins the 5A D2 state championship... John Stephen Jones had 552 yards passing (646 total yards) and 4 TDs. And they didn't take the lead until in the final minute of the game.
                                Last edited by Uncle Ted; 12-23-2017, 05:34 AM.
                                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X